Dual 2687w V2 CPUs on X9DRi-LN4F+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rrubberr

Light Transport Enthusiast
I recently switched to an older Supermicro server, a 745TQ-R1200B chassis with an X9DRi-LN4F+ main board and have been looking to upgrade the CPUs to the highest end possible for the socket.

The motherboard manual states that it only accepts 135 watt CPUs, but the SNK-P0050AP4 coolers, already installed, list a thermal dissipation of up to 160 watt TDP. In addition, each CPU revives power from one (two total) 8-pin PCIe power connector, each rated at 150 watts (though they can output much more due to each power supply's 83 Amp 12v rail).

To lower peak power consumption, I understand that in the BIOS I could lower the "Short duration power limit" to 1.0x instead of the default '1.2x long duration power limit.'

I know Z820 workstations in this configuration came with some gimmicky "water cooler" type heatsinks. Is this really necessary?

It doesn't seem like power delivery would be an issue, unless the motherboard's VRMs were to get too hot, though I understand these have outlandishly high heat tolerances.

I would opt for the lower-power 2697v2 CPUs, but their price is still prohibitively expensive due to being the top-end part of that generation. They also perform virtually the same as the 2687w V2, since the clock speed difference compensates for the core count discrepancy.

Does anyone have this configuration or a similar one? Do 2687w V2 processors run extremely hot?

Thanks for the input!

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Instead of getting the expensive 2687W v2, I highly recommend the 2667v2 instead if you are looking for per-thread performance. They are basically the same in terms of core count and clock speed, but go for a lower price. I put them in 2 dual-socket systems so far.
These CPUs can run hot, but as long as you get a decent air cooler on them you are good in terms of CPU thermals.
No Idea about power limit from the motherboard though. I used an ASRock EP2C602 instead.

rrubberr

Light Transport Enthusiast
Instead of getting the expensive 2687W v2, I highly recommend the 2667v2 instead if you are looking for per-thread performance. They are basically the same in terms of core count and clock speed, but go for a lower price. I put them in 2 dual-socket systems so far.
These CPUs can run hot, but as long as you get a decent air cooler on them you are good in terms of CPU thermals.
No Idea about power limit from the motherboard though. I used an ASRock EP2C602 instead.
Thank you, that was a great idea. I wasn't aware of a similar CPU to the 2687w but those look like they fit the bill, and even stay within the board's power limit!

Lev

Sep 18, 2015
Does anyone have this configuration or a similar one?
I have a X9DRi-LN4F+ rev1.2a with the latest v3.3 BIOS and it won't post when I try a v2 CPU. Before making any purchases, have you tried a v2 CPU in your board to confirm it works?

Last edited: