EU CSE 815 with X9DRi-LN4F+ Worth checking out

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017

nikalai

Oct 26, 2018
I would pull the motherboard and use it in a 4U chassis. :) Can you buy only the chassis and motherboad without other components?

nask

Apr 19, 2016
Is there someone who already tuned those servers to make them deadly silent?

nask

Apr 19, 2016
This is a goal, I know it's impossible but there are for sure ways to make it silent enough so that you can keep next to you. :)
That's why I asked if there are efficient ways to reduce the noise.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
I would pull the motherboard and use it in a 4U chassis. :) Can you buy only the chassis and motherboad without other components?
I did that - as per the original poster its a great motherboard price.

Btw from the base ebay purchase you get 2 supermicro fanless cpu coolers but from a chassis perspective no rack rails and no caddies.

Reactions: nikalai

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Hi

This is a great motherboard/server at a spectacular price, from a super vendor.

I have both X9DRI-F and a X9DRI-LN4F+ already. This motherboard will eventually end up in a 4u chassis.

I have several other Supermicro DP motherboards both X9 and X10. The X9DRI-LN4F+ is perhaps the most flexible of them all. Just check out the X9DRI-LN4F+ threads on STH. You can bifurcate this MB and even boot from NVME with a Bios mod.
IMG_2202 v2.JPG

At the price offered by BH, I could not resist another “upgrade”, so I bought one unit. I already had some V2 CPU’s and memory sitting in a box.

My unit arrived today, next day shipping within the UK and it was supremely well packed, just like a new SM server.

It came with the latest SM 3.3 Bios and also the latest 3.48 IPMI firmware. It appears almost as “New” with no dirt or dust on the fans, it even had a TPM module. The chassis had the 1u inner rails.

I fitted the CPU’s and 64Mb of memory and the unit sprang into action with the first application of power.

I adjusted the Bios, obtained an IPMI address from DHCP and booted into Linux Mint19, form there I could issue the IPMI raw commands to reset the IPMI password and fan speeds to FD.

With 2 E5 2637 V2 CPU’s (I need the base clock speed) 64MB memory, this unit idles at around 77-80W with the CPU’s at around 30C in a cool room.

The noise from the fans is like a small hair dryer at the Optimal Speed Setting. They are LOUD at Full Speed.

As mentioned above this MB will eventually go into a 4U chassis

I would defiantly buy again from this source. The guys at BH followed up my sale, answered all of my questions and have delivered a unit in absolutely first class condition. I would not hesitate to buy another, particularly at this price.

Here is a like to their main site.
SuperMicro CSE-815 Rack Server - X9DRi-LN4F+ | Cheap, Used, Refurbished

I hope this helps.

Have fun.

RedX1

Reactions: ecosse and nikalai

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Hi

This is a great motherboard/server at a spectacular price, from a super vendor.

I have both X9DRI-F and a X9DRI-LN4F+ already. This motherboard will eventually end up in a 4u chassis.
Have fun.
RedX1
Great write up. I should correct my statement I made above this - mine came with the inner rails. For what that is worth :)

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
You can make a 1U server quiet, if it uses typical 4 pin PWM connectors using something like Noctua NA-FC1. You will have to be resourceful with finding a location for it in the chassis as well as powering it + however many fans are connected to it.

drros

Mar 22, 2019
My unit arrived today, next day shipping within the UK and it was supremely well packed, just like a new SM server.
Any chance you can approximate package weight? Trying to calculate shipping cost.

Jack-BH

Oct 21, 2016
Hi there, thanks for the share RedX1, much appreciated. I'll do my best to cover the questions;

1) Rack rails wise, our current stock was bought in with inner rails, so currently they'll be shipped out with them (at no extra cost, dependent on stock), we do have the outters to create a full kit if required.
2) Weight wise, this can obviously vary a little but it tends to be around the 19KG mark.
3) Server size (chassis), height 1.7"/43mm (1u), width 17.2"/437mm, depth 25.6"/650mm.
4) Postage costs, if bought from ourselves we have really good pricing for EU delivers, shipping to the states etc can become a bit expensive. Just give us a shout with where you want it to go to and we can give you a price.
5) Board compatibility, as Red has said it is possible to stick this board into a 4U chassis. We actually have this exact board in 3 models right now, the CSE-815, CSE-826 & CSE-847. We have previously had them in CSE-825 and CSE-846s also. The vast majority of SuperMicro boards are very flexible and will go in a bunch of chassis.
6) Noise wise, RedX1 is on the money again, these aren't the quietest servers ever. If you're looking for a quite solution, you can stick these in a larger chassis with larger fans or opt for a complete unit that's already pretty quiet. Probably should aim for a 2U unit for homelab use to keep noise down, a good example for a quiet unit would be the Fujitsu RX300 S7 in "Low noise mode", "Sound pressure (LpAm) Low noise mode: 25 dB(A) min, 29 dB(A) max (idle) / 27 dB(A) min, 32 dB(A) max (operating)".

Any questions, give us a shout.

Reactions: nask and nikalai

Jack-BH

Oct 21, 2016
We don't really have the boards stocked on their own, but we have some in damaged chassis which we can do for £60 inc-vat. If we were to remove it and sell it, we'd end up having to charge more for the time unfortunately.

Reactions: TommyL and nikalai