LSI SFF-8639 pci-e to u.2 Interface Adapter

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nezach

Oct 14, 2012
If I had to guess I would say it is some kind of development/engineering board and not a mass produced production board.

DavidB

Aug 31, 2018
The board serial on the back confirms that this is a generic development PCB (E204460) and I have several of those here from sample runs as well. Given the 3D printed look of the cooling shroud and the debug port I'm nearly certain you will not have a good time running this.

If all you're looking for is a U.2 adapter to PCI-E I'm running a couple of these: U.2 SFF-8639 Adapter PCIe 2.5' SSD PCI-E X4 intel PCIe3.0 PCI-E3.0 GEN3 M-KEY 8011448416546 | eBay with Intel 750 drives without any problems

cdru

Oct 27, 2018

DavidB

Aug 31, 2018
you need to provide SATA power to this board yes. In my case it's not worth the premium to avoid the power cable and go for the Startech board but YMMV

cdru

Oct 27, 2018
you need to provide SATA power to this board yes. In my case it's not worth the premium to avoid the power cable and go for the Startech board but YMMV
Interesting. It'd seem that it'd be cheaper (design-wise) to steal it from the PCIe bus and not have to have the expense of an additional connector. But perhaps in some cases the separate connector is preferred if bus power is already being taxed.

DavidB

Aug 31, 2018
Interesting. It'd seem that it'd be cheaper (design-wise) to steal it from the PCIe bus and not have to have the expense of an additional connector. But perhaps in some cases the separate connector is preferred if bus power is already being taxed.
to pass PCI-e checks you will need a power management circuit to support PCIe power, so this completely bypasses that and from what I can see all it does is pass the data channels to the PCIe slot.