Interesting ITX Socket G2 (laptop sandy) Dual Intel NIC, vPro: $55 shipped

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AshleyAshes

Jul 24, 2017
THANK YOU!

Thank you so much for uploading and sharing this new bios with us! I was pulling my hair out because I couldn't get one of my extra motherboards to stop freezing with a GTX 960 installed. It worked fine before, but I decided to tinker with the motherboard settings and then it just would not work no matter what I did (should have not messed with what was working). I had to put in an older AMD card and then it would work. With the new BIOS the GTX 960 works again! Thanks!
No probs. I figured no one else was going to dig up 1.16 since Advantech never posted it on their website so it was the only way to get it out there. Since I found this thread easily while researching my own board, I figured others could benefit themselves.

Personally, my build is going to be a living room gaming machine with a Silverstone Raven RVZ01B-E which while ITX, supports 13" GPUs via a riser and even an ATX PSU. The goal is to show a six year old laptop CPU and a yet-to-be-determined GPU to make competitor for a console with most of it made from used components.

And, I mean, really, the i7 2630qm in my retired laptop is no slouch, even if I replaced it with a 7500U powered one, so I think getting it going in an ITX board is a great way to keep it going.

I'm also going to try a mPCIE extender/riser with a mPCIE USB3 controller to add USB3 function to it.

Aug 19, 2015
THANK YOU!

Thank you so much for uploading and sharing this new bios with us! I was pulling my hair out because I couldn't get one of my extra motherboards to stop freezing with a GTX 960 installed. It worked fine before, but I decided to tinker with the motherboard settings and then it just would not work no matter what I did (should have not messed with what was working). I had to put in an older AMD card and then it would work. With the new BIOS the GTX 960 works again! Thanks!

I also bought a pack of these a while ago. I just had the chance to test them out and they are all working as well. I tested them using an i7-2760qm and 16GB of RAM. They were packed all in the actual, unopened Advantech mobo box and mine were sealed in anti-static bag. Seemed to be brand new, just untested.

Also, for anybody still looking for cases:
I have used a Silverstone GD-09, Silverstone GD-08, and Aerocool Xpredator X1.

Also I am pretty positive that the Silverstone DS380 will work as well. That case has 8mm standoffs and I believe these motherboards are only about 5-6mm thick. If not, you could always shave down the CFAST slot since it is much thicker than it needs to be anyways.
It also fits in the Lian Li PC-Q26 without modification.

TubaMT

Jul 26, 2014
No probs. I figured no one else was going to dig up 1.16 since Advantech never posted it on their website so it was the only way to get it out there. Since I found this thread easily while researching my own board, I figured others could benefit themselves.

Personally, my build is going to be a living room gaming machine with a Silverstone Raven RVZ01B-E which while ITX, supports 13" GPUs via a riser and even an ATX PSU. The goal is to show a six year old laptop CPU and a yet-to-be-determined GPU to make competitor for a console with most of it made from used components.

And, I mean, really, the i7 2630qm in my retired laptop is no slouch, even if I replaced it with a 7500U powered one, so I think getting it going in an ITX board is a great way to keep it going.

I'm also going to try a mPCIE extender/riser with a mPCIE USB3 controller to add USB3 function to it.
I actually have added a mPCIE to x1 PCIe cable to the underside mPCIE slot and it worked fine when I added a USB 3.0 add in PCIe card so it should work for you. I also was able to shave down my sata cable to connect to the CFAST slot as an extra sata connection. I think that one of the other sata ports gets disable though if you use the CFAST slow. I'm not too sure though.

I used this mPCIe to x1 PCIe adapter:
Amazon.com: Mini PCI-E to PCI-E Express 1X Extension Cord Adapter Card with USB Riser Card: Computers & Accessories

AshleyAshes

Jul 24, 2017
I actually have added a mPCIE to x1 PCIe cable to the underside mPCIE slot and it worked fine when I added a USB 3.0 add in PCIe card so it should work for you. I also was able to shave down my sata cable to connect to the CFAST slot as an extra sata connection. I think that one of the other sata ports gets disable though if you use the CFAST slow. I'm not too sure though.

I used this mPCIe to x1 PCIe adapter:
Amazon.com: Mini PCI-E to PCI-E Express 1X Extension Cord Adapter Card with USB Riser Card: Computers & Accessories
I saw this but was considering a mPCIE USB card but in the end I'm going to do neither. Since the RVZ01-E has space at a real premium after making room for an ATX PSU and 13" GPU, there's definitely no room for another PCIE card in there and even just making room to wire in power for an mPCIE adaptor seems not worth it. It woulda been a 'nice' update, but as is, I need to partially disassemble the CX600 PSU I'm using, to cut off one of the SATA power cables and the Molex power cable as I have no room to fit them inside. :p

I'm just going to use a boring USB2 to USB3 adapter cable to at least get SOME kind of USB on the front panel. :p

AshleyAshes

Jul 24, 2017
Has anyone else with this board seen an issue where the OS shuts down the PC, and it really does shut down, yet the PWR LED blinks as if the board is in stand by mode even though it's not? I even press power and it fully goes through the POST process, so I'm baffled why it'll shut down and sit there blinking at me as if it was in standby.

