Sun Ultra24 Chassis Front Fan Mount

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Murray Blakeman

Jul 18, 2019
I've recently completed a similar EPYC build to the one completed by Patrick. This was an upgrade to my Sun Ultra24 workstation, which I have used since 2009. After a few hours with a multi-meter to work out the front panel cables, the build went smoothly and I now have a workstation with the following setup;

- Supermicro EPYC 7000 Series Motherboard (H11SSL-i-O)
- AMD EPYC™ 7401P: 24 Core Processor
- Supermicro H11 AMD EPYC™ 7000 Series CPU Heat Sink (SNK-P0064AP4)
- Supermicro PCI-E 3.0 Card 4 x NVMe M.2 (AOC-SHG3-4M2P)
- WD Black 500GB NVMe x 2 (WDS500G3X0C)
- NVIDIA® Quadro RTX™ 4000
- Crucial 16GB ECC DDR4 2666MHz x 4
- Seasonic 1000W PRIME Ultra 80+ Titanium (SSR-1000TR)

I have just purchased a "Noctua NF-B9 92mm Redux Ed. PWM Cooling Fan" for the front of the chassis. Would be great to get some advice on how to best mount the fan considering the strange mount points on the case. See picture below.

Ultra 24 Front Panel Fan Mount.jpg

Any help will be much appreciated.

If anyone wants the detail in relation to the front panel wiring, let me know.

I'll post some pictures of my build shortly.

Reactions: BLinux

Psycho_Robotico

Nov 23, 2014
Hi, nice setup!
Could you share some numbers regarding power consumption with idle, partial and full CPU load?

PD_ZFS-User

Jul 13, 2018
I have just purchased a "Noctua NF-B9 92mm Redux Ed. PWM Cooling Fan" for the front of the chassis. Would be great to get some advice on how to best mount the fan considering the strange mount points on the case. See picture below.

Any help will be much appreciated.

If anyone wants the detail in relation to the front panel wiring, let me know.

I'll post some pictures of my build shortly.
I have no experience with this chassis, but the holes at the corners look like they were set up to hold some type of vibration dampening grommet or bushing. The bushing/grommet would then have a smaller hole at the center into which you could use normal fan screws or perhaps small machine screws with nuts. I guess it depends how clean or 'factory' of a solution you want.

On the rough end you could use zip ties. Another option might be to cut small triangular plates with fan screw sized holes drilled in them and then epoxy or rivet them over the large diameter holes ( keeping it aligned properly could be challenging, best to use the new fan as a guide). The most 'factory' looking solution would be to find, make or modify some type of flexible rubber grommets to fill the gap from the hole diameter to the fan screw diameter.

Good luck with the fan mount.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
Yeah, I'd probably measure the size of the big circles and measure the size of screws that your fans expect (IIRC, Noctua 120mm fans will fit M5 screws just about perfectly, but I don't know if that's coincidence or a standard), and then order grommets from McMaster-Carr: McMaster-Carr

They're generally the right answer to "where do I find this slightly odd mechanical thing in the precise size that I need with almost no work at all."

Reactions: saedrin