Wow - Just WOW!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Playing with lots of new toys. Getting paid and stock option for a dream jobs.

I would do it for free.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I was a bit surprised by this as well. The Pcper bit I understand since it is hard to be a consumer site the size of STH so if Intel throws money at you, you take it.

Still a big change in the industry. We are likely to see more shake-out, especially as the economic cycle swings.

Reactions: cactus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I simply can't comprehend leaving your own business of 20+ years to work for the man.

But, beyond that, basically closing down and disowning your own business too... jeez, harsh.

Reactions: gigatexal

William

May 7, 2015
He prolly had to leave and shut it down if he wanted to work at Intel. It must have been an offer he could not refuse.
I would think mothballing the site is a short term thing, leaving options open incase Intel dumps him months later he can turn the site back on.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
He prolly had to leave and shut it down if he wanted to work at Intel. It must have been an offer he could not refuse.
I would think mothballing the site is a short term thing, leaving options open incase Intel dumps him months later he can turn the site back on.
Well, yeah, clearly that was the case, for me it doesn't mean it's less of a huge deal for a business owner to close 20+ year business down to jump at an opportunity at a big corp.

I can't imagine doing that, and can't imagine anyone I know that owns a biz for 5+ or 10+ years let alone 20 wanting to just drop it all and work for the man ;) even if they paid 2x what their biz was earning, and I doubt they're matching his business income from his sites.