Edit: Oh, reading the manual, 'slow flash' indicates that it's OFF in ATX power mode. FAST flashing is Standby. Well that's a slightly annoying quirk.

AshleyAshes

Jul 24, 2017
Sharing more. :)

I found this 'G1/G2' Heatsink on eBay and ordered it since my i7 2630qm would throttle in some situations with the stock CoolerMaster heat sink that came with the board.

Peak temps were down to 69'C from 96'C (Really only hit that high running CPU benchmarks, but still) and it even took 10'C off my idle temps. But it has no name. Even what I got in the mail was just the heatsink, with no identifying packaging, wrapped in bubble wrap so I can't help you with a model name or anything to Google, just this eBay link where more can be bought.

PS: The seller totally accepted am 'Best Offer' of $9.99 USD. :)

Socket G G1 G2 Intel Core i3 i5 i7 Mobile CPU Cooler Fan Heat Sink

Aug 19, 2015
Sharing more. :)

I found this 'G1/G2' Heatsink on eBay and ordered it since my i7 2630qm would throttle in some situations with the stock CoolerMaster heat sink that came with the board.

Peak temps were down to 69'C from 96'C (Really only hit that high running CPU benchmarks, but still) and it even took 10'C off my idle temps. But it has no name. Even what I got in the mail was just the heatsink, with no identifying packaging, wrapped in bubble wrap so I can't help you with a model name or anything to Google, just this eBay link where more can be bought.

PS: The seller totally accepted am 'Best Offer' of $9.99 USD. :)

Socket G G1 G2 Intel Core i3 i5 i7 Mobile CPU Cooler Fan Heat Sink
Interesting you had good results with this cooler. I bought one of these quite some time back and while it was much quieter than the coolermaster model, I didn't notice an appreciable temperature decrease on my 2710QE.

AshleyAshes

Jul 24, 2017
Interesting you had good results with this cooler. I bought one of these quite some time back and while it was much quieter than the coolermaster model, I didn't notice an appreciable temperature decrease on my 2710QE.
...Oh I found a way to make it cooler AND quieter yet... :3

20933957_10214087237518129_1665327228635581681_o.jpg

camaroer87

Sep 10, 2017
Here's my contribution b/c this the thread has so much useful info in it:

I was playing with one of these boards a few months back, but couldn't get it to work properly with my i7 2720QM + NVidia 1060, so I gave up trying after a weekend or so. I just saw the new BIOS that was posted and decided to give it another whirl. IT WORKS BEAUTIFULLY! So many options for this board now. Thanks for the update @AshleyAshe!

AshleyAshes

Jul 24, 2017
So I'm back again having FINALLY found a home for this board and CPU. I found myself in need of much better routing and built it into a PFSense router. Here's my issue, I'm using an i7 2630QM and AES isn't working. I read it's an issue with microcode and some i7s, it can be patched in in the BIOS but I guess Advantech didn't do that. This was apparently a 'thing' on a lot of Sandy Bridge laptops? Now, I ALSO have an i5 2510E, which is one of the CPUs the board is even certified with. Can anyone confirm to me that there are SOME CPUS that AES totally works with without trying to mod the BIOS with new microcode?

Aug 19, 2015
Resurrecting the thread because this seems to be the only place on the internet with a discussion covering the AIMB-272...

Has anyone tested or know if this board supports PCIE bifurcation (with a supported CPU)? I currently have a HBA in the slot but would love to add a 1050ti in for transcode duties.

Aug 19, 2015
It would be too old.

Chris
Are you certain? Can you point me to any documentation that specifically states this? I ask because this old chip has plenty of CPU for my use case but if I could somehow manage newer hardware transcoding it would be perfect. Are you saying that the board would be too old because I remember reading a document stating that my processor can support bifurcation and I've seen it mentioned that even the older QM57 chipset allows this capability in some circumstances. I can't seem to find either at the moment so it's entirely possible I dreamt it up.

Looking at the Intel ARK page for my processor it states that my i7-2710qe has a total of 20 total PCIE lanes in the following configurations:
PCI Express Configurations: 1x16+1x4, 2x8+1x4, 1x8+3x4 This gave me hope since the qe is kind of odd and most other mobile chips of this era seem to only have a total of 16 lanes.

I just looked at the manual and there's nothing about bifurcation so you may very well be right but I was hoping someone here may have tested it before I concede.

I don't remember seeing any options in my older BIOS for bifurcation but I haven't upgraded to the latest yet. I was planing to load the latest BIOS into AMIBCP to see if any hidden options exist but perhaps I'm beating a dead horse. I guess not many people are still using these dinosaurs.