Configure Your Own Jellyfish Fryer All-Flash NAS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I wonder how the 8TB QLC drives in the deal section would hold up to a workload like this, it's mostly linear for video editing right?

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Something about Linus just strokes me the wrong way. No doubt he is a youtube celebrity, a successful businessman and probably many other things. But the broad spectrum technology expert he portrays himself to be, he is clearly not. Namely anything storage, networking and virtualization related are not his areas of expertise.

I just wish there was a better way to promote STH than giving any credibility to Linus the Impostor.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Something about Linus just strokes me the wrong way. No doubt he is a youtube celebrity, a successful businessman and probably many other things. But the broad spectrum technology expert he portrays himself to be, he is clearly not. Namely anything storage, networking and virtualization related are not his areas of expertise.

I just wish there was a better way to promote STH than giving any credibility to Linus the Impostor.
You should watch him flail about with his "water cooled server" trying to figure out a better encode server(I really wish he would lean on the guys at puget systems more when he does that crap) That said he's at least entertaining and more often than not a decent watch. Patrick needs his own "STH" youtube with more network and server stuff I think

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
"Linus the Imposter" is a bit of a stretch. He clearly knows from Youtube's analytics when people will turn off ("bear with me for a second"). Which is when things get even a wee bit technical. So he throws around a bunch of tech terms like raidz2 and that's as far as he CAN go. His audience is literally anybody interested in not buying random shit but selecting a product because of feature a or b. That is what he delivers.

If you know what LACP is, you are member of the the sub-1% nerd gang and are indeed better served on STH.

What really bugged me about the video was the lack of a backup solution for the storage machine. Everyone using that as-is is one serious lightning strike away from losing all data.

Reactions: lowfat

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have to say, I was a bit surprised with how much he knew. Sure, he was not super deep in every subject, but that is hard to do. Ask me about the nuances of smartphone SoC optimizations for example.

On the backup solution, the idea was to use one of the big hard drive units as the backup target. That is, as you point out, an issue for these video content creators.

@Deslok like this? ServeTheHomeVideo

Reactions: SRussell

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
I did not imply that he knew nothing at all. Obviously he picked up some things while watching other people solve his problems over the years.
I also do not think that he is not smart enough to really learn the stuff he is talking about. But for now he is just blindly endorsing his sponsors' products most of the time. All while pretending to be an expert.

Every time he tells the audience that he is going to spare them boring technical details - you can tell that everything he already said on the subject was the real extent of his (and his staff combined) knowledge. There is no skipping any details when he's describing some new gaming video card performance improvement. Just saying.

Again, I completely understand why he does what he does. It's just business. I do not blame him for that. I just did not think that he deserved the endorsement from the real experts.

Last edited:

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I just did not think that he deserved the endorsement from the real experts.
I saw this as the opposite. LTT having him on was deferring to an expert. It's better than to pretend to know everything.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
@Patrick yes exactly like that, maybe with a few more teardown/build videos added to the mix :p I'd love to see you build a "mini fryer" as an itx m.2 build out of something like the X10SDV-4C+-TLN4F if it supports bifurcation 5x m.2 nvme would rock XD

Reactions: Patrick

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Why didn't you run a DHCP server or a bridge on the Ports?
When you mentioned the "Experimental" settings and stuff iX patched / you patched into it, i hoped for upcoming and official support for exactly that!

And i'm amazed that in an directly connected scenario on the Jellyfish, it doesn't bridge ports or comes with a DHCP server running, or does it?

I have to admit, on Freenas, DHCP requires a full VM and Bridging ports is a Tunables Mess and a Mess in general since nothing in the system thinks you can do it but i digress.

Just a bit baffled by all of this.

Mam89

Jan 14, 2016
SoCal
The whole idea of direct attached shared storage via FreeNAS is laughable. That's kinda taking FreeNAS and removing the NAS part.... Like Patrick said, just add a freaking switch! The cost of going from individual 40Gb -> Thunderbolt Direct Attached will cost so much more when scaling past a couple units (40Gb cards for server + Converter) than just buying a freaking switch.

Also, being part of the 1% as Stephan says, any of Linus' videos involving anything remotely outside of consumer grade knowledge gives me aneurysms. Having Patrick come and help out did two things for me: 1) Show Linus can actually look for expert help outside of his team, 2) Gave STH a bit of spotlight in an otherwise desert landscape of "tech-experts."

Well done Patrick! Hopefully this project will open additional doors for STH, or at least have been fun to do.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
I see that some people strongly disagree with my "Linus the Impostor" comment and I feel like I need to explain myself. But instead I could just let Linus speak for himself - WAN Show 8/30/2019

LTT staff: so I don't really know the details but basically what's happened...
Linus: that's fine, just read the thing and pretend you know...

I "discovered" his youtube channel just about couple of years ago. I was intrigued by a tech youtuber having more than 3 million subscribers (at the time) enough to go back and watch close to a hundred of his videos, mostly WAN Shows (since I had no interest in RGB lighting or GPU overclocking), going back almost to the beginning of the channel. The WAN Show is a loosely scripted and live-streamed weekly tech news roundup. The result of being live-streamed and therefore unedited was showing more of true Linus personality (and level of expertise) than in his regular post-edited content. And as far as I can tell, this "read the script and pretend that you know what you are talking about" has been his personal motto from very beginning.

And to be clear I am not blaming him for anything. This strategy worked great for him as a businessman. I am just slightly annoyed with his fan base. Also it hurts to see other far more knowledgeable people suck up to him because of his commercial success.

Last edited:

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
I am not agreeing or disagreeing but to be a true expert you have to niche down and spend so much time in a small area of expertise that your broad base knowledge usually suffers. Conversely, to appeal to a large audience you need to have a wide and consequently more shallow expertise in each area. 3 million+ subscribers says to me he is doing the latter and probably doing a good job at that and making a good income for himself. So good for him.

I bet there are top overlockers that don't know crap about networking and great network engineers that have never built a computer themselves. There are great surgeons who you would not want to be your child's pediatrician and vice versus.

So he isn't an imposter and maybe he is a good expert for the masses. He appears to have more expertise in a wide range of computer-related areas than average so, he is a good person to provide news and advice to the average person who wants to do something occasionally techie. Obviously, if you are on STH forums discussing, something like how you are going to do 40 gig networking on your home NAS/SAN then, you are going to see that his networking knowledge and other areas are beneath yours.

IMHO if you are going to criticize him, it should focus on whether he is good at teaching/explaining or not and whether he is oversimplifying to the point of doing a disservice or failing to refer viewers to niche experts when they will need it. I do not know enough about him to have any comments on those topics.

Reactions: lowfat and William

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
to appeal to a large audience you need to have a wide and consequently more shallow expertise in each area
You are missing my point completely. The issue is not his actual level of expertise but rather his regular misrepresentation of it. Linus is being dishonest by pretending to have deeper understanding of many things he talks about. He does so for a financial gain. But obviously he is far from being the only youtube "expert" doing it and I would never think to complain about that. It would be completely pointless. He is not going to change.

if you are going to criticize him
For the last time, I am not criticizing Linus. My main grievance is not with him but with the actual experts lending him credibility.

I would not care one bit about his channel if not for some people I know in real life (including in professional setting) questioning my own expertise because my recommendations contradicted some of Linus' product endorsements. As a matter of fact, this is how I discovered LTT - an old friend (and a client) of mine asked me to build an Unraid server for his business. And he had some hard time believing me that his current storage solution was vastly superior to what he was asking me to replace it with just because he heard from Linus that Unraid was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Last edited: