HGST 10TB He10 and Intel 200GB S3700

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chris Faber

Feb 13, 2019
***Closed***

I’ve negotiated another round of deals with Michael. He’d prefer selling through his site as to avoid steep fleabay fees. All items are guaranteed and protected through your preferred purchasing mechanism.

HGST 10TB HC510 - ~100hrs runtime @ $179/ea
We can use code STHHDD to receive $40 off per drive. These are open box 4Kn drives at an excellent price! Please be sure your equipment is compatible. The code will also work on the 512e variant.

Intel 200GB S3700 - 92+% Health @ $39/ea
Use code STHSSD to receive $10 off per drive. This code also works on the HGST 200GB SSDs.

Discounts will be applied at checkout.

Last edited:

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
On the HGST's is there any type of factory warranty or only the one through them?

Cybertron

Oct 4, 2016
Atlanta, GA
I just purchased a 200GB S3700 Intel DC drive from another seller 1@$30. But I did have to fight a bit of back and forth with the best offer. Either I got a great deal for just 1, or this isn't a fantastic deal. Just wanted to put that out there.

Chris Faber

Feb 13, 2019
I just purchased a 200GB S3700 Intel DC drive from another seller 1@$30. But I did have to fight a bit of back and forth with the best offer. Either I got a great deal for just 1, or this isn't a fantastic deal. Just wanted to put that out there.
Add depends on condition of drive. Health, endurance, power on hours, etc.

lhibou

Jun 12, 2019
Very nice! Thanks for sharing :)

Bit of a dumb question, but googling didn't fully clear it up for me: will these HGST SAS3 12Gb/s drives work on a SAS2 backplane (probably at slower speeds)? Couldn't really tell if it's backwards compatible.

Propaganda

Dec 6, 2017
I would have thought the pricing on the 10TB drives would at least match the standard "sale" prices for the WD externals. Seems like a hard sale for no warranty long term,higher price, and twice the power draw.

hatchi

Nov 8, 2014
I would have thought the pricing on the 10TB drives would at least match the standard "sale" prices for the WD externals. Seems like a hard sale for no warranty long term,higher price, and twice the power draw.
Those are enterprise SAS drives they sell usually for more even without warranty

Those are very reliable and you can run them for years with zero issues unlike consumer grade drives

Reactions: Samir

Propaganda

Dec 6, 2017
Those are enterprise SAS drives they sell usually for more even without warranty

Those are very reliable and you can run them for years with zero issues unlike consumer grade drives
I have had plenty of bought brand new SAS drives fail. A mechanical hard drive is a mechanical hard drive they will fail, it is just a matter of time. these might be good but they aren't magic. I would rather have a drive with a warranty longer than a month if I am not even saving money on the sale or my electric bill.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I have had plenty of bought brand new SAS drives fail. A mechanical hard drive is a mechanical hard drive they will fail, it is just a matter of time. these might be good but they aren't magic. I would rather have a drive with a warranty longer than a month if I am not even saving money on the sale or my electric bill.
It's a matter of what you're buying. I think most everyone here knows and has experienced that used enterprise gear can sometimes stomp the reliability of even brand new consumer gear. It's not always the case, but it does happen more often than not.

Propaganda

Dec 6, 2017
It's a matter of what you're buying. I think most everyone here knows and has experienced that used enterprise gear can sometimes stomp the reliability of even brand new consumer gear. It's not always the case, but it does happen more often than not.
For most parts of a computer used enterprise gear can be used for many more years without issue but I'm not so sure about a mechanical wear items like a hard drives. Would you rather have 5 year old brakes from a Lamborghini or brand new breaks from a Honda on your car?

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
For most parts of a computer used enterprise gear can be used for many more years without issue but I'm not so sure about a mechanical wear items like a hard drives. Would you rather have 5 year old brakes from a Lamborghini or brand new breaks from a Honda on your car?
Well, Lambo brakes are more expensive, not necessarily longer lasting (not that I'd know ;)) . Maybe the closer analogy is Used brakes rated for 100k miles, that have 5k miles on them already (so all things being equal, have 95k more life on them), or New brakes rated for 30k miles (so all things being equal have 30k miles left on them).

Definitely agree that thrashed enterprise gear is a bad idea. A while back, I got a "barely used" enterprise drive on Ebay that wound up having 60,000 hours run time in SMART and immediately asked for a refund. But if these drives for sale here, that are rated at 2.5 million hours MTBF, really do have only ~100 hours on them, then they have (all things being equal) 2.499 million hours left. A new 10GB WD Red, on the other hand is rated at 1 million hours MTBF, less than half that of the used drive here.

Although, I agree, warranty can be a concern for a lot of folks.

Propaganda

Dec 6, 2017
This is my comparison of cost HGST 10TB vs WD Sata offering. At least with my power rate you can buy nearly 4 extra sata drives after 5 years total operating cost.

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
This is my comparison of cost HGST 10TB vs WD Sata offering. At least with my power rate you can buy nearly 4 extra sata drives after 5 years total operating cost.
Uh, the WD Red 10 is a 5400 rpm drive. Not to mention I sell my 10TB HGSTs with warranty for less than $180 and they're 7200rpm.

Moreover for "enterprise" level things or even systems such as ZFS- error rates with SAS are far lower.

SAS vs. SATA

Why is this even a comparison?

Propaganda

Dec 6, 2017
Well this drive is 179, if you find me a deal for less that might be more appealing. All I am trying to do is analyze this "deal" as someone who is trying to build a file server currently and it doesn't appear that economical compared with the alternatives. I can build an 8 drive array with the SAS 7200 drives or 12 5400 drives for the same price.

That article reads more like an endorsement for not using raid5\6 and stick to raid10 and to use ZFS to combat bit rot more than to use sas drives.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
Nice drive but yeah I'll personally stick with the WD RED just because I use them for a NAS and the lower power and heat are of major importance. If I was actually going for a performance system these would be the absolute winner between the two.