3.5" to 2.5" adapter $3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I tried these in my Supermicro 836 (which uses the same trays as 846), but I found that the holes don't align correctly and I'm only able to attach the drive/bracket with 3 screws. Is that your experience as well, or not?
This wouldn't surprise me as neither one of these seem like authentic goods.

Last edited:

nezach

Oct 14, 2012
I tried these in my Supermicro 836 (which uses the same trays as 846), but I found that the holes don't align correctly and I'm only able to attach the drive/bracket with 3 screws. Is that your experience as well, or not?
I use them in the 826 chassis without problems. They are not great as they limit the airflow, but they are much cheaper than other solutions.

Reactions: Samir

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I use them in the 826 chassis without problems. They are not great as they limit the airflow, but they are much cheaper than other solutions.
you were able to attach the 2.5" drive and bracket with all 4 screws? i mean, yes they work with just 3 screws attached... that's how i'm using them, but not all the holes on all 4 corners lined up for me.

R2D2

Jun 15, 2019
They are not great as they limit the airflow, but they are much cheaper than other solutions.
With regard to Dell servers, they're shaped this way for a reason, to keep pressures and flow as designed when a normal 3.5" HDD the larger caddy is designed for is used.

With newer servers with features like Multi-Vector cooling, this is even more important. These days it's not always about just getting as much air through the chassis as possible :)

Not sure how SM handles it, though

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
If I remember correctly I was using all 4 screws. I couldn't full a caddy out to check what I had on the server but I'll take out a spare adapter and see how it fits.

As far as airflow, I am using this to put SSD in the 3.5" slot. SSD don't generate much heat so I was not too concerned about airflow. Airflow shouldn't be worse than having an actual 3.5" in there.

nezach

Oct 14, 2012
you were able to attach the 2.5" drive and bracket with all 4 screws? i mean, yes they work with just 3 screws attached... that's how i'm using them, but not all the holes on all 4 corners lined up for me.
Yes, all 4 screws and everything lines up correctly. I think i have latest gen 5.5 SM caddies. Here are few pics

Attachments

Reactions: Fritz