Old school DDR3 Ram for a FLCGA1366 System

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
I skipped this generation of mobo so I only know anything about it from my flatmate who has the desktop non server sku of one of these... Now for that board you had to if you were going to fill all memory slots buy a memory kit which was 6 modules of memory which were guaranteed to work together. I.E it's triple channel.

Do servers have the same requirements for this or can you literally grab and drop in 12 DDR3 ECC modules provided they are all the same brand, speed, model and timings?

Cheers

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
IIRC LGA1366 can be picky with RAM, but that's where my knowledge stops.
Was that on a server SKU or a desktop SKU I.E Xeon vs i7-960? I know that the desktop skews were incredibly fussy I am just wondering if the Dual Processor Xeons which take 12 sticks of DDR3 were the same?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I skipped this generation of mobo so I only know anything about it from my flatmate who has the desktop non server sku of one of these... Now for that board you had to if you were going to fill all memory slots buy a memory kit which was 6 modules of memory which were guaranteed to work together. I.E it's triple channel.

Do servers have the same requirements for this or can you literally grab and drop in 12 DDR3 ECC modules provided they are all the same brand, speed, model and timings?

Cheers
If they're the same brand, speed model and timing then they're all the same??

I've used mix-matched with this generation ie: Samsung & Hynix (ECC RDIMM).

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
If they're the same brand, speed model and timing then they're all the same??

I've used mix-matched with this generation ie: Samsung & Hynix (ECC RDIMM).
Thanks for the response, I was actually meaning that on his desktop SKU you actually had to have ram certified as working together in two banks of three, like if you brought a 4 piece DDR Ram kit for a desktop SKU these days they have to be a tested and matched together set. I didn't know if it was the same for the server SKU of 1366 or not, by the sounds of it it's not.

I've ordered 96Gb Hynix HMT41GR7MFR4C 12 x 8Gb PC3-12800 ECC.
Yes I know its DDR3-1600 but it shouldn't really to matter much as because it's trip bank ram the server downgrades the memory speed dependent on the banks populated anyway.

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
should consider upgrade to 2011 v2 system :)
I probably should but I am trying to do this as cheap as chips, so far $100 USD for the board with two low spec CPU's, Two heatsinks and 24gb worth of ram on board, 70 NZD for two higher spec CPUs and $170 USD for 96gb worth of DDR3 1600.

It's very unlikely I could get a 2011 dual proc system for those sorts of $$$ and with the required number of PCIe slots 7+.