EU HP Z620 E5-2680v2 128GB PC3-12800 2TB Intel SSD DC S4500

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Azhrarn

Dec 8, 2018
Also a NVidia Quadro K2000
Has been equiped with 3,5" to 2,5" converters for the disk bays as well as one 5 1/4 converter to 1*3,5"+2*2,5".
HP Z620 is a very silent high-end workstation from some years ago.
SMART info indicates 100% Health left ; 55 Power On's, About 1700 hours on and 4TB Written. Should be ok for 5PB.
It was fun putting it together, maxing it, but I want to reuse the money now for another project.
Anybody interested for 800€?
The system is off course in impeccable state and makes no noise. (All fans still good)

Azhrarn

Dec 8, 2018
Only 1240 which is worse then my old pc (i7-3770) that seems to hit 1340.
I don't think a E5-2680v2 was meant for this test.
I do know that in other tests (passmark) it is almost double of my i7-3770. So I guess results depend on what you do with it.
I once did a test in Cinebench 15 and got 1360 for it. Which places it around a i7-8700/ryzen 2600
This processor was meant for running 20,30,40,... of vm's at the same time not to run javascript apparently.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Thank you! I use speed-battle as really quick and dirty test for single thread performance. And the funny thing is the browser affects the results more than the cpu if you're testing between different versions of browsers. I bet if you used portable firefox esr 32-bit, that results would be closer to 1400 if not higher. My e8500 core duo that hits just shy of 700 in chrome hits 1225 in that version of firefox. Of course we know that the performance of a e5-2680v2 will blow away a e8500 core duo, but the single thread performance may be similar for browsing depending on the browser.

I'm sure the passmark test uses multiple cores and stresses the memory sub-system as well, which will make a huge difference in true performance. And cinebench is always a really good stress test.

With 20 cores at your disposal and each running 1240 on speed-battle, that would certainly make a great vm' machine without resorting to a server. :)

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Also a NVidia Quadro K2000
Has been equiped with 3,5" to 2,5" converters for the disk bays as well as one 5 1/4 converter to 1*3,5"+2*2,5".
HP Z620 is a very silent high-end workstation from some years ago.
SMART info indicates 100% Health left ; 55 Power On's, About 1700 hours on and 4TB Written. Should be ok for 5PB.
It was fun putting it together, maxing it, but I want to reuse the money now for another project.
Anybody interested for 800€?
The system is off course in impeccable state and makes no noise. (All fans still good)
Can you post pics of the unit? What wattage power supply does it have?

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
i don't fully understand what that measures, but running a dozen times, i get highly variable scores from 700 to 1000.
I don't either, but like all benchmarks, it can be used to compare one system to another. Although as you've pointed out, the results can vary wildly depending on what else the system is currently being used for. I've found the highest results are from when the system is near idle and after you repeat the test several times in a row to have a range of results that fits a standard deviation curve. The test is also highly dependent on the browser used, and I've found firefox esr 32-bit to have the fastest results, sometimes double chrome (even on 64-bit systems).

The closest thing I've been able to correlate the results to is the single thread performance of a processor, aka how fast a particular system 'feels'. Even with a lot of cores, a lot of multi-core systems are slower in their single-thread performance so they are not as 'peppy'. This simple little test helps to confirm or deny what the processor benchmark sites predict, and can show if a particular upgrade was worth it or not. At least that's what I use it for.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I don't either, but like all benchmarks, it can be used to compare one system to another. Although as you've pointed out, the results can vary wildly depending on what else the system is currently being used for. I've found the highest results are from when the system is near idle and after you repeat the test several times in a row to have a range of results that fits a standard deviation curve. The test is also highly dependent on the browser used, and I've found firefox esr 32-bit to have the fastest results, sometimes double chrome (even on 64-bit systems).

The closest thing I've been able to correlate the results to is the single thread performance of a processor, aka how fast a particular system 'feels'. Even with a lot of cores, a lot of multi-core systems are slower in their single-thread performance so they are not as 'peppy'. This simple little test helps to confirm or deny what the processor benchmark sites predict, and can show if a particular upgrade was worth it or not. At least that's what I use it for.
I think you're right in that it can highly vary depending on what else is going on in the system. because it is such a short test, I think the sampling duration isn't long enough to get a good "average" result. So, i guess it's not a great benchmark in that sense...

for CPU performance, I think I like looking at passmark scores, they have both a single-threaded, and overall (all cores) score that makes it easy to distinguish performance for single-threaded vs multi-threaded.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I think you're right in that it can highly vary depending on what else is going on in the system. because it is such a short test, I think the sampling duration isn't long enough to get a good "average" result. So, i guess it's not a great benchmark in that sense...

for CPU performance, I think I like looking at passmark scores, they have both a single-threaded, and overall (all cores) score that makes it easy to distinguish performance for single-threaded vs multi-threaded.
Well, yes and no. I think it does an adequate job of properly benchmarking the cpu if the testing environment is consistent between comparisons since even in real benchmarking if you run 100 other things during the benchmarks, those results will skew as well.

I actually use a few others to give me an overall idea of what performance level a system is at:
Octane 2.0 JavaScript Benchmark - 40k+ on this is fast for me, but it's also browser based, so there can be some skew from the browsers, but not as much as speed-battle.

MotionMark 1.0 - I've not used this extensively simply because of how long it takes to run and because it does seem like resolution makes a huge impact on the results. The results are all over the place, but it does seem like the test is good if I can control all the other variables.

Lite Brite Browser Performance Benchmark - This one is pretty quick and can also be browser swayed, but about as much as the octane test. I think my wife's macbook holds the record at completely the 'all' test in just over 20 seconds.

PenguinMark - This one is fun to watch and must be for higher powered systems because I'm lucky to see double-digit results if I even get >0 as most of my systems are too slow/old.

I'll use these to figure out if a system upgrade makes sense or did anything to really improve performance.

I use passmark as well to compare cpus and the single thread performance. But it is interesting to do a comparison test in a real-world scenario as well. For example, an upgrade from an i5-2500 to an i7-2600k should have made a difference according to passmark:
PassMark - CPU Comparison Intel i5-2500 vs Intel i7-2600K

But when I did the upgrade to a superior i7-2600k specimen that was actually delidded and could overclock very well, at stock clocks the speed-battle results were the exact same--not worth the upgrade at all.

And then there's the difference between some old lga 771 5130 xeons that were upgraded to dual x5470:
PassMark - CPU Comparison Intel Xeon 5130 vs Intel Xeon X5470

This should have been an absolutely huge upgrade and while speed-battle did almost double, there's a sense of lag with the new processors that I haven't quite figured out yet.

PS to OP: free bump :D

YardBouncer

always yield to the hands-on imperative
Jul 13, 2019
UK
These are super well made machines. I have a Z820, jumped ship from Dell after the T7500 when they changed the case design.

CPU speeds have plateaued in recent years; its mostly been IO upgrades ie drive interfaces, USB speed etc.

These machines have 6GB SATA, USB3, PCI-e 3. They may be a few years old but they are fantastic.
Completely toolless cases, look great, run quiet.

Free bump for OP as these are superb machines and deserve a good home.
Last year I paid nearly £1k for a Z820 with 64GB + 2x E5-2637 V2 plus some other stuff.
This is a decent deal.

Reactions: Samir