Brocade 1020 CNA 10GbE PCIe Cards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
even the much newer ConnectX 3's are down to around 30 these days
Even lower, I've been buying my CX3 VPI cards for $22 shipped. There are two vendors in the midwest who are selling the Sun OEM boards on eBay, one of them will take B/O offers under his listed $25/ea price. I imagine you could get them for $20/ea in batches.

Edit: Here's the seller, I've been buying them in batches of 2 @ $22/ea. You can probably negotiate down a couple more dollars if you're buying larger quantities. These cross flash to standard MCX354a firmware no sweat.

SUN 7046442 DUAL 40GB/SEC QDR INFINIBAND CARD | eBay

Last edited:
Reactions: Milos and fohdeesha

Milos

Feb 22, 2018
Black hole with internet
Thanks for the link , good price I have been watching these cards , but cables I found for them they're all expensive or I don't know how to find a matching cable for a direct link between the cards. I am sorry this is my first buying cards of this type. And since mu friend will bring them to Europe for me I must make sure I got all that I need. Prices here are much more then in US.
This is all very new to me, I have a Dell r710 and I probably would buy R520 unless I find r720 for good price but in Europe, so these cards will be used on them and mu win10 PCs. Servers are used for ESXI and will use them for data storage too.
Sorry for my low knowledge on this topic, but these cards would work without problems in the above specified computers?

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
Thanks for the link , good price I have been watching these cards , but cables I found for them they're all expensive or I don't know how to find a matching cable for a direct link between the cards. I am sorry this is my first buying cards of this type. And since mu friend will bring them to Europe for me I must make sure I got all that I need. Prices here are much more then in US.
This is all very new to me, I have a Dell r710 and I probably would buy R520 unless I find r720 for good price but in Europe, so these cards will be used on them and mu win10 PCs. Servers are used for ESXI and will use them for data storage too.
Sorry for my low knowledge on this topic, but these cards would work without problems in the above specified computers?
Yeah, I don't see any reason why the NICs wouldn't work in your machines, they're standard PCIe. Just make sure you've got an 8x slot for them, I remember people mentioning that they get a little cranky at lower link speeds (they still work but speeds get weird.)

If you're just direct connecting two machines you can use a cheap NetApp DAC. These are intended for external NetApp SAS enclosures but they handle 40GbE perfectly: netapp qsfp sas | eBay. They come in a variety of lengths so pick whatever length you think you need, they're dirt cheap too. I think all of mine were <$10/ea.

If you need or want to connect them to a 10Gb SFP+ switch you'll need an adapter for the port on the NIC but after that you can use standard 10Gb SFP+ optics or a DAC: Mellanox 655902-001 655874-B21 HP QSFP/SFP ADAPTER 656541864054 | eBay. Look at different sellers for these, sometimes you'll find them for $7/ea shipped, other times you can Best Offer a better price than listed.

If you're linking Mellanox to Mellanox and both ends support FDR14 you can use an FDR cable and link at 56Gb, but they're expensive and for home lab level stuff there's rarely any benefit to the extra bandwidth: Mellanox FDR 56Gb/s Passive Copper Cables - cable QSFP+ 1 m (MC220713-001 #88985 | eBay

I don't have anything other than Mellanox and Brocade 40Gb gear so I can't speak to issues with other brands, but I can tell you that both Mellanox and Brocade are extremely forgiving about optic and DAC brands so I haven't had any issues at all.

Milos

Feb 22, 2018
Black hole with internet

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
So... apparently you can now buy these for an impressive $4:

And a massive $3.5 for shipping (in the US) ;)

I am amazed they even bothered to list them, seems hardly worth it.
Can you even use them in any recent OS'?

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
So... apparently you can now buy these for an impressive $4:

And a massive $3.5 for shipping (in the US) ;)

I am amazed they even bothered to list them, seems hardly worth it.
Can you even use them in any recent OS'?

I had a set of these a few years ago. I had nothing but trouble in Linux (Debian/Ubuntu/Mint) Most of the time they didn't work, and when they did work the speeds were very low.

It made me swear off using fiber for a long time, which was a mistake. I should have realized that just like with copper ethernet, the key is to just buy Intel NIC's and everything just works well and at full speed.

x520 adapters have become cheap enough used now, that there really is no reason not to.