Desktop PC won't boot with HP NC552SFP/Emulex OCE11102 dual 10gbe nic

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
The desktop is HP 8200 Elite tower with latest bios/firmware. NICS pulled from working servers.
I've tried a couple in HP's PCIe x16 slot as well as another physical x16, electric x4.
In both cases, I get a blank screen and all fans spin up to the max speed in 20-30seconds after power on.
Same pc boots and works fine with Intel 82599EB dual 10gbe nic.

Unfortunately, I have only 1 intel nic and 3 HP's - I need to fill 2 other same desktops with 10gig nics.

please help.

BoredSysadmin

Mar 2, 2019
thx. Any other ideas or more specifically how a specific Nic/CNA firmware could be messing up the POST process?

BoredSysadmin

Mar 2, 2019
Holy crap. It worked. Getting tape to cover such a tiny space was a bit of hassle, but it worked!

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
Holy crap. It worked. Getting tape to cover such a tiny space was a bit of hassle, but it worked!
Yeah, I've had two different NICs, a GPU and a couple of HBAs do this to me on different machines. It's a pain in the ass because there's no real diagnostic info other than (if you're lucky) a beep code or a two digit BIOS code. When I see "I can't boot to the BIOS with this PCIe card installed" this is the first thing I think of.

Edit: Point a fan at that card if you don't have good airflow, those things run stupidly hot. The sticker that says "No Touch HOT" isn't lying.

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
Oops, I managed to get that one confused with the NC523SFP (17W) somehow. My bad!

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
I used this firmware on a CN1100e
Good catch. The description says "CN1200E" but it includes the firmware which is compatible with CN1100E.

Here is how to flash the cards from your host linux OS without having to boot from the ISO:

Code:
wget https://downloads.hpe.com/pub/softlib2/software1/cd-generic/p674746231/v143912/UEFI_OneConnect-Flash-11.4.1231.6.iso
7z e UEFI_OneConnect-Flash-11.4.1231.6.iso UFI/oc11-11.4.1231.6.ufi
7z e -so UEFI_OneConnect-Flash-11.4.1231.6.iso initrd | gunzip | cpio -id bin/flash
rmmod lpfc
rmmod be2iscsi
rmmod be2net
bin/flash -c -x -f oc11-11.4.1231.6.ufi
reboot

Last edited:
Reactions: BoredSysadmin

BoredSysadmin

Mar 2, 2019
update: connected 10g Twinax cables from Emulex cards to my new brocade icx6610, VLAN 2 with routing created
Issue: 1 of 3 hosts is able to ping the new VLAN gateway, but not 2 and 3
Solution: Install the latest HPE Firmware flash for Emulex HBA/CNA here:
Drivers & Software - HPE Support Center.
the howto is really simple in the readme.txt included.
After firmware upgrade (worked fine on ESX6.7 u2) - all networking is working fine. Moved vMotion and vSAN to 10gig and vDS - no issues!

liberty

Nov 4, 2019
Taping pins 5 and 6 brought a HP NC552SFP to life in an old Shuttle SH87R6. My first 10G connection!

KingGGs

Nov 24, 2020
.Hello @BoredSysadmin if you don't mind could you please tell me the step-by-step on how you got your HP NIC working? I have the same one as you have and It's being used in windows 10 but it doesn't show up in network adapter settings. And so I wanted to flash firmware to check if that's the issue or not. But would much rather follow a previous user's setup.

BoredSysadmin

Mar 2, 2019
Jeez, 4 years ago. I barely remember any details now. I can tell you that the link I shared is meant to flash the firmware for nic under the VMWARE hosts, not windows. There is likely a different package for a windows install. If I remember correctly, my issue wasn't that it wasn't recognized, but not functioning as expected. I'd still apply the latest HP firmware and try to find the correct driver.
I quickly searched for firmware and driver. You could try both, but I give zero guarantees that these would work for you or not:

See the install instructions tabs for step-by-step details on how to install these.

KingGGs

Nov 24, 2020
Jeez, 4 years ago. I barely remember any details now. I can tell you that the link I shared is meant to flash the firmware for nic under the VMWARE hosts, not windows. There is likely a different package for a windows install. If I remember correctly, my issue wasn't that it wasn't recognized, but not functioning as expected. I'd still apply the latest HP firmware and try to find the correct driver.
I quickly searched for firmware and driver. You could try both, but I give zero guarantees that these would work for you or not:

See the install instructions tabs for step-by-step details on how to install these.
thank you but that did not work