HP ws460c G8 Expansion Trouble

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sdsw4

Jul 31, 2019
So I've decided to put together a custom Hp WS460c g8 build. Looking online it seems I'm the first to attempt using a g8 server off the rack, and the first to use a WS instead of BL on top of that. I didn't build it for gaming, just needed a more capable system for handling various intensive projects (such as physics simulations and rendering)

I chose 2x e5-2697V2 processors, and balanced the ram between them with two 32gb lrdimm sticks. I slapped a simple 320gb SATA drive for storage. The p220i raid controller complains it's not "genuine" but I don't care much for the special status lights (and I'm not using the right caddies anyway). It came with a quadro 1000m with the mezzanine to mxm adapter, so that was a plus. Using the HP power calculator, this server should draw around 320 watts at full load. I chose a 550w Dell server PSU to get started.
After working out a custom liquid cooling system and setting appropriate DIP switches, the server starts up and chuggs along.

However, I soon came to realize being forced to use RDP to have access to the "real" GPU was quite the sub-par experience. In response, I purchased the specific expansion blade and a quadro k6000 as well as the multicarrier for future use. I also had to purchase the mezzanine pass-through and link cable since they are typically sold separately to increase profits. To cope with the increased power consumption, I purchased another 550w psu and connected it (and the other psu) to the expansion blade and main computer.
After installing the k6000 and expansion per HP instructions link, the expansion refuses to to anything but output an amber health light. It is visible bottom right.

According to link, this means there may be a problem with the power supply. However, after:
A) Running the two on one psu
B) Running the main server on one psu and the expansion on another
C) Not connecting a psu to the expansion and connecting both to the main server
D) Connecting 12v to both pairs power plugs on the main server and expansion
E) Powering the gpu manually with 6 and 8 pin connector, while running the expansion with and without power
still yields the problem. I verified both psus can power the main server individually with little voltage drop under heavy load.
The gpu is not seen by the bios or Windows in any of the mentioned circumstances. I also tested with a Titan X just in case (visible above) and the multicarrier. None of the GPU setups show any signs of activity either. The Matrox is the server's built-in "gpu."

I also tested with and without the mezzanine gpu, and alternated which mezzanine slot the pass-through and gpu are connected to.
In addition, I ensured the pass-through to expansion cable was plugged into the port adjacent to the desired lane, as per HP instructions link. The GPU is on the bottom lane, so the cable must be plugged into the bottom port. Just in case, I also plugged it into the top port and tested it, but no change.

I took a multimeter to the 8+6+6 power connector (which connects to the expansion blade and provides power), and found there to be between .16 and .20 volts on the 12v lines. This only happens when the main server is running, indicating there is a connection between the main server and the expansion blade.
There is also a blinking green led on the expansion blade's board which happens as long as there is 12v connected.

Which I can find nothing about.

I am hoping it is just the psus not providing enough wattage (a 1200w psu is on the way) and not the expansion blade being broken or requiring some logic from a blade enclosure.
Would there be anyone who may have any input as to why this is not working? I have exhausted all the testing combinations I can think of. I apologize if this is content heavy, but I see the need to produce enough detail to help you help me.

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
It would be interesting to have a writeup about how you powered and setup the Bl460C outside a blade enclosure - do you have that anywhere?