Question about Dynatron cooler for Xeon E5-1650 v3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
I've mentioned in Good Deals post that I recently bought a Supermicro X10SRM-TF motherboard. It came with Dynatron fan. It didn't come with a processor. The motherboard was taken off a brand new server. Most likely 1U, that's why it's a Dynatron fan. From the looks of it, it looks like Dynatron R13, https://www.dynatron.co/product-page/r13 which covers a TDP of 95 watts. My recently bought processor is a Xeon E5-1650 v3, 140W TDP. I wonder if fan can handle the processor?

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I'd look at a different cooler or CPU. 105W and I'd say sure. 140 is a big jump and that's a small heatsink.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
@MiniKnight , the CPU is it for now. So I'd have to look elsewhere for cooler. Do you have suggestion for narrow cooler? The Dynatron cooler is a narrow model. They also have Standard square model for LGA2011-3 sockets. Not sure if Noctua has it.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
Hi. If in case I use the provided Dynatron fan, as bundled with the motherboard I bought (the whole deal was removed from a brand new server), how can I know if my processor is still well within temperature limit, or is it too hot already? The board has BMC, how much is hot for a Xeon E5-1650 V3 processor?

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
@raimond , the case I'm using is Fractal Design Node 804. If you are familiar with the case, it has a motherboard chamber, and drive chamber. The motherboard chamber has provision for fans in front, and fan at the back. I have vans as intake in front, and fans as exhaust at the back. You're saying I can use just passive heatsink without active fan on top? The clearance from motherboard is very tall. So not a big issue. Though I wanted to keep cost low, so wanted to use the Dynatron provided, or, I may have that passive heatsink you mentioned. Passive will be best :D

Please clarify.

Tha_14

Server Newbie
Mar 9, 2017
@raimond , the case I'm using is Fractal Design Node 804. If you are familiar with the case, it has a motherboard chamber, and drive chamber. The motherboard chamber has provision for fans in front, and fan at the back. I have vans as intake in front, and fans as exhaust at the back. You're saying I can use just passive heatsink without active fan on top? The clearance from motherboard is very tall. So not a big issue. Though I wanted to keep cost low, so wanted to use the Dynatron provided, or, I may have that passive heatsink you mentioned. Passive will be best :D

Please clarify.
If I were yoy I would gi e the dynatron a chance. If temps are good then I would use that.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
at 110mm tall I'd go for the Noctua NH-D9DX. the dynatron would probably "work" but is going to be super loud trying to keep the cpu cool and the cpu will likely be throttled quite a bit. It's listed as having "medium OC/Turbo headroom" with the i9-9960X a more power hungry cpu at 165W

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
@Tha_14 , yeah, that's what I'll do first. @Deslok , since this NAS is somewhat out of sight, I'll check first the noise. My main concern is what temperature, at full load, is considered acceptable for such a processor?

Reactions: Tha_14

raimond

Oct 5, 2017
@jang430 it would be best to have a fan blowing air to one side of a passive cooler just like how 1U and 2U servers design airflow in a tight chassis.

IMO simply using the intake and exhaust in that NODE 804 won't be enough for a the supermicro passive coolers I mentioned.

You can test with the Dynatron you have in an open bench and check temps.

Reactions: jang430

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Temperature gets a little fuzzy, the 1650 v3 has a Tcase of 66.7°C(actually fairly low) Tjunction(at the cores) is going to be higher than that but i'm having trouble looking it up. The cpu should do a good job of self regulating like most intel chips do these days thanks to features like speedstep allowing them to go below their base clock to stay at safe temps. Keep an eye on it and if you're not maintaining your base clock(for a non AVX workload) at full load and you're seeing 75+ your cooler isn't keeping up.