Netapp DS4243 Disk Array Shelf @ $90 shipped

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
The guy has sold over a hundred of them. Old listing here: NetApp DS4246 Disk Array Shelf W/ 24x SAS Trays 2x IOM6 SAS Expansion Array | eBay

These are noticeably quieter than all of the DAS units I've used before (StorageWorks MSA60/D2600, Rackable Systems SE3016).

The trick is to replace the controllers with a pair of HB-SBB2-E601-COMP. Advantages are 6gbps SAS and normal SFF-8088 connections. It's a direct fit replacement for the NetApp controllers that use QSFP for the SAS connections (why?)

This may not be the case for more recent shipments; however, when I bought mine from them a couple weeks ago, shipping was $26 and it was quite literally pulled from the rack with cables still attached and tossed in a box. Zero padding whatsoever from this seller. Had to unbend a couple bits, but it was okay.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
these look like just JBODs, can they be used without a netapp filer? AFAIK, they also require netapp specific disks?

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
these look like just JBODs, can they be used without a netapp filer? AFAIK, they also require netapp specific disks?
may be beneficial to read my post right before yours. works like a normal DAS with replacement controllers from DELL

Reactions: Dark

james23

Nov 18, 2014
does anyone have power usage info on just the shelf? (ie wo any disks) trying to compare vs a normal SM 16 or 24 bay chasis or jbod chasis with SQ psus (as a disk shelf). someone saying they are quiet does bode well maybe for power usage of the shelf itself. thanks

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
may be beneficial to read my post right before yours. works like a normal DAS with replacement controllers from DELL

I think we commented the same time, when I started writing my comment there was only the main post :)

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
At least the ds2446 I have with netapp controllers works just fine as a jbod shelf. I'd balance the cost of different controllers vs the cost of the sff-8088/qsfp cables you need for the netapp stuff. qsfp-qsfp cables aren't too bad,.

DanielWood

Sep 14, 2018
At least the ds2446 I have with netapp controllers works just fine as a jbod shelf. I'd balance the cost of different controllers vs the cost of the sff-8088/qsfp cables you need for the netapp stuff. qsfp-qsfp cables aren't too bad,.
The needed parts are reasonably priced these days:
- $33 - 10Gtek SFF-8644 to QSFP Cable 1Meter
- $50 - LSI 9206-16E (LP, Full heights go for $80)
- NETAPP QSFP Cables are about $10 each, less if you do BO with quantity

This route assumes you want to keep the IOM3/IOM6 and daisy chain multiple enclosures.

Otherwise, you can go a bit cheaper on the cables with SFF-8088 and the Dell HB-SBB2-E601-COMP controllers.

Reactions: nikalai

hifijames

Dec 26, 2017

Do you configure multipath?

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Do you configure multipath?
I have not tried multipath. There was another person recently trying to do multipath with a 2446, but it was not clear if his HBA and/or windows 10 pro supported. I only have one sff-8088/qsfp cable so can't try.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Windows 10 does not have support SAS multipath only windows server does. I've been wanting to setup sas multipath on my desktop running windows 10 and I cannot find any way to make it work.

Reactions: hifijames

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
Are the hdd bays 3g or 6g and sas or sata?

I know the IOM3's are 3G SAS, just not sure what the drive connectivity is, meaning can I swap in IOM6 and have a full 6G path from HDD to HBA?

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018

I know the IOM3's are 3G SAS, just not sure what the drive connectivity is, meaning can I swap in IOM6 and have a full 6G path from HDD to HBA?
My understanding is thus:
1: pre-2008 or so they are 3g backplanes, post they are 6g officially.
2: From what I can tell the backplanes themselves are pretty dumb, all the SAS brains are in the IOM units.
See this:
https://www.snia.org/sites/default/...ons/monday/MarkHall_SBB_2_0_Spec_Overview.pdf
pages 15/16, each 54 pin connector is 6 drives. Same connector for Fiberchannel and SAS.
3: They are SAS, not SATA.

ebacho

Feb 11, 2018
does anyone have power usage info on just the shelf? (ie wo any disks) trying to compare vs a normal SM 16 or 24 bay chasis or jbod chasis with SQ psus (as a disk shelf). someone saying they are quiet does bode well maybe for power usage of the shelf itself. thanks
I get something like 110-120W with no disks and two power supplies plugged in for mine.

hifijames

Dec 26, 2017

You can swap in IOM6 and the shelf will become DS4246 under Netapp Ontap. I am not sure about PC environment though.

NaCl

Dec 15, 2018
Anyone tried white label WD drives in the 424(3|6) units? I have a bunch of the WD100EMAZ (10TB RED variants) that have the 3.3V pin 'issue'. Would be swell if the backplanes in these NetApp shelves didn't supply that.

Thanks!

NaCl

Dec 15, 2018
Still kicking myself for missing out on the whole "shucking 10TB White labels/Red's.

I don't know how I missed all those sales around black friday. Heck, I missed the sale Best Buy had like 2 weeks ago :(
There are a number of listings on eBay for new WD100EMAZ drives. These are what I pulled out of my BB acquisitions. The general range is $195-$200, which matches the BB Easystore deal of last week/week before. Still better than $329+ for the red label variant, but slightly less swell if you care about the extra bits (enclosure/supply/usb-sata iface board and the 32GB flash stick). Personally, that stuff isn't worth it. Shucking 4-5 drives here and there isn't so bad. Shucking 30+ drives after hooking them all up and waiting through some form of surface scan/test sucks.

It'll only be compounded if the backplanes in these NetApp shelves supply that pin.

Anyway, should get mine Wednesday. So I'll see then regardless.