How do you use 1U rackmount case CSE-502L-200B to create Unraid storage array?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
I know that this post —> https://www.servethehome.com/supermicro-cse502l200b-mitx-matx-1u-atom-server-chassis-review/#comments is very old already. I have been using Unraid since 2013. I have always liked the idea of all in a box. I'm currently using Fractal Design Node 804. It fits in a m-atx motherboard, and gives me option to connect up to 10 3.5 drives, and 2 2.5 drives. That's a whopping 12 drives. But more recently, I'm loving the desktop form factor. Meaning, everything compact. Compact switch, compact firewall, compact Unraid server? I have the chassis above, and am building a firewall with it. I still have another such chassis, and I know I can use HBA controller with external connection to connect it to plenty of drives.

When I say desktop form factor, I'm saying something like this, posted by @Sunnu

I know with all 12 drives, it won't fit into such a shallow, and short wall mount chassis, but maybe a 12U will do. My question is, how to you put 12 drives into such 2u, shallow depth wall mount rack? What case options do we have? I wanted to recreate something like this, and put it on my bookshelf. It's so neat!

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
Umm, not very close :) since Unraid server in 1U form factor already, need about 2U short depth to fit 8 drives.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
I have never seen one either, if you wanted to get "creative" you could take a 3U 16-drive chassis with the backplane, hack off the back (or middle) of the chassis and connect the backplane to a 1U server above/below it.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
Yes, that will be too creative for me :D . I guess 8 drives is ok. But then again, there aren't any synology chassis lying on ebay :) . Am only interested in the case since there will be the serve in a 1U form factor.

Just to clarify, reason I'm ok with the 1U chassis above, and consider it a desktop since it is fairly short depth, and can work within or outisde a wall mount case. The wall mount case isn't really a necessity. I would like to have it on my bookshelf, and still look neat. If all can be stacked on top of a shelf, and look neat, such as 2 units of 1U short depth, a synology on top, that will be ideal.

kapone

May 23, 2015
@jang430 - You do realize that putting that many drives in a 1U/2U chassis requires a fair amount of airflow to keep the drives in a happy state?

Regardless of the chassis, those fans are gonna be loud...and if you wanna put them on a bookshelf (btw, it gets heavy with that many drives as well...), with really bad rear exhaust...you'll be cooking your drives.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
For reference, a xyratex 1235 shelf is ~50 lbs loaded. Could save some weight with 1 single supply, but that ups the noise level a bunch.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
@kapone , I imagine something like Synology, where 2 rear fans will be enough. Really like the Synology 6 bay or 8 bay look. But too expensive, and so less power.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
If you find a case you like that will hold enough drives, it is easy to make the case into a jbod enclosure. Has been discussed elsewhere a bunch.
for 8 drives you don't need a sas expander, just a -8e or -16e HBA (I think unraid wants a dumb IT mode one?), 2x sff-8088 cables, and a sff-8088/sff-8087 bulkhead, plus 2x sff-8087-sata forward breakout cables.
Jumper black to green on the power supply to make always on, hook up the drives and install hba and go, presuming you have a PCIe slot.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
For reference, a xyratex 1235 shelf is ~50 lbs loaded. Could save some weight with 1 single supply, but that ups the noise level a bunch.
It's also 24.5" deep :) and 2u, but what deal !

Another Idea would be to forget Unraid and go with GlusterFS/Odroid-HC2. You could easily fit 8x HC2 in 2u space

More links:
Seagate Business Storage 8-Bay Rackmount NAS Review | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews
*NEW* SuperMicro SSG-5017R-IHDP 1U SuperServer ***FULL MFR WARRANTY*** | eBay

Last edited:

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Possibly stupid idea, partially since I haven't tested/do not know about support for 5tb drives or if it is indeed a JBOD box, but the hp msa 50 1u 10x2.5" box is 23" deep....

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
@IamSpartacus , Yes, I remember your case :) It actually is very compact, and ideal shape. I also remember the price :D . I think about 200 USD. Sort of high for me for chassis. But maybe if really needed, it will tick most of my boxes apart from the cost effective box :D