Best Buy WD 10TB w Flash Drive $169.99, now $159.99

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
I doubt you can SMART test them in the enclosure, unless there is WD software that allows you too.
There is a controller between the disks and your computer, so no direct access to the disks.

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
How often do sales come up?
  • Its hard to forecast - but presumably whenever WDC fails to appropriately manage their supply chain and runs out of red labels to slap on the HDDs.
  • Kidding o/c ... 2019 YTD = I believe there was a sale over NYE carrying us into the new year / 14 February @ $169.99 / 7 March @ $159.99.
Are these still a good value at $199?
  • I think only you can answer that considering: (a) they will certainly go on sale again, and (b) cost less than $159.99 (at some point)
  • So the question becomes:
    • How urgently do you need to procure?
      • And assuming you can afford to wait, is waiting worth $80.02 to you / would creative procurement with shipping and import duty exceed that savings?
Does the SMART Long test work in the enclosure?
  • Yes.
It would be nice to stress test the drives after purchasing, but I will be there only a few days and don't have a Windows device to dedicate to testing them. I'm looking for the best way to ensure they are good before flying back.
  • I'm sure there is someone on this forum who lives in the same vicinity as your conference and would be kind enough to put forth minimal effort to test them for you.
    • Purchase them far enough in advance such that they could be delivered (for free) to that fellow forum member with enough of a buffer for them to execute the necessary testing.
    • Meet said forum member to pick up prior to departure.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
It would be nice to stress test the drives after purchasing, but I will be there only a few days and don't have a Windows device to dedicate to testing them. I'm looking for the best way to ensure they are good before flying back.
If you have a linux laptop, run badblock to test the drive inside the USB enclosure .
You will need to cool the drive with enclosure with a small fan so drive does not overheat inside the case
Only takes 12-24 hours to verify the new disk. You run tests with more than 1 drive.

In case you missed another response.
Disk SMART long test runs fine inside the case

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
I run UnRAID's preclear on the drives while they are still in the USB enclosure. Hook them upto a USB 3.x port and let PreClear check the drives for you. Will take the better part of a day to do but hey if you want them to be perfect you gotta do what you gotta do.

Rain

May 13, 2013
While I definitely recommend testing these drives in their enclosures before you take them apart, I highly recommend using a box fan (or similar) to ensure the drives have some airflow. They are not hot drives by any means but, since the stock enclosure relies purely on convection without any airflow, they get toasty wrapped up in all that plastic!

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
If you have a linux laptop, run badblock to test the drive inside the USB enclosure .
You will need to cool the drive with enclosure with a small fan so drive does not overheat inside the case
Only takes 12-24 hours to verify the new disk. You run tests with more than 1 drive.

In case you missed another response.
Disk SMART long test runs fine inside the case
the last time I ran badblocks on these disks in a disk enclosure using full bandwidth (200+MB/sec at the beginning, slower at the inner part of disc), it took around 4~5 days to complete the full badblocks test. I don't think you can test these with badblocks in less than 24 hours.

Rain

May 13, 2013
the last time I ran badblocks on these disks in a disk enclosure using full bandwidth (200+MB/sec at the beginning, slower at the inner part of disc), it took around 4~5 days to complete the full badblocks test. I don't think you can test these with badblocks in less than 24 hours.
This is accurate. One read-only pass could likely be completed in a day, but the default destructive test (-w) will do four full write+verify passes.

I usually use:
Code:
badblocks -v -b 4096 -w -t 0xaa -t 0x55 -t 0x00
This does three write/verify passes (with patterns 0xaa, 0x55, and ending on 0x00 to zero everything out). Setting the block size to 4K speeds things up slightly as well.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
In life, you pays your money and you takes your chance.

If OP does not have 4-5 days to verify the disk Then, 24 hours is good enough in my book.
There is a chance that the disk may died after 30 days .

At home, I stress tested my disks 7 days.

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
Is the WD warranty per region?

For example if I haven't shucked them and I have an issue, could I RMA it in the EU?

That would be a lot safer. I could do a 24 hour test and if there are no issues, I have more time to run the full tests and if there are issues I can RMA it to WD.