M11SDV* ECC memory module compatibility

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Pakna

May 7, 2019
I am specifically targeting MBD-M11SDV-4C-LN4F-O and MBD-M11SDV-8C-LN4F-O for use in my homelab environment and would absolutely target ECC modules - any guidance which to choose? Even better if existing users of these EPYC 3000 boards chime in.

More precisely:
- for MBD-M11SDV-4C-LN4F-O -> I am looking for a 2x4 GB or 2x8 GB combination
- for MBD-M11SDV-8C-LN4F-O -> I am looking for a 2x32 GB combination

Ideally, I'd source this off of the Canadian Newegg but I have no problems considering other places.

Supermicro's own website doesn't offer a lot of options when it comes to tested RAM modules and I wouldn't want to get into a situation where I spend days of hair pulling because of incompatible RAM (not to mention having to pay restocking fees on Newegg/Nemix).

Thanks.

Pakna

May 7, 2019
Thanks, that's great news, so it doesn't have to be necessarily the exact same memory the Supermicro has tested with - glad to hear the boards are not picky (I am assuming it's the same thing with 4C as they seem pretty much identical).

BTW, I see you've solved your issue by with temperatures on 3251 by switching over to 1U chassis and installing a couple of Supermicro 40 mm fans? I don't recall if you ended up replacing the thermal paste as well? Was it difficult to dislodge the heatsink?

I am also a bit concerned with the temps under load - I was thinking of going with CSE-505-203B (which has ports facing front of chassis and more perforations, so probably more airflow), putting several Noctua 40 mm for some front to back airflow and probably kind of "ghetto-ing in" (e.g. with zipties and rubber feet) a slim Noctua 92 mm (14 mm) to provide some direct airflow to the heatsink, SSD and DRAM modules. Do you have any pictures of the inside where we could guesstimate if this fan would fit? I would imagine it would, as the 8C+ is actively cooled and that fan doesn't seem particulary slim.
Lastly, do you think there a chance the whole heatsink assembly might be replaced with a more performant solution? I tried to estimate the heatsink dimensions from existing images, seems like 70x70 mm , which doesn't seem standard at all.

Reactions: Tha_14

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks, that's great news, so it doesn't have to be necessarily the exact same memory the Supermicro has tested with - glad to hear the boards are not picky (I am assuming it's the same thing with 4C as they seem pretty much identical).
That's right, they're not picky in my experience. I generally try to buy off the supported memory list but when I've deviated from it, it hasn't been a problem.
BTW, I see you've solved your issue by with temperatures on 3251 by switching over to 1U chassis and installing a couple of Supermicro 40 mm fans?
That's right, everything stays perfectly cool in the 1U case. I'm using the CSE-504-203B, similar to what you're looking at. I bought all the parts that make-up the AS-5019D-FTN4, essentially, just with a slightly different chassis:
  • Supermicro CSE-504-203B
  • + 1 x MCP-260-00085-0B (I/O Shield)
  • + 2 x FAN-0100L4 (Case fan)
  • + 2 x MCP-320-81302-0B (Case fan tray)
  • + 1 x RSC-RR1U-E16 PCI-E Riser Card
I don't recall if you ended up replacing the thermal paste as well? Was it difficult to dislodge the heatsink?
I did replace the paste and it wasn't difficult. I was nervous about doing so after having damaged a previous Xeon D board, but it wasn't difficult and worked fine. Since I did this before changing cases I don't actually know if this was needed or worthwhile in any way.
I am also a bit concerned with the temps under load - I was thinking of going with CSE-505-203B (which has ports facing front of chassis and more perforations, so probably more airflow), putting several Noctua 40 mm for some front to back airflow and probably kind of "ghetto-ing in" (e.g. with zipties and rubber feet) a slim Noctua 92 mm (14 mm) to provide some direct airflow to the heatsink, SSD and DRAM modules.
Under CPU load my fans spin much faster than the Noctua 40mm fans are rated at, so I don't think those Noctua fans will cut it. The SuperMicro FAN-0100L4 fans are cheap (relative to Noctuas), surprisingly quiet at both idle and load, and spin up to very fast speeds as needed.
Do you have any pictures of the inside where we could guesstimate if this fan would fit? I would imagine it would, as the 8C+ is actively cooled and that fan doesn't seem particulary slim. Lastly, do you think there a chance the whle heatsink assembly might be replaced with a more performant solution? I tried to estimate the heatsink dimensions from existing images, seems like 70x70 mm , which doesn't seem standard at all.
I don't have the machine handy atm but there's a bunch of pictures of the motherboard and case at https://www.servethehome.com/supermicro-as-5019d-ftn4-review-a-1u-amd-epyc-3251-server/

FWIW I overthought this before just going all in on the proper way of handling this and it sounds like you're doing the same: just get a 1U SuperMicro case, buy some SuperMicro fans, and call it a day. The solution is surprisingly quiet (my stock Netgear switch is MUCH louder, for example).

Reactions: Pakna