New Rack question (am i crazy?)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
Im far from very experienced with racks, ive delt with about 5 or 6 x different racks in my life, (3x currently / ongoing), so i know many others have much more "rack" experience than I.

Im building a new setup for my home office, and i purchased this rack (and put it together today):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1JJL8G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

my question / problem is i dont really like this "U" shape of the posts, im used to (and have only every used/seen) the "T" shaped posts.

is there a clear upside to this U shape that im missing? (or a downside im not thinking of yet?) as im strongly considering returning this rack, and instead getting a T shape post rack.

(why even do this U shape? is it so the mfg can lower costs as they can now use this same post in either a 4-post OR a 2-post rack maybe?)
IMG_6450.jpg

The main reason i dont like this U shape, is bc i like rails where i can pull out the entire length of the server, and thus service it with out fully removing the server from its rails. and with this U shape, im forced to snap the rails into the further part of the U shape, and thus i loose about 2-3" of "pull out length", as the rail is offset a bit and not flush with the face of the post.
IMG_6453.jpg IMG_6449.jpg

( + im spending more than the rack on the longer rails ie: MCP-290-00057-0N vs using the shorter rails , where only about 30% of the server "pulls out" which i already have several of).

(below is a "T" post rack im more used to, ignore the ruler, as its the only pict i had)
normalCapture.JPG

is this below an advantage of the U shape maybe? (as its hard to adjust this rack to precisely the 26.5" depth that is needed to fit BOTH sm rails: MCP-290-00057-0N (26.5" to 36.4") AND the MCP-290-00058-0N (19.6" to 27").
advCapture.JPG
(not ideal way to fit both SM rail types, but it does work. nb- i cant do the reverse of this as the longer SM rail has a bulge on the other end so it cant snap in)

can anyone who is around racks offer some input, please.

thanks!

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
That is odd and would be very annoying to use for anything other than networking equipment or equipment that is short depth and only mounts from the front.
I suspect it is for rigidity of the completed rack and give them a 'unique' design but I would swap it out for something normal.

At least their cabinets are normal on the inside https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K1JJH3U

Reactions: james23

james23

Nov 18, 2014
thanks for that info Blinky. this is exactly what i suspected, and part of why i believe they dont have any sales photos showing actual servers racked (bc it would look a bit odd due to U shape).

when I was researching this rack prior to purchase, it was hard to tell from the pictures, but I just assumed one of the halfs of the U shaped post was offset a bit for whatever reason, and thus it would be just like a normal t-shaped post rack.

However I'm pretty sure at this point I will be returning it and getting a T shaped rack (FYI for others looking at this particular rack, supposedly their parts replacement policy is very good, but it was missing two bolts, and one of the holes on the post did not have threads in it like it should - so 2x issues/defects also i called support and the support rep didnt know anything about racks). It was shipped very well though and nothing was lost in shipment.

If anyone else has any further input, please reply thanks.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I don't know what you are talking about.
It's look like some IBM cabinets I used to have in my old place. My cabinet had dors but main rack was about same.
The proper rails should snap right in front and back of the rail.
I had 3 dell servers in it and they all slide out fully for servicing.

kapone

May 23, 2015
Any "quick" type rails (that snap in) that snap in from the FRONT will fit in a U shaped rack channel. Any rails that snap in from the BACK (like Supermicro...) will not. The rear part of the "U" is exactly where the front is, in terms of alignment, so the rails won't fit.

Ask me how I know... :)

p.s. My answer was a Dremel to the back of the U channel...but that's probably not an option in this case.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
I don't know what you are talking about.
It's look like some IBM cabinets I used to have in my old place. My cabinet had dors but main rack was about same.
The proper rails should snap right in front and back of the rail.
I had 3 dell servers in it and they all slide out fully for servicing.
Thanks for reply, so those IBM cabinets you had, all 4x posts were U shaped? (and both halfs of the U exactly same width?)

