Dell T7600 ES workstation w/ re-programmable bios

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Philmatic

Sep 15, 2011
Does it being an Engineering Sample means it'll only take ES chips and not retail chips? If I didn't overclock, could I just drop retail chips in here?

lowfat

Nov 25, 2016
The E5 Xeons have their bclk ratio locked. So the only way to overclock them is to increase the bclk frequency, which would also increase the PCIe frequency. Anything over about a 3-4% overclock and the system will start to lose stability.

Also the listing doesn't exist now it seems.

EDIT: Odd, when I clicked it before it said the listing didn't exist. But its back.

ru me

Jun 2, 2018
I looked up the service tag. I seems that this might have a custom bios. Could be the main attraction here is the socketed bios. Probably not engineering sample.

cdru

Oct 27, 2018
I looked up the service tag.
That's just a "stock" image for them. If you look at their other auctions for T7600, they all have the same service tag sticker on the back.

Could be the main attraction here is the socketed bios. Probably not engineering sample.
Dell EMC is about 15 minutes away from where the seller is located. I always recognize New Hudson, MI. It's a wide spot in the road with a population of about 6000. I've picked up a few items from them to save on shipping or time, and it's not where you'd expect a decent size salvage/refurbisher to be located. But it's also just on the semi-rural outskirts of Detroit and Ann Arbor...

My guess is this is a development board for testing BIOS builds before they're released into the wild. Socketed chip to allow for easy replacement of updated or bricked bios. I doubt the board is an engineering sample or require ES chips. You probably wouldn't want to test potentially flaky bios builds with a potentially flaky CPUs. Not really all that useful if you're not hacking a Dell T7600 bios, and also not much of a market of non-supported hacked enterprise workstations either.