Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
So what are my choices if I want L3 switch with two or more SPF+ ports and PoE is not a requirement, under (or max) 24 ports?
2nd hand of course...

Last edited:

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
So what are my choices if I want L3 switch with two or more SPF+ ports and PoE is not a requirement, under (or max) 24 ports?
2nd hand of course...
If that's what you want without POE someone already suggested the CSS326 which is on amazon for ~130
If you do want POE I have a CRS328-24P-4S+RM running nearly 20 IP cameras right now and the fans aren't spinning so you'd have to pull a lot of power from it to get it to ramp up. I'm currently looking at getting one or if it launches before I pull the trigger a CRS354-48G-4S+2Q+ with POE, and that's with my rack being under my desk(custom rack desk!)

CJRoss

May 31, 2017
Does anyone know what happened to the Aquantia switches? When they announced the cards they said they were also going to be using the same chips to create 10G switches with an estimated cost of $30 per port.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Does anyone know what happened to the Aquantia switches? When they announced the cards they said they were also going to be using the same chips to create 10G switches with an estimated cost of $30 per port.
Wikidev has a list of some hardware that's using it, I don't think the vendors listened to the 30/port suggestion however. That unique Qnap switch linked here earlier was one by the way.
Aquantia - WikiDevi

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Why wouldn't you just get it from Baltik? They're in the US.

@Deslok what model are you waiting for?
He might get it faster since baltic is still "preorder"

At work I really want a CRS354-48G-4S+2Q+ I don't inherently need 40gb but 48 port poe would be huge for cameras and phones, overkill for home but I do want 40gb ports for home between my workstation and server(they're all of 3 foot from eachother) I'm going to do it direct but if I could get a switch with 40gb i'd take advantage of it otherwise i'm leaning towards a CRS328-24P-4S+RM (although I recently saw the Brocade ICX6610-48P for less on ebay which is tempting as well)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The MikroTik CRS312-4C+8XG-RM arrived. At idle, even with no active ports, it is too loud to sit in an office. In an equipment cabinet, no problem. I am not sure why they use fans this loud.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
The MikroTik CRS312-4C+8XG-RM arrived. At idle, even with no active ports, it is too loud to sit in an office. In an equipment cabinet, no problem. I am not sure why they use fans this loud.
with the CRS317 being so quiet do you think the noise is due to extra heat thanks to the 10GbaseT ports? a quick look shows mikrotik raiting the CRS312 for more power at the high end(also interesting note they say the 317 has 1gb ram but only 64mb ram on the 312 although they both support routerOS although the 317 gets level 6 vs level 5 which is odd)

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I still can’t believe it’s that hard for somebody to make a decent reliable fanless 4-8 port 10G copper or mixed switch. (With proper layer 3 performance and features)

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Is this with SwitchOS or RouterOS?

I seem to recall that there can be a difference between the two, so have you tried if it makes any difference if you change the software? (my understanding is that you probably want RouterOS, as it is my understanding that it gets all the new changes first)

On another note, it is quite interesting to look at the block diagrams of the CRS317 and CRS312.
The switches apparently uses almost the same Marvell switch chip (98DX8216 vs 98DX8212), but for some reason they appear to have added a QCA SoC (from what I can tell, older 802.11n chip with fast ethernet) to function as the application processor (or whatever you call it, it does management) in the CRS312.

I can make many guesses as to why they would do this (cost savings or unification around QCA hardware would be my primary guesses), but all in all it seems like the CRS312 is worse in that aspect for some reason (the CRS317 has 1GB of RAM and a dual core ARMv7 CPU vs. 64MB and a single MIPS 24Kc core). Obviously the Mikrotik CRS switches were never (good) routers, so it may make little difference, but it just seems wrong to me, given that the Marvell switch chip should have the same ARMv7 CPU integrated.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org

I seem to recall that there can be a difference between the two, so have you tried if it makes any difference if you change the software? (my understanding is that you probably want RouterOS, as it is my understanding that it gets all the new changes first)

On another note, it is quite interesting to look at the block diagrams of the CRS317 and CRS312.
The switches apparently uses almost the same Marvell switch chip (98DX8216 vs 98DX8212), but for some reason they appear to have added a QCA SoC (from what I can tell, older 802.11n chip with fast ethernet) to function as the application processor (or whatever you call it, it does management) in the CRS312.

I can make many guesses as to why they would do this (cost savings or unification around QCA hardware would be my primary guesses), but all in all it seems like the CRS312 is worse in that aspect for some reason (the CRS317 has 1GB of RAM and a dual core ARMv7 CPU vs. 64MB and a single MIPS 24Kc core). Obviously the Mikrotik CRS switches were never (good) routers, so it may make little difference, but it just seems wrong to me, given that the Marvell switch chip should have the same ARMv7 CPU integrated.
I'm just using the 317 as a "dumb" data only switch(not even on the main network) and it's doing great, as far as routers though the 317 comes with RoS L6 and the 312 comes with L5, I do have a coworker using a 328 as his router and switch as a residential device and it's doing fine
MikroTik

hjfr

Nov 21, 2013
France
This switch is very recent and seems to be very good: eight multigig (1G/2,5G/5G/10G) RJ45 ports + four combo (1G/10G) RJ45/SFP+ and dual power.

- Some tests of power consumptions ? (60w max specified in datasheet)
- Jumbo support ?

You choose: SwOS or RouterOS

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
You choose: SwOS or RouterOS
Not to be rude here, but I know, what I was referring to, was whether Patrick was using SwitchOS or RouterOS :)
I have seen forums posts (for the CRS328 I believe it was), where the fans behaved differently depending on which OS you were using.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Not to be rude here, but I know, what I was referring to, was whether Patrick was using SwitchOS or RouterOS :)
I have seen forums posts (for the CRS328 I believe it was), where the fans behaved differently depending on which OS you were using.
RouterOS. I am not a big SwitchOS fan yet.