(Update 04-25) DFI DT122 (AMD RX-427BB) Industrial ITX T730-a-like; $99 shipped w/ 8GB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I have a bunch 8GB ECC sodimm ram ( it was cheaper than non ECC ), DFI box does not boot with ECC ram.
I thought that the only person has that issue.
installed ecc ddr3 sodimm (I swear, it works on other machine),and just dead silent with full speed fans.

I am on the flip side, I bought cheap 8G non ecc sodimm, $24 for 10 pieces.
the AMD spec said "support ecc ddr3", it looks like they disable it on the BIOS. I remember on my old AM3 (ouch buldozer) asus mobo, the option was there, and just enable it to support ecc.

anyone can mod the bios to support eec? this would be great

jackfrost

Apr 18, 2019
If I can find a 90 degree angle solution for sata power cables (either left or right, not up or down) there's room for up to six 2.5" drives above the PSU if you rotate them 90 degrees so the connectors face the PCIe riser. Four would fit comfortably, six is pushing it a bit but should be do-able.
You might be able to do that with up or down angled sata power cables like: sata power.jpg

If you mount the drives bottom to bottom or top to top so that each power connector runs over the data connection of the other drive, then use the silverstone angled data cables to run out the side.

hdd stack.jpg

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
So how can I load Windows 7 on this box. I get to the Install GUI and I have no mouse or keyboard. It could be locked up but I suspect not. No problem with Linux.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
So how can I load Windows 7 on this box. I get to the Install GUI and I have no mouse or keyboard. It could be locked up but I suspect not. No problem with Linux.
I had to hook up my USB keyboard and mouse to the internal USB headers to get Win7 installed on mine.

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
I have a bunch 8GB ECC sodimm ram ( it was cheaper than non ECC ), DFI box does not boot with ECC ram.
That's a shame but not really surprising, they didn't support features on these machines if they didn't have to.

What is the command to dump the original BIOS ?
I haven't flashed in a couple of months but the docs I'm finding say something like "afudos /O oldrom.rom" should work. Maybe run "afudos /?" once you're booted?

You might be able to do that with up or down angled sata power cables like: View attachment 11097

If you mount the drives bottom to bottom or top to top so that each power connector runs over the data connection of the other drive, then use the silverstone angled data cables to run out the side.

View attachment 11098
Ah, I remember doing something like that! For the moment I think I'm just going to stagger my drives and use flat-plug cables like those, thanks :)
I tried that to and no joy. :(
Fohdeesha had all kinds of problems getting USB handoff from the BIOS CSM to xHCI under Win7 working; I think he ended up just going with Win10 in the end due to all of the issues he had getting USB input and video output working.

Sorry I can't help more, as you say it works flawlessly under Linux. Maybe, worst case scenario here, you could run Win7 in a VM on Proxmox if you don't want to waste time figuring out the hardware drivers?

Reactions: rj1

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
That's a shame but not really surprising, they didn't support features on these machines if they didn't have to.

I haven't flashed in a couple of months but the docs I'm finding say something like "afudos /O oldrom.rom" should work. Maybe run "afudos /?" once you're booted?

Ah, I remember doing something like that! For the moment I think I'm just going to stagger my drives and use flat-plug cables like those, thanks :)

Fohdeesha had all kinds of problems getting USB handoff from the BIOS CSM to xHCI under Win7 working; I think he ended up just going with Win10 in the end due to all of the issues he had getting USB input and video output working.

Sorry I can't help more, as you say it works flawlessly under Linux. Maybe, worst case scenario here, you could run Win7 in a VM on Proxmox if you don't want to waste time figuring out the hardware drivers?
I'd just stick with Linux if I could figure out how to make RDC work. Funny how remoting into a Windows box is stoopid easy via Remmina, remoting into another Linux box not so much.

EDIT - I sorted it out. Had to install the VNC plugin for Remmina. Now I have some display issues to work out but at least now I have something to work with.

PS - This is one noisy box. Most definitely going to be replacing the chassis fan.

Last edited:

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
Yeah, they aren't exactly quiet in their stock thermal configuration. I listed model numbers for Sunon Maglev fans in the first post, those should help you out. If you want to replace the CPU fan as well there's a 50x50x10mm Maglev that works well.

Sunon keeps refreshing the product so there are tons of vendors with the old models on eBay for ~$5/ea, or you could pay the Digikey tax and get the new models that use like half the power. Not really an issue on a <1W fan though.

