this is interesting.. old meets new... SCSI on PCIe

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
this caught my attention:

HP LSI Logic LSI20320IE SCSI Controller 439776-001 439946-001 *Tested* | eBay

Didn't even know such a thing existed. I actually have an old PC around with LSI SCSI card in it that I kept telling myself one day I would pull all the data off those old 9GB SCSI Cheetah drives to archive. This would allow me to get rid of that old PC and it has both internal and external connectors for me to connect to the Sun D1000 array I have too...

The young ones around here probably won't even know about SCSI terminators...

Reactions: itronin

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
It is time to just do it! I found an old Sun SCSI enclosure a few months ago.

Reactions: BLinux

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
That brings back memories... DX33, 48MB RAM, EISA Adaptec SCSI, 2x 1GB 10 or 20MB SCSI drives (probably 5400rpm) Netware 3.12, thinnet 10mb network. Later on 1st gen 15k Seagate U160 drives. Glad those days are over.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
$20.00 seemed reasonable for this and was accepted.

I have a bunch of old DAT's (and drive), plus a handful of scsi HD's to pull data from. I was also keeping an old server PCI motherboard/CPU/Memory, some adaptec cards, cables, width adapters, and terms, around to try restoring the data. At least I can scrap a bunch of stuff assuming this card works even if I don't initially get through all the tapes.

Quick search says this card used to work under Ubuntu 10.x and maybe still does with 18.

dandraver

Aug 26, 2019
compatibility with SCSI technology has been a point of contention in the printing industry. A lot of imagesetters & platesetters that cost in the 6 digit range had scsi connections so many places that invested in these machines hung onto them & some of the legacy equipment that were integrated with them.
about 2 years ago a company called Xitron developed a scsi\USB interface

Xitron SCSI to USB reenergizes legacy CtP machines
11-06-2018, 09:07 AM
Xitron has been awarded US Patent #10108559 for their USB interface designed to drive SCSI, CTP & CTF engines. A nearly 2-year process culminated in the award on October 23, 2018.

Designed to replace aging & outdated SCSI cards driving Kodak Trendsetter CTP engines, the project quickly grew to enable owners of many other SCSI-based CTP & CTF engines to continue their use.

Initially designed to work with Xitron Navigator RIPs & Raster Blaster TIFF Catchers, the new SCSI interface is available in 2 configurations: High-voltage differential (HVD) and Single-Ended.
  • The HVD version drives the Kodak Trendsetter, Agfa Palladio, Fuji Luxel VX 6000 & Fuji 9600 CTP devices.
  • The Single-Ended model drives the Agfa Palladio (if so equipped), Fujifilm 5040 & 5055, Screen FT-R 3035, 3050, & 3055, the Screen Katana 5040 & 5055 and Screen Micra.
During the last 2-years, throughout the patent application process, SCSI interfaces have been sold to customers in need of a solution in the US, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, Latin America, the UK and the European continent. In several cases, they were successfully paired with Fujifilm XMF systems

USB-SCSI Interface, SCSI converter, 64-bit SCSI, USB to SCSI
Harlequin RIP, Upgrade Harlequin RIP v10, Screen RIP, Adobe
Xitron’s unique USB interface bridges the connectivity gap between output device manufacturers and prepress workflows

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
There is absolutely no logical reason for someone to not have done such cards previously if there was demand for them, even low volume at a premium price. For one, there is nothing stopping a manufacturer to use legacy PCI SCSI chips in a PCIe card that includes a builtin PCIe-to-PCI Bridge. Many Sound Cards from the Sound Blaster series were done that way. And there are also several Motherboards with PCI Slots behind those bridges, too. What are so special about these? Was this niche completely neglected?
OS support can technically be completely workarounded via virtualization and passthrough. There are some people that managed to successfully run a 3dfx Voodoo PCI passthroughed, so even if the card has new Windows Drivers, it isn't completely mandatory to use an ancient computer for unsupported cards, either.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
OS support can technically be completely workarounded via virtualization and passthrough. There are some people that managed to successfully run a 3dfx Voodoo PCI passthroughed, so even if the card has new Windows Drivers, it isn't completely mandatory to use an ancient computer for unsupported cards, either.
Say whaaat???? Ok, that's interesting. Please link me to reference?

DanielWood

Sep 14, 2018

grad

Jan 9, 2021
Sorry to resurrect the thread but does anyone know where to find a VHDCI 68 pin to (SCSI-2) HD50 50 pin external cable in European Union ? Or at least a HD68 to HD50 external adapter (if such a thing exists) ? I only have a VHDCI 68pin to HPDB68 (SCSI-3) cable but I need to connect Iomega Jaz and Zip drives which take narrow SCSI 50-pin. I could only locate some in USA and Austalia but they become stupidly expensive after shipping and customs and I couldn't find any SCSI2USB solutions either.

Last edited: