energy efficient x86, 64bit, >4GB RAM (, Arduino interface) SBC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PackElend

Jun 19, 2019
Hello,
I am planning to build a 7/24 home NAS with emphasis on low power consumption, low (preferably zero) noise with 2x3.5" SATA HDDs but I could accept 2.5". The OS choice is not final yet it could be any of FreeNAS, OpenMediaVault, OpenBSD, NAS4free, TrueNAS, TrueOS. I know it is many but I haven't gone into details yet about the differences of these OSs.

For sure, I will run several other services as plugins or docker containers (cloud office, file sharing -> family-wide collaboration). The SBC shall be able to do a basic Plex/KODI transcoding, as that would be very nice to have.

In addition, I would like to be able to communicate via RS232 and switching some digital outputs, thus integrated Arduino would be appreciated.

As these requirements need some ram and horsepower when doing transcoding or using ONLYOFFICE as part of my nextcloud instance. I would rather prefer a 64 bit x86 instead of an ARM CPU, although they run Docker easily too.
So far I considered

1. UDOO X86 II
    UDOO-X86 Part 2: Roaring performance // Review
  2. NVIDIA® Jetson™
  3. LattePanda Alpha 864s, what got an update recently
    LattePanda Alpha: The big mistake? // Review, L.P. Alpha DC power experiments and observations - Page 2 - LattePanda Forum
  4. DROID-H2
Have I missed an SBC?
Is there any experience with these devices?
I'm going in the wrong direction focusing only on the listed SBCs?

Thank you
Stefan

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
yep, it does as it will be well hidden later on, case and form factor are secondary.

any idea about the power consumption, I cannot find anything
Sorry I don’t have any experience on the power consumption of those systems, I would guess idle less than 10w easily enough, they are available in passive cases from Supermicro so can’t be too much.
NUC idle 6-8w usually as well.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
depending on the CPU but what is standard NUC CPU? In addition does this number refer to NUCs with HDD or SDD only?
SSD, but a spiny disk in 2.5” is very similar, have to use 3rd party cases to get 3.5” with an NUC

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Why not just get a 2 bay Synology? It supports Docker and virtualization so long as you get an x86 model like a DS218+. Just upgrade the RAM and you should be set. Power usage on them is only ~5W when idle.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Why not just get a 2 bay Synology? It supports Docker and virtualization so long as you get an x86 model like a DS218+. Just upgrade the RAM and you should be set. Power usage on them is only ~5W when idle.
Yep in this use case seems a good idea, can even run a single lightweight VM or 2 as well if you want.

I have always had a Synology running at home just for backups and random stuff, don’t love them but more or less idiot proof.

PackElend

Jun 19, 2019
SSD, but a spiny disk in 2.5” is very similar, have to use 3rd party cases to get 3.5” with an NUC
will do

Why not just get a 2 bay Synology?
don’t love them but more or less idiot proof.
have the DS 211+
Does not allow that much customization, not that much insight in the OS. Feel somehow limited, in particular when adding Arduino and home automation.

Why UDOO X86 II and not UDOO BOLT?
price :), the BOLD could be my new desktop machine.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
have the DS 211+
Does not allow that much customization, not that much insight in the OS. Feel somehow limited, in particular when adding Arduino and home automation.
I'm not sure what you're after? What exactly do you want to customize for a basic NAS? It's just Linux with mdadm anyway. Enable SSH and you can do whatever you want or better yet, use Docker or a VM?

PackElend

Jun 19, 2019
What exactly do you want to customize for a basic NAS?
The tools coming whit Synology's NASs don't allow things I looked for. Other applications allowed me to do this. Moreover, Synology's DSM shows me for example, what is preventing idle mode. Never felt 100 % comfortable with DSM.
Therefor I need only a NAS OS (either Linux or BSD distribution).

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Except it is Linux? Synology just has a GUI front end on top of Linux like most vendors. What can't you do via SSH, a VM, or Docker container?

PackElend

Jun 19, 2019
Except it is Linux? Synology just has a GUI front end on top of Linux like most vendors.
I'm just fed up with I starting using at the late 4.x stage, going through 5.x and now being at 6.2. It has gone through many improvments yet but still I feeling not comfortable with it. It is properly the accumulation of obstacles in a long shared history.

PackElend

Jun 19, 2019
Hi there,
circumstances had changed a lot last summer (for the better) and so also a possibility of future-oriented Mordernieierunsg has arisen: Devices for shared Internet for an apartment building with seven apartments, IP intercom and possibly DBV-C>IP | ComputerBase Forum, that's all because the intercom system had to be replaced.

The system runs stable and reliable so far (except for one indoor intercom).
I decided to use the Bolt because it can do a little bit of everything :) and I just got it with all the other stuff.

The Bolt now runs TRUE NAS SCALE. It is equipped with

I'll do without SLOG, L2ARC as well as OpenZFS Fusion Pool for now and see what I really need, it also has a good Hardware Recommendations Guide | TrueNAS Community.
It's very likely I'll be back on here when I've had my experiences and there's been quite a bit since the last post.
The Bolt can just a bit of all pretty good and I'm probably it move somewhere else. Now I have the flexibility to try different things, also because I ordered the sensor package.

I'm probably "soon" so far that I can switch the network productively, from then it goes on with the NAS. I Will then (hopefully) document everything on GitHub (if only just for me to know later why I had done what :rolleyes:).

Thanks for the support and have a nice Sunday evening.