Looking for recommendations

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Teeko

Sep 18, 2019
CPU: Threadripper 2950x
Motherboard: Asus ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha
Chassis: Undecided
Drives: None yet
RAM: 32GB DDR4
Add-in Cards: None yet
Power Supply: Undecided
Other Bits:

Usage Profile: Plex server, VMs, docker containers, file storage for immediate and extended family.

Other information: I'm looking for some recommendations, I've been looking at chassis options and it seems I'm limited to 24 bays unless I go for something like this which limits me to 2U on the CPU cooler, which isn't ideal for cooling threadripper. I know I can go for a 24 bay case with an external enclosure in the future when I need it, but I'm trying to build something that will last me more long term. I'm ideally looking for something with more than 30 bays(36 would be ideal) and I'm not really concerned with how large it is, as long is I can fit a 3U cooler in the CPU section. I was eyeing up the Chenbro NR40700 but everything I found for sale either has full systems in it that would be completely useless to me and I'd have to sell off or are being sold without drive rails(who does this and why?). Also I had some reservations about the noise of the NR40700 so I found the thread on modifying the case to support an ATX PSU which I would be potentially interested in doing if no other options existed. Does anyone have any recommendations for a chassis that would hold 36+ drives, 3U CPU cooler compatibility, and preferably ATX PSU compatibility. Does something like this even exist?

The list I had picked out outside of the case: Server

Last edited:

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
CPU: Threadripper 2950x
Motherboard: Asus ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha
Chassis: Undecided
Drives: None yet
RAM: 32GB DDR4
Add-in Cards: None yet
Power Supply: Undecided
Other Bits:

Usage Profile: Plex server, VMs, docker containers, file storage for immediate and extended family.

Other information: I'm looking for some recommendations, I've been looking at chassis options and it seems I'm limited to 24 bays unless I go for something like this which limits me to 2U on the CPU cooler, which isn't ideal for cooling threadripper. I know I can go for a 24 bay case with an external enclosure in the future when I need it, but I'm trying to build something that will last me more long term. I'm ideally looking for something with more than 30 bays(36 would be ideal) and I'm not really concerned with how large it is, as long is I can fit a 3U cooler in the CPU section. I was eyeing up the Chenbro NR40700 but everything I found for sale either has full systems in it that would be completely useless to me and I'd have to sell off or are being sold without drive rails(who does this and why?). Also I had some reservations about the noise of the NR40700 so I found the thread on modifying the case to support an ATX PSU which I would be potentially interested in doing if no other options existed. Does anyone have any recommendations for a chassis that would hold 36+ drives, 3U CPU cooler compatibility, and preferably ATX PSU compatibility. Does something like this even exist?

The list I had picked out outside of the case: Server
Your basic 3U or 4U Supermicro EATX case - you won't be disappointed

Supermicro CSE-846E1-R900B 4U Server Chassis 2x900W 24-Bay 3Gbps BPN-SAS-846EL1 672042018468 | eBay

I have a 2U (8 x 3.5" hotswap) and a 3U 16 x 3.5" hotswap. Got the 3U recently for about $150 shipped, if you shop eBay pretty hard you can find some deals.

Have owned umpteen cases for umpteen home server builds over the past 8 years, rackmount, pedestal, home user cases, etc. etc. Supermicro slays them all without question.

Steer clear of old redundant Tri-PSU versions, they have inefficient power supplies that can't be upgraded. Look for the dual-PSU versions. PSUs can be had for cheap ($20/ea) if you get the newer dual-PSU style.

They just kick so much ass, I can't express this enough.

SRussell

Oct 7, 2019
US
I second the SuperMicro 846. Plenty of storage for a mixed use of 2.5 or 3.5 hard drives.
If you want more than 24 drive bays look at the SuperMicro 847: 24 bays in front, up to an additional 21 in the rear and you can add 2x internal drive bays that holds 2x 2.5” drives.