Inventec B400 motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chris Clein

Nov 1, 2018
2 nagging issues with my B400 board... I have a e3 1245 v2 cpu and the MEGARAC will not show the CPU temperature. Other system temps are available.

The other issue is I cannot seem to get the remote console to work. I'm running linux, either Firefox or Chrome will not load the remote console.

--- OK, it seems like I can see the CPU temp... it just doesn't track on first boot... takes a while for the CPU temp to populate.

Last edited:

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I have no experience of the IPMI on this board as mine doesn't have it, so will be of limited help here. That said, same result with IE?

SpamMeDeeper

Mar 19, 2019
Interested in these boards for tinkering. Which of these fit atx, and have best compatibility with V2 1155 chips? TIA

Chris Clein

Nov 1, 2018
I can confirm that the b400 fits a standar atx case. I have mine in a Cougar Solution 2. I'm running an E3-1245 V2 processor just fine.

SpamMeDeeper

Mar 19, 2019
Sounds fun. I think I will order a couple. Never modded a bios before, but I have a few Xeons and Unbuffered ECC sticks laying around. Want to build a server for backup. Can't beat $17 for the motherboard when an LSI 2008 card costs twice as much!

SpamMeDeeper

Mar 19, 2019
Okay so I got the boards. Like you said, fits ATX case like a champ. Powered one up with a E3-1220 (V1). So far everything works . Still figuring out the pinouts for buttons and the proper fan connectors. Takes a long time to boot (like 3 minutes before post). Seems it may be error on Fans. My BIOS has VT-d option enabled so no BIOS mod yet. Thanks to all in this thread for the help so far. If anyone else is interested in my testing and would like updates, let me know.

SpamMeDeeper

Mar 19, 2019
Is the UEFI she'll only available after modding BIOS? I'm trying to flash the LSI 2008 card to IT Mode, stuck atm.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
This is a UEFI boot Mainboard, there is no CSM on it. You will need to create and boot a UEFI shell and run sas2flash.efi from there, in order to flash the onboard LSI chip :)

Here's a link that will also get you an EFI shell that you can run up
Here's another link which will mostly be correct, except for the creating part

Hope that helps :)

SpamMeDeeper

Mar 19, 2019
Instructions worked like a charm. EFI boot and flashed both boards SAS to IT Mode. FreeNAS loaded, testing now.

kapone

May 23, 2015
I actually bought two of these "similar" motherboards, however I got this one:

Inventec Server Motherboard LGA 1150 DDR3 T2618401 8x onboard SAS SFP port | eBay

This has a LSI 2008 onboard (wasn't planning on using it), a single 10gb Intel 82599 NIC (certainly was planning to use it) and NO funky fan or PSU connectors (which is why I bought this one). There's no funky passwords, locks or anything, the IPMI works exactly it should (other than typical Java issues with any IPMI/BMC). It has EIGHT PWM fan connectors, but oddly the IPMI dashboard only shows the status of 4 fans. Maybe each channel is split into two fan connectors...:) Standard ATX layout as well.

If you disable the LSI 2008 in the BIOS, it kills the power to it completely, ~7W.

With a E3-1220v3/8GB RAM/single SSD/one CPU fan/10gb connected/IPMI NIC connected = ~27w idle power. That's pretty good.

Reactions: fasting

SpamMeDeeper

Mar 19, 2019
I actually bought two of these "similar" motherboards, however I got this one:

Inventec Server Motherboard LGA 1150 DDR3 T2618401 8x onboard SAS SFP port | eBay

This has a LSI 2008 onboard (wasn't planning on using it), a single 10gb Intel 82599 NIC (certainly was planning to use it) and NO funky fan or PSU connectors (which is why I bought this one). There's no funky passwords, locks or anything, the IPMI works exactly it should (other than typical Java issues with any IPMI/BMC). It has EIGHT PWM fan connectors, but oddly the IPMI dashboard only shows the status of 4 fans. Maybe each channel is split into two fan connectors...:) Standard ATX layout as well.

If you disable the LSI 2008 in the BIOS, it kills the power to it completely, ~7W.

With a E3-1220v3/8GB RAM/single SSD/one CPU fan/10gb connected/IPMI NIC connected = ~27w idle power. That's pretty good.
Have you tried this board with anything other than Xeon processors? Curious if an i3 Haswell (AESNI and ECC) would work? I have a few laying around. Curious if non-ECC will post. TIA

kapone

May 23, 2015
Have you tried this board with anything other than Xeon processors? Curious if an i3 Haswell (AESNI and ECC) would work? I have a few laying around. Curious if non-ECC will post. TIA
No idea, don't have anything else to try with this hardware.