Battery ok, but BIOS wont keep settings X9DRi-LN4F+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TommyL

Jul 7, 2019
Hi!

I have a SM X9DRi-LN4F+ motherboard. IPMI shows VBAT at normal, confirmed by manual measurement. But BIOS settings still change, like for instance the date goes back to 16.march 2019 (which is extra strange, shouldnt it go back to the BIOS manufactering date?).

Does anyone know why?

Regards

Tommy

Last edited:

Tha_14

Server Newbie
Mar 9, 2017
Hi!

I have a SM X9DRi-LN4F+ motherboard. IPMI shows VBAT voltage at normal, confirmed by manual measurement. But settings still change, like for instance the date goes back to 16.march 2019 (which is strange, shouldnt it go back to the BIOS date?).

Does anyone know why?

Regards

Tommy
Far fetched but it could be being changed by software.

Reactions: TommyL

TommyL

Jul 7, 2019
Good suggestion, but this one i have only used memtest on so far. Nothing else but that usb stick.

Reactions: Tha_14

Tha_14

Server Newbie
Mar 9, 2017
Good suggestion, but this one i have only used memtest on so far. No drives yet.
This is indeed very weird. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with your motherboard but hopefully somebody knows what's going on.

@TommyL BTW, what bmc/bios revision are you running? On SM there is R 3.48 for BMC and R 3.3 for BIOS

Last edited:

Stefan2k4

May 17, 2018
Just a shot in the dark here, but some motherboards have a jumper to reset or clear the cmos settings. If this board has such a jumper have you checked that it's not set to clear those settings?

TommyL

Jul 7, 2019
Just a shot in the dark here, but some motherboards have a jumper to reset or clear the cmos settings. If this board has such a jumper have you checked that it's not set to clear those settings?
This motherboard doesnt have a jumper. Theres two soldered points that you have to short circuit with a metal object (i.e. Screwdriver). So that cant be it either...

Regards

Tommy

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I had something similar happen more than a decade ago with someones desktop. The problem turned out to be contamination around the board area of the CMOS chip and battery. Just looking at the board I couldn't really tell, but guessed at the time it was oxidation between pins and component leads. I suggest you pull the board out, remove the CMOS battery and use an old toothbrush with some isopropyl and give the board a good scrub, let it dry then fit a new battery :)

TommyL

Jul 7, 2019
Is the BMC on an open network? Could someone be messing with you/it via that?
Nope, closed network with no internet access.

I had something similar happen more than a decade ago with someones desktop. The problem turned out to be contamination around the board area of the CMOS chip and battery. Just looking at the board I couldn't really tell, but guessed at the time it was oxidation between pins and component leads. I suggest you pull the board out, remove the CMOS battery and use an old toothbrush with some isopropyl and give the board a good scrub, let it dry then fit a new battery :)
Will try. Thanks for the suggestion!