F5 Acquires NGINX

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Hmmm - not a good thing. Yet again a "closed" platform buys out the leading open platform that is pressuring their margins and their ability to charge above-market prices.

F5 has always had great products. But they've been very slow to develop new products and revenue streams as their legacy gets pressured by the open software alternatives.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Crowd sourced news from the STH forum peeps!
We do not cover a ton of news so we are more set up for pre-briefs -> time to write -> coverage.

Deals are usually not pre-briefed. So it is either Cliff or I seeing it, then it gets written, then scheduled. If we do that, you guys usually beat our process.

It may seem strange since most of the industry just pushes news 24x7. I am trying to keep us mostly aligned to do hands-on reviews.

Reactions: gigatexal

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
We do not cover a ton of news so we are more set up for pre-briefs -> time to write -> coverage.

Deals are usually not pre-briefed. So it is either Cliff or I seeing it, then it gets written, then scheduled. If we do that, you guys usually beat our process.

It may seem strange since most of the industry just pushes news 24x7. I am trying to keep us mostly aligned to do hands-on reviews.
It wasn’t a critique just a pat on the back for us eager STHers. The super in-depth articles are very welcome.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
It wasn’t a critique just a pat on the back for us eager STHers. The super in-depth articles are very welcome.
I figured as much. We get some unhappy notes when our news lands a bit later. There are many tech sites with hordes of writers waiting to put a paragraph or two together at any news.

I like sharing what we do and why so people can get insights into the process as well.

Reactions: Ouraing and T_Minus

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Lol don’t worry about those guys. In fact screw ‘em. To think any of us would give you guys flak for being “late” to get content up for us to wax philosophical about should be at best flattery and at worst just stupidity on our part. STH is doing an amazing job. If there was no news but articles and these amazing forums it’d be great but you tack on the news pieces that aren’t clickbait garbage and it’s fantastic.

STH is on my rotation. I visit STH, anandtech, arstechnica, Twitter, hacker news, and thetechreport for their daily tech rollups.