Reactions: Fritz

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Seller just accepted $100 BO for 2 x 16gb SODIMM
Crucial 32GB SODIMM DDR3L 1600Mhz Memory (2x 16GB)
CT204864BF160B

I think and hope the 16gb ram stick would worked in the DFI box.

jackfrost

Apr 18, 2019
Seller just accepted $100 BO for 2 x 16gb SODIMM
Crucial 32GB SODIMM DDR3L 1600Mhz Memory (2x 16GB)
CT204864BF160B

I think and hope the 16gb ram stick would worked in the DFI box.
It should, I'm using 2x 16gb Micron sticks:

Code:
Handle 0x003F, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x003D
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Total Width: 64 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 16384 MB
        Form Factor: SODIMM
        Set: None
        Locator: DIMM 0
        Bank Locator: CHANNEL A
        Type: DDR3
        Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
        Speed: 1600 MHz
        Manufacturer: Micron
        Serial Number: 11A02135
        Asset Tag: A1_AssetTagNum0
        Part Number: 16KTF2G64HZ-1G6A1 
        Configured Clock Speed: 1600 MHz
        Minimum Voltage: 1.35 V
        Maximum Voltage: 1.5 V
        Configured Voltage: 1.5 V

Reactions: Marsh

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Yeah, they aren't exactly quiet in their stock thermal configuration. I listed model numbers for Sunon Maglev fans in the first post, those should help you out. If you want to replace the CPU fan as well there's a 50x50x10mm Maglev that works well.

Sunon keeps refreshing the product so there are tons of vendors with the old models on eBay for ~$5/ea, or you could pay the Digikey tax and get the new models that use like half the power. Not really an issue on a <1W fan though.
just share my find-out:
if you need to replace cpu fan, get minimally 80mm not 50mm. the poor 50mm fan will kick on full speed during due on embedded processor generates more heat than rival embedded intel. Honestly replacing 50mm to another 50mm fan for cpu is kind of not good due to not reducing fan noise.

I wished it had 4 pin PWM that would be nice...

aluo

May 29, 2018
It should, I'm using 2x 16gb Micron sticks:

Code:
Handle 0x003F, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x003D
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Total Width: 64 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 16384 MB
        Form Factor: SODIMM
        Set: None
        Locator: DIMM 0
        Bank Locator: CHANNEL A
        Type: DDR3
        Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
        Speed: 1600 MHz
        Manufacturer: Micron
        Serial Number: 11A02135
        Asset Tag: A1_AssetTagNum0
        Part Number: 16KTF2G64HZ-1G6A1
        Configured Clock Speed: 1600 MHz
        Minimum Voltage: 1.35 V
        Maximum Voltage: 1.5 V
        Configured Voltage: 1.5 V
Interesting.. I thought the DFIs supported up to 16GB. So to confirm again.. 32GB works?

rj1

Apr 27, 2019
Okay, I just did that. Is there anything to do in DOS to make sure it is done writing before removing the USB drive? I've tried afudos /O oldrom.rom 3 times and got 3 different md5's from the file it creates.

First impression - sounds like a quiet vacuum cleaner.

Last edited:

arglebargle

Jul 15, 2018
Okay, I just did that. Is there anything to do in DOS to make sure it is done writing before removing the USB drive? I've tried afudos /O oldrom.rom 3 times and got 3 different md5's from the file it creates.

First impression - sounds like a quiet vacuum cleaner.
I always shut down before pulling a BIOS flash USB TBH.

And, Yeah, they're not exactly quiet by default, heh. Fan replacement helps, and if the Sunon V1 or VX are too loud and your workload isn't too heavy you could probably get away with a V2 fan.

I'm still struggling to get a CX3 to boot in either of my DFIs but my plan was to run those with V2 exhaust and CPU fans and see if that's sufficient, I suspect it will be.

rj1

Apr 27, 2019
I always shut down before pulling a BIOS flash USB TBH.

And, Yeah, they're not exactly quiet by default, heh. Fan replacement helps, and if the Sunon V1 or VX are too loud and your workload isn't too heavy you could probably get away with a V2 fan.

I'm still struggling to get a CX3 to boot in either of my DFIs but my plan was to run those with V2 exhaust and CPU fans and see if that's sufficient, I suspect it will be.
I didn't know how to shut down. I googled and saw fpadm poweroff, but there is no fdapm on my version of Freedos. I guess I can try to find that and copy it onto it.

I have one of the fans you mentioned in the first post coming Monday. My daughter got home and asked what was so loud as she walked into the room. These definitely couldn't go in an office with the default fans. Mine is going in the basement and won't be a problem, but I'm still swapping out the fan.

I installed Windows Server 2019 and amazed at how well it runs on it. Great box for the price.