Dual monitor / dual pc - displayport kvm - feedback

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
ok so I did search here and didn't really find anything.
I posted on another forum and really nothing positive came back... meaning no one really is using any..

so from a google - I found that Startech makes one (and we use a lot of startech stuff at work)...
so it wasn't cheap... $250 from amazon shipped and tax.

so.... wanted to give feedback for others... so the search feature will now have this input!

so I am sitting here working and have 2 keyboard, 2 mice, 32" (1440p) and 24" (1080p) monitor. I keep grabbing wrong mouse and typing on wrong keyboard...

I need a dual monitor kvm that wont break the bank as I'm seeing them for $250 and up... 4 port @ $1000!!!!!!

so anyone using one that wont hit the bank.. tax return is coming so gonna pony up and maybe get a 2nd 32" monitor and definitely want a kvm..

thx all

ok I ponied up for it..
https://www.startech.com/Server-Man...-Switch-with-Audio-and-USB-20-Hub~SV231DPDDUA

and already slightly frustrated..

so it turns out that the keyboard and mouse ports are usb 1.1 as per this tech conversation...
[3/4/2019, 4:42:54 PM] Adrian: The port for the keyboard is a USB 1.1 port meant to send simple / typical inputs so it may be getting confused. Try one of the other USB ports for the keyboard.

so the issue is simple... first it was ID-10T issue... or another known is Pic-Nic issue...

I had both monitor DP plugged in right.
had both pc's connected correct DP
then you plug a usb from startech to each PC... - dummy moment... I had usb cable for PC1 plugged into PC2 and PC2 plugged into PC1.
Ok so got beeps, etc but no keyboard, mouse.
once the tech got me to realize that, swapping them... I then had mouse. had mouse and keyboard plugged into front of PC to be able to type/brows to chat.

so mouse went fine....
keyboard was spazzin.. thus the comment above about being confused...

I kinda saw on a google search before chatting that if keyboard isn't a standard 104 key - you may have to use one of the two - USB 2.0 ports.
This worked; however, that means I am now down a port.

so I plugged my wireless headset into the other port and it works but im out of usb ports and the keyboard port issueless as I tried plugging in a usb card reader (plus 1.1 would suck for that)….

so now I have to find my USB hub (kinds probably took it)… so I can see if that will work.

all in all - not a bad piece of equipment.

looks like its from the 90s

usb 1.1 and usb 2.0 - cmon its 2019 and for $250!!!!! aint cheap.

so now I have to keep it reachable so I can click the button to switch ports as I lost hotkey use due to this.

bonus gets cut Friday so ill be picking up a 2nd 32" Philips making my setup complete!!!!!
just got a RGB mouse pad to go with my
Logitech g510keyboard
Razer Ballistic mouse

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
TRENDnet - Received it and boom.. works like it should.
in addition to my kybd and mouse working, where they should, this also supports 4k. Albeit, I wont be going 4k, that still tells me it could potentially have better quality parts in it.
I am very well pleased with my purchase as it supports 4k, didn't waste my aux usb ports and was cheaper than the startech. Startech isn't bad for someone with a standard keyboard and mouse but costs a bit more and doesn't support 4k.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
TRENDnet - Received it and boom.. works like it should.
in addition to my kybd and mouse working, where they should, this also supports 4k. Albeit, I wont be going 4k, that still tells me it could potentially have better quality parts in it.
I am very well pleased with my purchase as it supports 4k, didn't waste my aux usb ports and was cheaper than the startech. Startech isn't bad for someone with a standard keyboard and mouse but costs a bit more and doesn't support 4k.
Which model, specifically? I do have 4k, and I have been waiting for this Connect Pro for over a year now.

https://connectpro.com/product/udp2-14ap-kit-4-port-usb-dual-displayport-kvm-switch/

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
Which model, specifically? I do have 4k, and I have been waiting for this Connect Pro for over a year now.

https://connectpro.com/product/udp2-14ap-kit-4-port-usb-dual-displayport-kvm-switch/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MMZ1W1Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so far pleased, aside from the 1990 look... but startech is the same..

and at least with this I can now hide it and use kbd hotkey. with startech, not using keyboard port, lost that..

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
Yes. And if they don’t specifically state it, I am 100% certain it only supports 30hz. I will never run a monitor at 30hz.
How can i tell? Tom Clancys Division is running at 75hz...

Just curious cuz i dont want too either!!!

kapone

May 23, 2015
Hit the menu options on your monitor (that's connected to this box) and look at the signal information??

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Just about any and all KVMs can run 1920x1080 @ 60hz. Very few can do 4x the bandwidth.

I will continue to wait for the ConnectPro.

Reactions: TeleFragger

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Another option is ATEN CS1942DP for about $300 with all cables included.
I have no personal experience with the switch but at least they clearly state the supported frequencies in the spec. They claim to support 4096 x 2160 and 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz, USB 3.1 Gen 1 and MST (daisy-chaining of more monitors).

They have a 2 Monitors - 4 PCs version of that switch for about $900 as well.

Last edited:

herby

Aug 18, 2013
I know it isn't really a KVM like your looking for; but there's always the option of using a USB switch to toggle keyboard and mouse, and then just taking advantage of the multiple inputs most modern monitors have.

I've seen several inexpensive USB 3 switches by the likes of StarTech and IOGEAR. For example this: Rosewill USB 3.0 Sharing Switch Box.