Did I kill my SuperMicro board?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Justiceinacan

Jul 11, 2019
Hi everyone.

I have a SuperMicro H8DGU-F board, dual socket AMD G34 board.
Basically all the parts from this setup were from eBay, and everything worked until I tried to change out the CPUs.

Specs
CPUS : 2x AMD Opteron 6274 [not functioning] (Previously was working with 2x AMD Opteron 6172)
RAM : 8 x 4 GB DDR3-1333 ECC
Board : SuperMicro H8DGU-F
SSD : PNY CS900 120GB
PSU : 750W Rosewill Quark

I guess I'd describe myself as a hobbyist miner, and the board was supposed to come with Opteron 6378s on it- eBay surprise, it didn't. It had Opteron 6172s, which make awful hashrates on Cryptonight-R because they don't support AES, which is what CNR needs to mine efficiently. So I decided to acquire the 6274s which support AES and also have more cores and L3 cache. I'd like to point out that everything was working fine when the Opteron 6172s were installed, but since I installed the 6274s, this happens :

I hit the power button, everything powers up for a second before briefly shutting down, and restarting. No display, no beep codes, no more shutdowns, it just stays on but does nothing.

I just reinstalled the 6172s, and I hit the power button, everything powers up for a second before briefly shutting down, and restarting, then I get a display and it boots.

Do I need to change something to run 6274s? If not, what else should I do to confirm the CPUs are functional or not?

Thanks

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I can't say for certain, but a bit of history and speculation that may help:

The Opteron 6172s are "K10" architecture chips, while the 6274s are the "Bulldozer" architecture that replaced K10. Even though the two work with the same socket, the architectures are completely different.

H8DGU-F came out before the Bulldozer chips did. So, even though the compatibility list on the product page says "6000 series Opteron", the 6274s weren't out when that statement was made, so they may not actually work.

Your motherboards SR5670 chipset is a server version of the 870 chipset from the consumer side (RD870S). The 870 chipsets won't work with Bulldozer CPUs, at least not properly, so I doubt that the server version's compatibility is much different.

Reactions: frogtech and Tha_14

Justiceinacan

Jul 11, 2019
Yeah you're right, I didn't realize but Magny-Cours (Opteron 6100 series) is based off 45nm K10 and Interlagos (Opteron 6200) is based off 32nm Bulldozer. Magny-Cours was released in March 2010 with the H8DGU-F, and Interlagos came out November 2011, so lots of things could change - such as the addition of instruction sets I need from the 6200 series that weren't present before (in the 6100 series). Guess that explains it.

SuperMicro support finally responded and explained that my BIOS is a very early version, but I may have luck flashing up to the latest BIOS. I'll update when I get there.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
SuperMicro support finally responded and explained that my BIOS is a very early version, but I may have luck flashing up to the latest BIOS. I'll update when I get there.
Definitely worth a try. I know on the Intel side, SuperMicro (and Asrock Rack, maybe others) have baked some extra functionality into BIOS that goes beyond Intel's base chipset functionality & supported CPUs. So, they may do the same for AMD products. Sadly, SM isn't always forthcoming about what they've changed/fixed in a BIOS release, so sometimes all you can do is try it and see.

Justiceinacan

Jul 11, 2019
Yeah so they (supermicro tech support) gave me access to an FTP download for BIOS v2.0b, which was made after the Opteron 6274.
Had to load of freeDOS and flash the new BIOS through that, works just fine now.
Thanks

Reactions: BennyT