Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MikeWebb

Jan 28, 2018
just went to see if the devplops link you sent forever ago still worked.....loving the new page. Sorry that it all had to come to that. Yay 100 and Yay my ICX6610. Just about to load R code and move S to secondary and have a look see at that.

bit.rot

Mar 21, 2019
Seattle
m.facebook.com
Finally replaced the stock fans, one was giving a weird wobbly grindy type of sound that I didn't quite trust. I also didn't care to lower the CFM too much (it's in my basement) so I picked up the following from digikey: Sunon MF40201VX-1000U-G99.
01 (2).jpeg

Pretty painless swap, only issues were getting the wiring right. Old fan used Yellow as +12V and Green as the Tach:
01 (6).jpeg

New fans use Red as +12V and Yellow as the Tach:
01 (4).jpeg

Other minor issue was that the hole size on the fan for the screws was bigger, so I couldn't reuse the old nubby screws. Luckily I had some spare screws from something that fit perfectly:
01 (1).jpeg

All cozy:
01 (5).jpeg

Temps rose around 6 degrees, hovering around 43C. Like I said they're not whisper quiet but are softer on the ears and they move plenty of air for me to not give it even a second thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: aflow and fohdeesha

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
I have said ears and decent CAD knowledge, I'll see what I can draft over the next few days.

Since it's a waterjet, I figure countersinks won't be possible? I'll skip them if it's preferred.

Any preferred file format? Inches or mm?
I know nothing about CAD and waterjets, etc.

Question: what process does allow for countersunk holes? (other than manual method)

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
A 3-axis CNC would be hilariously overkill; the ears are basically a thick piece of bent sheet metal with holes. A waterjet cutter and bending brake should be plenty enough.

Still, if you're interested, here's the 'bent' version of the part; rack ear
I know nothing about CAD : just wanted to say that URL was interesting to look at, thanks

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Are we trying to design a Rube-Goldberg solution for brackets?
It's quite possible that I'm missing something really obvious.
I know Rackmount kits are little pricey. But if you add your time and materials and for the low volume batch, not sure if these attempts are much cheaper even if you own CNC Milling machine or a Waterjet.

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
pretty much any conventional 3-axis CNC would be able to do it. A waterjet cutter that can do 5-axis could also do it since it can angle its cutting nozzle relative to the piece.

Thanks for the video... never saw a 5-axis water jet before.... What do they cost? $25k? $50k? $100k?

Do they use more or less power than a rack of Dell 2950 servers? :)

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
[QUOTE="
It's quite possible that I'm missing something really obvious.
[/QUOTE]

It's because it CAN be done :) Buying stuff on ebay is boring, making your own Rack Ears for yourself and online friends is something a bit different.

I mean this entire forum site is about people having old enterprise gear running in their house :)

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
Just cutting a couple out to help the community. Got the file from @maes, doesn't really take me any time other than sticking the material in and clicking go. The waterjet sits idle in my garage 99% of the time, I got it for making custom engine parts. Mines a 2 axis (OMAX ProtoMax), so basically just 2D parts.
I have no clue who besides myself would have interest, but can you make a simple youtube video while your machine makes a Rack Ear ...

I've never seen a waterjet in person; but on youtube and TV but I think they are such as interesting machine.

Terry Wallace

PsyOps SysOp
Aug 13, 2018
Central Time Zone
No countersinks unfortunately. mm preferred. No need to fully model it, just a flat part with the offset where the bend needs to go is perfect (so I don't need to reflatten it for cutting).
mbsod,
Any chance you'd be interested in making some back long ears for 6610's or 6450's These things droop like a mother with just the front 2 ears. I know a number of us have 4 post racks or cabinets and some long brackets like the ones form the 4 post rack kit would be a god send. Would definitely pay you for them and shipping as you can't find them on ebay

Reactions: ewer0012

kapone

May 23, 2015
@BeTeP - I was about to suggest something similar. While I applaud the effort and ingenuity in making "things"... :) sometimes we get tunnel vision.

The Navepoint brackets work great for lots of stuff. My amplifiers for e.g., they have rack mount brackets, but no "rear" mount. Did the manufacturer really think I was gonna mount a 90lb amp in my rack with just the front ears?? The Navepoint works great for that, so a 6610 is a piece of cake.

p.s. Assuming your rack has U shaped channels (like a lot of cheap racks), you can mount the Navepoint (or others like it) to the inside of the channel. Makes for a clean install on the front.

FRPII

Dec 2, 2015
Received my 6610-48p from eBay today. I'm a bit miffed that it arrived with damaged ports (not from shipping) without being disclosed before purchasing

Imgur

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
I cut out some rack ears using the files posted, but they don't seem to match at all when I went to check. Will be a while before I can pull my switch off the rack if I need to measure it's ears.

Mine looks like this (found on google):

Reactions: tommybackeast