supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ not booting

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jgrade

Aug 31, 2019
Hello guys,

I have a strange issue with my X9DRi-LN4F+ as you can see in the video bellow
Nothing on the screen
tests done:
removed all memory - beep changed to the correct sequence when you don't have memory
removed CPU power - same beep as in the video

Power supply: Zalman ZM1000-GVM - 1000W
CPU: Set of 2x Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2650L v2 25M Cache, 1.70 GHz
Memory: Hynix HMT42GR7MFR4A-H9 16GB DIMM (checked and it's compatible with the board)

Last edited:

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
That sounds to me like the normal beep sequence I hear when my AMI APTIO BIOS boots :)

Have you tried watching the console over IPMI?

jgrade

Aug 31, 2019
I don't know the default IPMI IP
I cleared the COMS but can't find the default IP anywhere.
I also checked my Router to see the new IPs (in case of DHCP) is enabled and nothing shows up)

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Is the BMC VGA enabled and are you looking at a monitor connected to the VGA connector of the board?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I don't know the default IPMI IP
I cleared the COMS but can't find the default IP anywhere.
I also checked my Router to see the new IPs (in case of DHCP) is enabled and nothing shows up)
192.168.1.99 used to be the normal default, dunno if it has changed in recent years :)

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Yes indeed. But are you getting a picture on the VGA connector ?

BMC heartbeat is blinking as it should.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
What nic port did you try?
Maybe its set not to use the dedicated port and instead share the main ones?

jgrade

Aug 31, 2019
No picture on the VGA
BMC is blinking normally
192.168.1.99- not working :/
Tried all NICs with no luck

NICs blinking but not accessible

Last edited:

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Do any of the NIC's pull an IP from the DHCP server? Does the port come up on the switch? If it does, you can usually get the MAC Address of the NIC from that, or check if there's a label on the board with the MAC Addresse's for the NIC's on there. If you can at least id the hardware address, you might get an IP from an ARP on the major network numbers, or even something useful from Wireshark, Nmap etc :)

Last edited:

jgrade

Aug 31, 2019
What revision is the board 1.10 or 1.20? only the latter revision support V2's.
The revision is 1.20A
Do any of the NIC's pull an IP from the DHCP server? Does the port come up on the switch? If it does, you can usually get the MAC Address of the NIC from that, or check if there's a label on the board with the MAC Addresse's for the NIC's on there. If you can at least id the hardware address, you might get an IP from an ARP on the major network numbers, or even something useful from Wireshark, Nmap etc :)
The NIC's don't pull IP from the DHCP. I see the ports coming on the board and on the switch with traffic flowing but nothing on the Router's DHCP

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
if you have a spare graphics card laying around, try installing it and connecting your monitor to it instead of onboard VGA. see if that gets you console output so you can see POST error codes.

jgrade

Aug 31, 2019
if you have a spare graphics card laying around, try installing it and connecting your monitor to it instead of onboard VGA. see if that gets you console output so you can see POST error codes.
Just tested with a GIGABYTE NVIDIA 1080 with no success. Same beep code as on the video and nothing on the screen.
Reduced the configuration to the simplest possible, one CPU and DIMM (no luck)

One thing that I tested was to remove the CPU power and the behaviour is the same, is it possible the Power Supply is not producing enough "juice" for the CPU?

jgrade

Aug 31, 2019
So I managed it. It looks like I was connecting the GPU not on the correct slot for CPU1
no errors on POST.
Weird the internal VGA doesn't work :/

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Now that you've got a working screen, are you able to configure the IPMI NIC and see if VGA works in the IPMI interface?

Reactions: RedX1

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Have you checked the cmos battery voltage? When it is very low, it can cause weird things to happen. If it is >= 3.0V or you replace it, do a cmos reset, then reboot and make sure it works. Then remove GPU again and see if onboard vga works.

Also, get ipmicfg and factory reset the ipmi. Return everything to factory default settings.

jgrade

Aug 31, 2019
Nice that it now works, weird that the bmc VGA wasn't working. Is it now?
It was the VGA cable that was not working :mad:

Have you checked the cmos battery voltage? When it is very low, it can cause weird things to happen. If it is >= 3.0V or you replace it, do a cmos reset, then reboot and make sure it works. Then remove GPU again and see if onboard vga works.

Also, get ipmicfg and factory reset the ipmi. Return everything to factory default settings.
I flahsed IPMI with the latest version and reverted everything to factory defaults.

Reactions: RageBone