Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I will check...it should be enough space. What is the height of it?
Do you also use a FAN on the heatsink?
I just have a 60mm noctua fan attached to it with zip ties. Here are the exact specs. I have a post somewhere early on in this thread where I talk about how big of a drop in temps I saw from the stock heatsink. It was something like 15C if I remember correctly.

BUF-ECooljag USA

Alexy

ma1
Nov 27, 2018
I just have a 60mm noctua fan attached to it with zip ties. Here are the exact specs. I have a post somewhere early on in this thread where I talk about how big of a drop in temps I saw from the stock heatsink. It was something like 15C if I remember correctly.

BUF-ECooljag USA
I should have 60+mm for 2U heatsink. So BUF-ECooljag should fit.
But you also replaced the back-side for the BUF-ECooljag?

Last edited:

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I should have 60+mm for 2U heatsink. So BUF-ECooljag should fit.
But you also replaces the back-side for the BUF-ECooljag?
To use the screws that come with the BUF-E, yes you'd have to replace the backplate. But you can also just use the screws that come with the stock cooler on the BUF-E and then you don't have to replace the backplate. That's what I did on my 2nd and 3rd installs and it works great.

Alexy

ma1
Nov 27, 2018
But you can also just use the screws that come with the stock cooler on the BUF-E and then you don't have to replace the backplate. That's what I did on my 2nd and 3rd installs and it works great.
so, you just replaced it and used the old holes on heatsink?

Last edited:

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
so, you just replaced it and used the old holes on heatsink?
I took off the stock cooler, kept the backplate on as it's pretty glued on there anyway, and then used the screws that came with the stock cooler to screw the BUF-E into the stock backplate. Works great.

Alexy

ma1
Nov 27, 2018
Well...finally I got BUF-E and replaced my old heatsink. I am really impressed with the results. with my 60mm noctua FAN no higher than 40 Grad :) in normal operating mode (low CPU usage) and now it's really silent!

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Well...finally I got BUF-E and replaced my old heatsink. I am really impressed with the results. with my 60mm noctua FAN no higher than 40 Grad :) in normal operating mode (low CPU usage) and now it's really silent!
That's the same type of results I saw. Glad you're seeing the same :).

Alexy

ma1
Nov 27, 2018
Next test will be to set FAN from original heatsink, that runs on 5100RPM on FULL mode and check the results :)

In my current configuration FAN is located on the right side and brings the air from a side and not from the top, like it was with the original heatsink. I don't know exactly what is more effective but any way I have no space to install 20mm Noctua FAN on on TOP of 2U heatsink -> so , only the FAN from the original heatsink ;)

As soon as I get the next item (tube) that will allow me to montage my FAN correctly to the case I will show my installation... probably it will be quite helpfull.

Last edited:

fl0w

Oct 28, 2015
Paris
I'm real curious why anyone thinks they need to water-cool a 35W chip... That practically doesn't need any active cooling at all.
Simply because there's no way to cool correctly and silently a CPU with only 4 cm height...

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Simply because there's no way to cool correctly and silently a CPU with only 4 cm height...
But it's 35W... it doesn't get hot enough to need that kind of cooling. The additional power needed by the water pump could add up to another 5-10W of power consumption.

Just stick a thicker/taller copper heatsink on the thing and call it a day.

fl0w

Oct 28, 2015
Paris
But it's 35W... it doesn't get hot enough to need that kind of cooling. The additional power needed by the water pump could add up to another 5-10W of power consumption.

Just stick a thicker/taller copper heatsink on the thing and call it a day.
Because you think I haven't already tried?

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
*shrug* I just use the heatsink/fan that came with my 1541 and it's fine. Temps stay under 60C.

That said, I just bought that 60x60x60 hunk of CoolJag copper everyone has been posting in here. I'm going to bend some metal and make a shroud so that it's like the dynatron 2U heatsinks and drop a 40x40x20 Noctua PWM fan on it.

Should be interesting.

Last edited:

Krautmaster

Mar 7, 2019
Why didnt you simply check out radial fans of eg 30 mm height? There are many different 12 Fans on eBay. You could try to tube from side ways.

yao

Jul 17, 2019

BUF-ECooljag USA
Hi, I have got the Cooljag BUF-E heatsink for my X10SDV but have absolute no idea about how to tightly mount a fan on it. Could you please give me a clue? Thanks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Hi, I have got the Cooljag BUF-E heatsink for my X10SDV but have absolute no idea about how to tightly mount a fan on it. Could you please give me a clue? Thanks.
I just added a single zip tie to the bottom of the fan and around the heatsink. See below.

Reactions: altano

HalC

Jul 21, 2019
Spartacus, what size Noctau fan is that? And when you removed the stock heatsink did you have to heat it? If so, how?