Xeon E-2176G w/ two different Supermicro boards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
This looks like an amazing deal to me because it's pretty much exactly what I want. But I'm wary of "new" items on Ebay. (Plus I've still got other machines to configure, lol.)

What else do other people make of new items on Ebay, i.e., why are they there and not second hand and not returned to the vendor?

DanP

Jan 8, 2016
Considering the feedback and 20+ year ebay account I would think there is little to worry about (but I a guess I am biased as its my acution :) ), as far as why? Well we bought 50ish of those as they were the only options for Xeon E's in the early days, we later moved on to ASrock boards and supermicro finally released the x11SCM's. We also started getting our 2276g chips so there was no point in keeping the older ones.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
If I didn't have an i3 X11SCL-iF setup I would have purchased one of the ITX boards. And for what it is worth you can use desktop RAM with the i3s in these boards.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
I've banned myself from buying any more hardware that isn't strictly necessary. But my ideal home server right now would be a mini-ITX board with a Xeon E-2200 and about 6c/12t. The #1 requirement is near-silence. So either of these options would have been great, but I'm getting more and more fussy and careful about which places I buy from these days, and, in particular, what kind of assurances they can offer on the purchase. So if I was very ++Ebay++ these days, I would be ALL OVER THIS DEAL.

Reactions: Yarik Dot

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
If I didn't have an i3 X11SCL-iF setup I would have purchased one of the ITX boards. And for what it is worth you can use desktop RAM with the i3s in these boards.
Can you still use i3's with enabled ECC RAM in these machines? I always thought i3's were an excellent budget server option.

mimino

Nov 2, 2018
I'd bite on this if the price was closer to $400. Newegg Threadripper combo is more appealing I think.

DanP

Jan 8, 2016
to be honest if this is a home server based on the ITX board I would just use the i3-9100f as they are nice and cheap right now and have a good per core speed.

Reactions: Yarik Dot

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
to be honest if this is a home server based on the ITX board I would just use the i3-9100f as they are nice and cheap right now and have a good per core speed.
@DanP - Do you know any superMicro ATX, MicroATX or ITX boards that this CPU works with that has IPMI and ECC Support? I have some tests I'd like to run pending the cost of this complete setup :D

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
@DanP - Do you know any Supermicro ATX, MicroATX or ITX boards that this CPU works with that has IPMI and ECC Support? I have some tests I'd like to run pending the cost of this complete setup :D
Currently there are not any Supermicro boards that support the 9th Gen Intel CPUs with IPMI and ECC support.

DanP

Jan 8, 2016
Currently there are not any Supermicro boards that support the 9th Gen Intel CPUs with IPMI and ECC support.
Are you sure about that? just because they don't list 9th gen on the site doesn't mean it won't work, for example the difference from Xeon E 21xx and 22xx is very minor, a typical Intel stunt of bumping clock per model number but no major gut's changes.

T_Minus, I will double check ECC is indeed on as soon as I get a chance but clearly i3-9100f's work fine on these ITX boards, we have windows server 2012 setupus in use as well as centos 7 setups.

Attachments

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
It seems that SM updated some of their pages to state support for 9th Gen processors. When I was checking about a month ago, they never stated support for them.

osrk

Sep 2, 2019
Considering the feedback and 20+ year ebay account I would think there is little to worry about (but I a guess I am biased as its my acution :) ), as far as why? Well we bought 50ish of those as they were the only options for Xeon E's in the early days, we later moved on to ASrock boards and supermicro finally released the x11SCM's. We also started getting our 2276g chips so there was no point in keeping the older ones.
Can you get 2278gs or 2288gs?