Dell VRTX chassis and blade compatibility

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Airz

Jan 22, 2014
I'm looking to pickup a used VRTX chassis and I'm wondering if there are any differences in blade compatibility based on the age of the chassis? If I buy an older one would I be able to run the newer blades in it such as the M630 with v4 intel CPUs?

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
I'm looking to pickup a used VRTX chassis and I'm wondering if there are any differences in blade compatibility based on the age of the chassis? If I buy an older one would I be able to run the newer blades in it such as the M630 with v4 intel CPUs?
From Dell's site: Dell PowerEdge VRTX Chassis : Servers | Dell USA
"Up to four hot-plug PowerEdge server nodes (4-socket M830 and 2-socket M640 or M630)"

Pretty sure they're just like the m1000 just a dumb chassis with modular parts.

Airz

Jan 22, 2014
I did look at the Dell site but obviously that information is for the current version being sold. I'm hoping it's as you said and it's just a dumb enclosure but don't want to take the risk without being sure given they still aren't cheap even for the older chassis.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Is it still under warranty? (you can usually email dell support anyway, or even sales to see if its compatible)

Airz

Jan 22, 2014
I've not bought anything yet. Trying to get a good understanding of the platform before investing.

Airz

Jan 22, 2014
Well I've taken the plunge and ordered one with M630p blades with E5 v4 processors so I know they will work. I'm not bothered about the M640 blades as they are to expensive for very little gain as I don't need masses of compute and I get the power advantages of the 14nm process with the v4s anyway.