Best value rackmount UPS suggestions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Hey fam, looking for recommendations on best value/bang for buck UPS for my gear. Current active draw on stack is roughly 4A 24/7/365. Seems like brand new is $$$ so I believe I am ok with refurbished UPS from ebay in good condition w/ like-new batteries. Seems like there are a ton of good deals but don't want to shoot myself in the foot. Anyone have some clear standout winners. I may not be up to snuff on all the latest/greatest UPS tech (double conversion/pure since wave/etc.) was thinking something along the lines of these may fit the bill.

SMT1000RM2UC
SMT1500RM2UC
Eaton 5P series [probably out of budget unless I find a smokin' deal]

Not married/set on the idea of APC, just believe they probably make a pretty good UPS, Eaton/Liebert seems wicked expensive but nice. Certainly open to other suggestions as well

Requirements/budget. 2U rackmount, 1U if I can get away with it, LCD screen, reasonably priced/easy to source replacement batteries, network mgmt card would be nice but not a hard req, $150-250

I am off to do some more research/RTFM but would greatly appreciate some feedback/weigh-in.

Kind regards, whitey

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Just found a craiglist post of a good condition APC SmartUPS 2200 for $150 in my area, not bad for a 1K plus UPS although I WAS hoping for shorter depth/less beast...may just jump on this, batteries show 100% in picture

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
You also can look for the SMX line (same as SMT with battery extension capability).

I'd shy away from the Pre SMT/X models since those are quite old (as can be seen on the serial number, week/year included there) and they don't get fw updates any more, o/c therefore they are cheap as dirt.

Replacing the batteries is usually quite simple, even if you get just the batteries without the cable harness (just make sure you have all cables).
Network management card is a nice bonus, especially the environmental one which can add Humidity/Temp sensors; but again often quite pricey, but every now and then you can get those for $60 (card) and $20 (iirc for the sensors)

metag

Apr 26, 2016
I got my two SMT1500RM2 from CraigList for like $90 each? replacement cartridge (4 batteries) from online for about $80.

I would second @Rand__ that network management card is nice to have. Next item on the nice to have list is an auto transfer switch. The 20A APC AP7752 is quite affordable actually (<$150 on ebay right now), you just need to get a $10 cord adapter from Amazon, like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SQGI/

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
NEMA L5-20P input plug. Careful you don't make the spouse mad by unplugging the dryer.
Indeed I saw that maybe an hour after and noticed the step up from the 1500 to the 2200 changed that over from std nema 5-15p to nema 5-20p. Believe they make an adapter or I can re-wire 5-15p up. I DO have a 20 amp circuit on my 1/2 rack stack and only three 2U servers, ICX6610 switch, and modem on my current PDU drawing 4amp steady.

Guess at the end of the day is the deal I found locally 'worth it'? Seems like a $1200 UPS for $150 is and I believe the hassel of a plug conversion is not too bad but I was really after a 1500 model that is shorter depth and std 15p plug.

Last edited:

Michael Hall

Oct 9, 2015
Besides the lack of firmware updates mentioned by Rand_, I'd be concerned about the condition of the capacitors in an SUA, or even worse, an SU, model. I'd maybe consider one from a proper dealer with a warranty, but at C$275 for an SUA1500RM2U from my usual source, I'd probably just spring the extra $55 for an SMC1500-2U (which has a 260 VAh battery, vs. 432 VAh in the SUA or SMT), or the $110 for an SMT1500RM2U.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Ended up with the SMT2200RM2U, mint condition, batteries good, no outer rack rails (gave me a uni rack rail kit though), all and all I am happy w/ it for $150, no network module (empty slot), guy swapped out plug on the end for me prior to arriving. it's running a test workload for now until I get a chance to take down gear and rack it.

Looks like replacement battery kits (RPC43) go for $100-150 depending on what ya wanna spend/who you trust for a battery replacement source. Willing to take good recommendations, saw upsforless/batterysharks and they seemed reasonable when the time comes a couple 2-3 yrs down the road.

Last edited:

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
@whitey I have the Dell version of the APC SMT1500RM2U, your one is just a bit larger capacity, but basically the same unit. The software for the management card feels clunky, aside from that little gripe, my unit has never missed a beat and has already saved my a$$ a few times without complaint or fanfare. I do like that there's an ova appliance for ESXi available, makes things so much easier. The only other gripes I might have would be the convoluted update naming scheme and update process plus the totally baffling website, but if you can make it past all that, you'll be a happy owner :)

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Looks like replacement battery kits (RPC43) go for $100-150 depending on what ya wanna spend/who you trust for a battery replacement source. Willing to take good recommendations, saw upsforless/batterysharks and they seemed reasonable when the time comes a couple 2-3 yrs down the road.
I purchase several hundred batteries per year from Batterysharks (they're close to me, so shipping is reasonable). No problems. Previously I've used Batteryspec / Tempest (though the last few times I've called, they've said that at least some of the batteries I wanted weren't in stock) and Engineered Power Systems / Enersys (batteries were somewhat more expensive than the ones from Batterysharks, and since EPS is in St. Louis, the shipping costs via motor freight were a deal-killer).

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
@whitey I have the Dell version of the APC SMT1500RM2U, your one is just a bit larger capacity, but basically the same unit. The software for the management card feels clunky, aside from that little gripe, my unit has never missed a beat and has already saved my a$$ a few times without complaint or fanfare. I do like that there's an ova appliance for ESXi available, makes things so much easier. The only other gripes I might have would be the convoluted update naming scheme and update process plus the totally baffling website, but if you can make it past all that, you'll be a happy owner :)

What's the model number for the dell one?