Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
if it's coming back out of speed 2 then you're plenty fine. If it gets hot enough that it just starts staying in speed 2 all day and approaching warning temp then I would be worried

kapone

May 23, 2015
Curious is anyone using a 6450 just as a l2 switch? I'm debating being lazy and keeping my ISP's router and using a 6450 to replace a basic dell switch and give me 10g goodness.
What he said.

I am using mine for the switching, POE, and L3 VLAN routing/ACL. I am leaving the firewall/routing/NAT and DHCP to an Ubiquiti edgerouter (including the DHCP servers for the VLAN's)

I have replaced the fans in a 7250-48P with some KDE1204PKVX fans. They will run mostly on the low speed and switch to the high speed for around 5 minutes around 20-30 times a day. Is it okay to let it run that close to the upper limit on heat and I should put some faster fans in there or just let it run warm?
umm...

I guess, enough said.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
if the Ruckus r720's are anything like my r700's you will be very happy with them. you gonna run the ZD (Zone Director) to manage them? im in a 2600 sq ft house and ended up only needing 2 and have 3 AP's sitting here.

my r700's hang off a Juniper Ex4200-48PX since my ICX6650 has no copper ports..
Well I got the 2 Ruckus r720's connected to my network and did a speedtest to compare against my unifi ap ac pro APs. On 2.5 ghz, the speeds are roughly the same. On 5 ghz, the Unifi significantly outperforms the ruckus r720's. The setup for the r720's are the default setup. Maybe I need to do some tinkering with the settings. So far I am disappointed with the ruckus. I'm not getting the performance I paid for.

I am using the Unleashed controller to manage the APs.

747builder

Dec 17, 2017
Well I got the 2 Ruckus r720's connected to my network and did a speedtest to compare against my unifi ap ac pro APs. On 2.5 ghz, the speeds are roughly the same. On 5 ghz, the Unifi significantly outperforms the ruckus r720's. The setup for the r720's are the default setup. Maybe I need to do some tinkering with the settings. So far I am disappointed with the ruckus. I'm not getting the performance I paid for.

I am using the Unleashed controller to manage the APs.
how much sq ft are you trying to cover with the 2 AP's?
what firmware version you running?

Performance wise you should be killing the unifi stuff and ive never used the Unleashed controller.

Im running a ZD1100 which is EoL but still gets the job done. i had to tinker a bit but performance from my zd7982 and then the r700 kills the Unifi stuff as well as Engenius that i ran before that.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
how much sq ft are you trying to cover with the 2 AP's?
what firmware version you running?

Performance wise you should be killing the unifi stuff and ive never used the Unleashed controller.

Im running a ZD1100 which is EoL but still gets the job done. i had to tinker a bit but performance from my zd7982 and then the r700 kills the Unifi stuff as well as Engenius that i ran before that.
I have 3800 sq. ft. The latest version of the Unleashed firmware 200.6.10.1.312. Not sure what is going. I guess I can run them in the standalone mode and then use Zonedirector or SmartZone controller. I thought you had to purchase a separate license for these controller and Unleashed was free. Please advise.

FYI.. I have 3 of the UniFi APs.

747builder

Dec 17, 2017
I have 3800 sq. ft. The latest version of the Unleashed firmware 200.6.10.1.312. Not sure what is going. I guess I can run them in the standalone mode and then use Zonedirector or SmartZone controller. I thought you had to purchase a separate license for these controller and Unleashed was free. Please advise.

FYI.. I have 3 of the UniFi APs.
if you run them in standalone, you can manage them either directly on each AP or pickup a ZoneDirector (which isnt free and have to have a support contract). if Unleashed is free, id see if you can make it work.

do you have 160Mhz channel width turned on?

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
if you run them in standalone, you can manage them either directly on each AP or pickup a ZoneDirector (which isnt free and have to have a support contract). if unleashed is free, id see if you can make it work.

do you have 160Mhz channel width turned on?
No.. I have 80Mhz channel turned on... I don't believe I saw an option for 160.

Updated.. Only 20, 40, 80 is available.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
I run the Ruckus SpeedFlex test between the Master AP and Member AP and I am getting uplink and downlink speeds in the neighborhood of 700mbps. I will try to conduct some speed test between the AP and a client.

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014
The speed test between the Master AP and the Client connected (5ghz) is around 400Mbps. I guess I need to check my setup on the ICX6610 switch.

Snorf

Nov 12, 2018
BC, Canada
I am considering an R710 as well, your findings are of great interest.

