Supermicro HTML5 IPMI - Change password?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Does anyone know if it's possible to change the IPMI password on a Supermicro board through the HTML5 client, or is this something I still require the Java app for?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Are you talking about using IPMI tool or just the web GUI?

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
The IPMI password can be changed through the web GUI. I'm not aware of a time when the java client was required to do that.

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Are you talking about using IPMI tool or just the web GUI?
Not sure what you mean. There’s the Java IPMIView and the web GUI. I’m trying to just get by with the web GUI but I can’t find a way to change the default password on a new board.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
From the webGUI:

Configuration->Users

- Click on ADMIN
- Click "Modify User" button
- Check "Change Password"
- Enter password and confirm in the next box
- Click "Modify" button to save changes

Let me know if something isn't making sense or lining up with what you see in your UI

Reactions: Patrick

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
From the webGUI:

Configuration->Users

- Click on ADMIN
- Click "Modify User" button
- Check "Change Password"
- Enter password and confirm in the next box
- Click "Modify" button to save changes

Let me know if something isn't making sense or lining up with what you see in your UI

Actually, while you're doing this, consider adding another admin-level user and then deleting "ADMIN".

I always delete or disable any predefined user accounts wherever possible. It may technically be a "security-through-obscurity" tactic, but I feel that leaving preinstalled high-level default accounts enabled is a bad idea, much the same as having an enabled "root" user on a *nix box with remote login to it allowed.

Reactions: Patrick and Evan

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I've got a setup script for my hardware that does the same thing via command line (ipmitool) if you're interested, easier than futzing around the web GUI, basically revolving around the following commands (which do allow simply renaming the ADMIN account):
Code:
# display all users
ipmitool user list 1

# change username of user $ID (case-sensitive, defaults to ADMIN on SM boards)
ipmitool user set name $ID ipmiadmin

# reset pwd of user $ID
ipmitool user set password $ID

Reactions: Patrick