Fujitsu TX300 S7 SAS Enclosure Wiring Question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LeeU

Apr 13, 2019
Hi, I have just acquired a 8 bay SAS enclosure from a Fujitsu TX300 S7, 8 SAS disks in 2x 5.25" bays, the front is as this one:
Fujitsu HDD Expansion Box, 2.5" SAS - SATA C26361-K835-B276
Thing is, the power is supplied by 2x 4 pin connectors that are a box configuration and all the wires going to the plug are grey.
Does anyone know where I can find out which wire is which so I can either add molex connectors or where I can get adapters or if the molex to CPU adapters would work?
I can supply a picture of the rear of the enclosure should anyone want to see it.
Thanks in advance.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
those 2x 4pin connectors are definitly the same as general 4pin molex, electricly seen.

the power cable you need is
Y3952-V601

did you look at the user and maintanance manual of 962 pages?

http://manuals.ts.fujitsu.com/file/...FjAMegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2O5RSit7XvX7xomZ4R66ED

and

http://manuals.ts.fujitsu.com/file/...FjALegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1l20s7Z3Fj-VEdhuhjiTv0

PRIMERGY Illustrated Spares Catalog

Y3952-V601 von Fujitsu - Server, PC, Notebooks mit Garantie vom Profi - Fujitsu Y3952-V601

eBay
text says it will fit for (in german: passend für)
Passend für: PRIMERGY TX300 S7, PRIMERGY RX350 S7, PRIMERGY TX300 S8, PRIMERGY RX350 S8, PRIMERGY SX350 S8

Last edited:

LeeU

Apr 13, 2019
those 2x 4pin connectors are definitly the same as general 4pin molex, electricly seen.

the power cable you need is
Y3952-V601

did you look at the user and maintanance manual of 962 pages?

http://manuals.ts.fujitsu.com/file/...FjAMegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2O5RSit7XvX7xomZ4R66ED

and

http://manuals.ts.fujitsu.com/file/...FjALegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1l20s7Z3Fj-VEdhuhjiTv0

PRIMERGY Illustrated Spares Catalog

Y3952-V601 von Fujitsu - Server, PC, Notebooks mit Garantie vom Profi - Fujitsu Y3952-V601

eBay
text says it will fit for (in german: passend für)
Passend für: PRIMERGY TX300 S7, PRIMERGY RX350 S7, PRIMERGY TX300 S8, PRIMERGY RX350 S8, PRIMERGY SX350 S8
Thanks for that, I didn't make myself very clear, I want to put the drive cage into a non-Fujitsu chassis, a home build if you wish.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
did you look at the backside of the backplane? isn't there any very very tiny text around the pins? can you dismantale the baackplane and have a look at the backside?

partn number of the backplane is

A3C40125908

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
You only need to use the white "X6" 4-pin connector. The black one is used to optionally daisy-chain power other devices.

The PSU only produces 12V and the power backplane looks very... plain. So my educated guess is that out of 4 pins - 2 would be the ground and 2 would be 12V. That would explain the wire colors as well. It should be trivial to track the voltages from the SAS connector pins for example.

LeeU

Apr 13, 2019
did you look at the backside of the backplane? isn't there any very very tiny text around the pins? can you dismantale the baackplane and have a look at the backside?

partn number of the backplane is

A3C40125908
I've had both parts of the backplane under a magnifying glass, there isn't any small writing around the x6 connector, on either side.

LeeU

Apr 13, 2019
You only need to use the white "X6" 4-pin connector. The black one is used to optionally daisy-chain power other devices.

The PSU only produces 12V and the power backplane looks very... plain. So my educated guess is that out of 4 pins - 2 would be the ground and 2 would be 12V. That would explain the wire colors as well. It should be trivial to track the voltages from the SAS connector pins for example.
Looking through the magnifier, I can't see any of the tracks going to the SAS pins for power. Thanks for the tip though.

I think I'll try a molex to 4pin CPU connector and see how it goes, I've not lost anything

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
for safety, you first can try molex 4 pin eletric layout. if no succes, then maybe 4 pin eps electric layout. 4 pin eps has 2x 12volt lines. molex has 5v and 12v lines, so when using molex you couldn't toast your backplane

LeeU

Apr 13, 2019
Sorry for the delayed reply, work has been hectic and a bout of food poisoning doesn't make for much time playing with my own kit at home.
I bought 2x of StarTech LP4 to P4 cables from Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00066IO2O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I connected one to one of the banks of 4 disks and plugged it onto a spare Molex, all the lights flash as they should, when I get more time I'll connect it up to a SAS card and see what it does.
Thanks for all the help, I've just got myself a cheap hotswap SAS enclosure :D

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
Sorry for the delayed reply, work has been hectic and a bout of food poisoning doesn't make for much time playing with my own kit at home.
I bought 2x of StarTech LP4 to P4 cables from Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00066IO2O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I connected one to one of the banks of 4 disks and plugged it onto a spare Molex, all the lights flash as they should, when I get more time I'll connect it up to a SAS card and see what it does.
Thanks for all the help, I've just got myself a cheap hotswap SAS enclosure :D
fingers crossed for you.

hold us updated

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
for safety, you first can try molex 4 pin eletric layout. if no succes, then maybe 4 pin eps electric layout. 4 pin eps has 2x 12volt lines. molex has 5v and 12v lines, so when using molex you couldn't toast your backplane
This advice is so wrong it made me cringe. You do not check proprietary pinouts by just plugging in random "whatever fits" connectors!
There is a chance that you would supply voltage to pins which are shorted inside of the device (like 2 ground pins for example). Using lower voltage (5V instead of 12V) like you suggested won't prevent you from burning the device.