I have an R510 and have noticed that with Wave 2 devices it performs at full speeds. However, with non wave 2 devices there are issues. If I enable the rate limiter I can achieve faster speeds than just leaving it on auto (no rate limit per station). I am trying mine at different speeds but presently have it set at 400 and all devices seem happy.

Snorf

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014

I have an R510 and have noticed that with Wave 2 devices it performs at full speeds. However, with non wave 2 devices there are issues. If I enable the rate limiter I can achieve faster speeds than just leaving it on auto (no rate limit per station). I am trying mine at different speeds but presently have it set at 400 and all devices seem happy.

Snorf
These APs definitely requires some tinkering out of the box to achieve desired performance. Still tinkering on my side. At the end of the day, I still think I made the right decision in purchasing the Ruckus R720 to replace the Unifi APs.

747builder

Dec 17, 2017

Snorf
im running a 2 ruckus r700 run by a ZD (Zone Director) since unleashed isnt supported on them and since performance is really good , i havent bothered upgrading to a r710 or r720 as i dont need to chase the fastest WiFi out there.

i spent *MAYBE* 2 hours messing with the ZD when i first got my r700's and i havent touched it in a year or so.

Snorf

Nov 12, 2018
BC, Canada
I used the CLI on the initial configuration (followed the instructions) but have been using the GUI on the ICX 6610 and 7250 mostly since then. Is there really anything you cannot do in the GUI that you can do in the CLI other than initial config from unknown state? It seems really good.

Snorf

747builder

Dec 17, 2017
These APs definitely requires some tinkering out of the box to achieve desired performance. Still tinkering on my side. At the end of the day, I still think I made the right decision in purchasing the Ruckus R720 to replace the Unifi APs.
UniFi never impressed me, ive installed probably 100+ installations of it.

the datasheet on the r720 hints to a 160mhz channel width, whats your channel width on the Unifi AC Pro thats getting better performance and what channel?

might want to setup the r720 exactly as the Unifi AC Pro was and see what performance looks like then.

Freebsd1976

Feb 23, 2018
Unless seller can provide pictures of each switch and let you pick one, I would not do it. Wait for good listing even if it costs little more.
yeah still have several month before my colleague leave USA, hope some sellers have good deal in this timespan.

juey

Oct 1, 2018
Germany
For the 6610: Is it possible to add PoE functionality to non-PoE Switches e.g. adding a PoE PSU and a PoE Daughter Card ? Or is the SoC different ?

Zervun

Feb 2, 2019
Oregon
For the 6610: Is it possible to add PoE functionality to non-PoE Switches e.g. adding a PoE PSU and a PoE Daughter Card ? Or is the SoC different ?
Probably almost impossible to find the PoE Daughter card if even doable. Just finding the PSUs is a bit tricky and pricey. PSUs running around 120 bucks a pop. When you can get a fully kitted out one for ~320 with both PSUs, fans, etc if you shop around it would probably just be cheaper to get a whole switch imo.

dlaffin1012

Feb 21, 2019
Alright, I originally bought a LB4M and now came across fohdeesha's post on the LB4M thread about the 6450's and now the 6610's. I first looked at the 6450's but wanted dual power supply like the LB4M. So the 6610's became a option, although two can take up a chunk of power as my current LB4M uses about 60W and not 110W.

I am looking to buy two 6610's. Unfortunately the prices have gone up a bit so I thought about the 24 port version but they cost as much as the 48 port version anyway. I want to get two 6610's and stack them even though I don't need 96 ports, I want to and I want to do redundancy.

I have a few questions involving that. Can all of the 4 QSFP ports used as the 40gbe ports? I know the stacking ports have been confirmed as working for 40gbe and not just stacking ports. but are the breakout ports able to be used as 40gbe ports rather than breaking out to 4x 10gbe ports. I would like to stack the switches and then plug in my NAS and Backup server to the switches using QSFP but doing LACP where one port is on the first switch and one is on the second switch. Essentially if I stack them, I should still have 4 QSFP 40gbe ports left right?

The other question is is the POE version worth getting at all? I have nothing that is POE and nothing planned to be POE. Is it a hassle to have injectors if I ever did get something POE or do I just get the P version and not use the POE side of it. Is there a significant difference in power usage between the P version and non-P version if I am not using the POE?

At this point if there is anyone out there selling these, where I could get two 6610-24 for a decent price, let me know, otherwise I will look into 6610-48's on ebay.

Last edited: