Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Terry Wallace

PsyOps SysOp
Aug 13, 2018
Central Time Zone
You want a proper router, you can theoretically do that in the router, but you have no firewall there and you loose alot of functionality.
Even something simple from uqiquti can do dual wan failover. Then pipe that into the router.

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
you won't be able to do any of that with an L3 switch because you'll have 1 IP from your provider, to use that on anything more than one device you're going to need to perform NAT, which L3 switches do not do
Thank you. any recommendations for good router (wired only), more details below? I will probably sell/give away Unifi switch 24 out of the setup below as it serves no purpose.

existing network
ISP (cable 500/50) -> Mikrotik RB 750G r3 (MikroTik)
-> Unifi Switch 24 -> 3x AP-AC-Pro
-> Brocade IXC 6450 as primary switch
-> 10Gb link to NAS , 10Gb link to Domain controller
-> 1Gb to everything else (gaming PC, video workstation, network tuner/printer/voice/nvidia shield/3 nas/etc)
Desired functionality
2 ISPs (500/50 and 100/10) - failover/load balancing
ability to filter out ad networks (DPI?)
budget $200-300
brand preferences - i have both Mikrotik and UBNT and had no issues with either. other brands if they are best options

Questions
1) could Hex handle two ISPs with 600Mbs link or should I upgrade?
2) any of the shelf recommendations (Mikrotik RB4011iGS+RM ? UBNT edgerouter model?) I do not think unifi has anything in the same price range and functionality I want and there is no news for refresh of the USG
3) if I roll my own (pfsense) , what would CPU requirements be? I have a dual core Qotom laying around with 3215U CPU which I do not think would handle it.

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
Questions
1) could Hex handle two ISPs with 600Mbs link or should I upgrade?
2) any of the shelf recommendations (Mikrotik RB4011iGS+RM ? UBNT edgerouter model?) I do not think unifi has anything in the same price range and functionality I want and there is no news for refresh of the USG
3) if I roll my own (pfsense) , what would CPU requirements be? I have a dual core Qotom laying around with 3215U CPU which I do not think would handle it.
Have you tried dual wan setup on the existing Mikrotik router?
MikroTik Dual WAN Load Balancing with Failover using PCC

-j

Hakujou

Apr 28, 2019
Just want to say THANK YOU for all you did. You introduced at least one person to 10G, enterprise grade hardware, and better understanding of networking. Ignore the <> who were somehow thinking it is 'their' licenses and selling with it...
Couldn't agree more. You've been helpful to everyone here, with beginners to advanced users, a huge thanks, really.
Too bad some people ruined this spirit.

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
Very sad to see someone here would put making a quick buck ahead of the community and specifically hurt someone who's done so much for us all like fohdeesha.
Whoever it is - I hope you know what you did really sucks and hurts us all.
fohdeesha - thanks again for all you've done for us. You are an amazing part of the STH community!

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I'm going to have a big think about this

I really don't want to stop helping people out with these because it will screw so many people over but at the same time the fact this keeps happening is mentally exhausting, those who have gotten licenses from me especially know why. I do not hand them out lightly

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
There are bad apples (or just stupid people) in any population sample - the engineers are not different. At least you do not have to deal with haters full of jealousy (why he has it and we don't).

if you have it and able to give freely without any conditions - give freely
if you have it but the only way it could be shared (liability, etc) is with conditions - share the rules
if the person does not want to accept the conditions - it is their choice
if the person someone thinks you are bad, evil ,etc - well , you have no control over it anyway.

Joao Paulo Mello

Jan 16, 2019
I bought my ICX6610 from an ebay longtime and trusted UK seller. It came all licensed reason why I paid a little more. @fohdeesha if you want I can pm the device info so you can check if the license came from you, but I believe that's not the case.
Guys, someone has a spare ICX6610 exhaust fan module to sell? The one that came with the switch is fine but better safe than sorry so I want another one. I found some listed on ebay but too expensive for what it is.
Thanks.