Maybe its just the SM rails i plan to use mostly, see pict below of why i cant mount. But my concern is other rackmount devices will have a similar issue to the SM rails in pict. (i seem to recall rack mounting a APC RM UPS and it came with these extension/supports and i think that too would have an issue on U shaped posts, i could be wrong).

upload_2019-3-14_18-32-24.png

2rackCapture.JPG

part of my concern too is that in searching google images, i only find maybe 2 or 3x , 4 post racks that are U shaped posts, all others are standard T shape.

As i said though i dont have a lot of rack experience, so i could be wrong on alot of this.
tks

edit:
Any "quick" type rails (that snap in) that snap in from the FRONT will fit in a U shaped rack channel. Any rails that snap in from the BACK (like Supermicro...) will not. The rear part of the "U" is exactly where the front is, in terms of alignment, so the rails won't fit.

Ask me how I know... :)

p.s. My answer was a Dremel to the back of the U channel...but that's probably not an option in this case.
So Kapone, since you have clearly delt with this issue (ha!) , if you had to do it over again would you have gone with a T shape as opped to U posts shape? also when you say rails that "snap in from the front"- do you mean like Dell Ready rails or hpe rails too? (or which type?, bc i get what you are saying about the SM rails not fitting, but technically they "snap" in both the front and back, as they have the same snap in mechanism in the front of the rail and the back of the rail)

Last edited:

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
@james23

Have you checked your local Craigslist? If you are near large metro areas, the good Dell/HP 42u server racks listed quite often. 24u not so frequent. Just need to make sure they are full depth (1070mm). I picked up a Dell/APC 24u complete with doors and one fixed shelf for $150 couple of years ago from company that was downsizing.

Other option: if any of the e-cycler has local facility check with them. When I spoke with one here they said lot of times they sell for scrap metal because the 42u don't move that fast.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Well the rack we used to have look very similar. I can not be sure 100% working of the pics, but look very a like.
And dell slides fit fine.
We also had the rack ups set and those shelves had to be screw in. But they also worked ok. Had enough lip to fit over the sides on back and front.
I never had supermicro slides so I can say anything about them.

kapone

May 23, 2015
So Kapone, since you have clearly delt with this issue (ha!) , if you had to do it over again would you have gone with a T shape as opped to U posts shape? also when you say rails that "snap in from the front"- do you mean like Dell Ready rails or hpe rails too? (or which type?, bc i get what you are saying about the SM rails not fitting, but technically they "snap" in both the front and back, as they have the same snap in mechanism in the front of the rail and the back of the rail)
When I said snap from the "front", I meant the rails are designed to mount to the front of the rack post, not the back. For e.g.

Notice how these rails (Dell) mount to the "front" of the rack post...(Look at the top left)

vs Supermicro rails that mount from the "back"...

The rails that are designed to mount from the front will work in either U shaped or T shaped racks, but the back mount type rails will not.

Edit: And to answer your question, I've had a 42U rack in my basement for the longest time, and it has the U shaped channels. It's old, it's scratched, but hey it does it's job. I could have gotten a new rack, but why bother? :) It's just a rack after all...Dremel it is.

And after dremeling some of the back channels, the Supermicro rails fit just fine.

IMG_0297.jpg

Edit2: The following is the top half of the rack. (The picture above is the bottom half). You can clearly see the U shaped channels, where my other servers/rails fit just fine, but the Supermicro rails were the only ones requiring a Dremel.

IMG_0298.jpg

Last edited:

james23

Nov 18, 2014
thanks all, very helpful info.

Kapone- your rack looks EXACTLY like mine (as in i think its the same generic make, but prob just sold under different names)-
is there anychance you can snap a pict of how much you had to dremmel off for the SM rails? (i dont want to dremmel mine just yet as i might be returning it, and i also know how dremmeling goes! it might look like you only need to dremmel a small amount, until you actually do it and it ends up being quite a bit more, and a majority of my equpiment will be SM on SM racks :( .

nthu9280- I have been scouring any nearby craigslist for a little over a month now, no 4 post racks yet. (i dont live in a area where this stuff is common, unfornatly). the e-cycle center is def a good idea, i will look into that! thanks

kapone

May 23, 2015
about 1.5U worth of mount points on the back posts of the U channel, for 2U and up Supermicro rails.

