1080 TI FE Fan Speeds

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Running some tests in a new chassis and wondering at what temp the 1080 TI FE ramps up the fan?

GPU hitting 70 - 73 *C with 35% utilization and fans have not ramped up as much as I'd expected yet....
Fan at 43%.

Ambient: 25*C (Yes it's hot in here with this thing going lol)

80*C still climbing at 55% utilization and
Fan at 50%

It seems to me by 70-75*C the fan should be at 80%....

Question:
If I change the fan curve\settings to say 70% all the time and at 75*C 98% fan will this remain configured on new OS install, move GPU to new system, etc... or is it driver\software contorlled by OS that needs re-configured?

Last edited:

William

May 7, 2015
Its controlled by software on the OS, so yeah you would have to reset it every time you moved the GPU.
ASUS GPU Tweak 2 works great for these things.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Its controlled by software on the OS, so yeah you would have to reset it every time you moved the GPU.
ASUS GPU Tweak 2 works great for these things.
Thanks! I haven't checked, but I assume that's for Windows only not Ubuntu?

I was just reading about how it's not a bios adjustment for the GPU :/ and came across some other articles stating you have to actually make the adjustment with a monitor plugged in and\or adjust other settings to trick it into thinking a monitor was plugged in any idea if that's still true or old method @WilliamRE: This article: Burning GPU while training DL model? These commands can cool it down.

Now I'm curious what @Patrick uses on the servers with the FE cards? Adjust the idle and *C fan settings or have it run at say 90% all the time or just leave it and let it bounce off the thermal limits?

Once I saw it hitting >80*C and still around 50% Fan speed I shut down my tests LOL

William

May 7, 2015
Yes, that is correct, its for Windows.
Nice link, I will check it out, thanks :)

I believe he leaves the fan control to the card, I do not think there is anything like ASUS GPU Tweak for servers.

Other than using that software I listed I do not know how to control the fans speeds, sorry I am not much help in this matter.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Yes, that is correct, its for Windows.
Nice link, I will check it out, thanks :)

I believe he leaves the fan control to the card, I do not think there is anything like ASUS GPU Tweak for servers.

Other than using that software I listed I do not know how to control the fans speeds, sorry I am not much help in this matter.
It would seem there would be a lot more articles and posts on setting the fan speed to 90%+ if the throttling was actually affecting performance that much. Watching the power utilization jump from 90w to +\- 200w during stress tests had\s me concerned that performance would be unpredictable as well but maybe the real world usage isn't as hard on them as the stress tests... I was only hitting ~50% GPU utilization though so at my ambient temperature the GPU would not be able to go >50% utilization which is concerning.