Dark

Mar 9, 2019
Looks like 2x two-post racks.

Most U shaped racks aren't equally sized on the ends of the 'U', which is done to increase strength/rigidity.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
Looks like 2x two-post racks.

Most U shaped racks aren't equally sized on the ends of the 'U', which is done to increase strength/rigidity.
Exactly! this is what i (thought) i had seen seen once before, and what i was expecting to get in when i ordered this rack i have currently.
(it was really hard to tell from the limited picts/docs i had to go off pre-purchase, i could tell it was U shaped posts, but not that they were equal width).

Ive been in touch with 2x "rack only" sales places and they are trying to find more what im looking for at a reasonable price (ie > 450$). will update with what happens. thanks

btw, many racks that ARE what im looking for price/style-wise - dont end up having any U #s on them (which i want), but one rep pointed me to this neat product- stick on U numbers! (i would need 4x though, so $60 :/ but may end up being what i have to buy)

48u Rack Label

btw, what it is that im looking for are:
- 4 post rack (that you assemble, not a rack pre-assembled/freight palette ship)
- T shape posts (or will settle for U shape as long as they are not equal size/length "U-posts")
- Adjustable depth
- U #s on the posts (or now could get the stickers , but would rather them on the posts)
- ~200-450$

(will be used for ~6x servers, mostly supermicro, and 2x SWs / 2x routers)

(originally, i thought this would be pretty easy to find, but its ending up being a bit difficult actually!)

Last edited:

Dark

Mar 9, 2019
- 4 post rack (that you assemble, not a rack pre-assembled/freight palette ship)
- T shape posts (or will settle for U shape as long as they are not equal size/length "U-posts")
- Adjustable depth
- U #s on the posts (or now could get the stickers , but would rather them on the posts)
- ~200-450$

(originally, i thought this would be pretty easy to find, but its ending up being a bit difficult actually!)
Have you checked out Rack Solutions? Server Racks | Rack Shelves | Rackmount Monitors

I ordered my rack from them and it's very well built. They aren't the cheapest but it should come in right around ~$470 for a 44U open frame that's built better than most other racks out there.

kapone

May 23, 2015
Exactly! this is what i (thought) i had seen seen once before, and what i was expecting to get in when i ordered this rack i have currently.
(it was really hard to tell from the limited picts/docs i had to go off pre-purchase, i could tell it was U shaped posts, but not that they were equal width).

Ive been in touch with 2x "rack only" sales places and they are trying to find more what im looking for at a reasonable price (ie > 450$). will update with what happens. thanks

btw, many racks that ARE what im looking for price/style-wise - dont end up having any U #s on them (which i want), but one rep pointed me to this neat product- stick on U numbers! (i would need 4x though, so $60 :/ but may end up being what i have to buy)

48u Rack Label

- Adjustable depth
- ~200-450$

https://www.amazon.com/V7-RM4POF42U...2822&s=gateway&sprefix=4+post,aps,118&sr=8-13

~$250 shipped.

The front is T shaped posts, the back is U shaped posts (which is perfectly fine), has U numbering, adjustable depth, 4 post (assembly required).

Dark

Mar 9, 2019

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014

48u Rack Label
But a Dymo label printer instead when I had that issue (XTL 300, older gen, can be had cheap every now and then) and printed my own. Can also print cable lables with matching cartridge.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
I really appreciate all the replies!
(FYI startTech , on Amazon and elsewhere, does have the rack I want, and a low price. But I'm a little hesitant to use them as several reviews on Amazon say they are too narrow and many servers won't even fit! )

Have you checked out Rack Solutions? Server Racks | Rack Shelves | Rackmount Monitors

I ordered my rack from them and it's very well built. They aren't the cheapest but it should come in right around ~$470 for a 44U open frame that's built better than most other racks out there.
Thanks, I actually have bought individual items from this company before, however I currently only see racks on their site above $900 - I'll try calling them though.

This is the exact rack I bought/have , I did see saw your reply were you link ed the wrong one, if you do re find it please post. Thanks

Last edited: