Plexinator v1 -

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
Build’s Name: Plexinator
Operating System/ Storage Platform: Unraid
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard: Asrock x370 Taichi
Chassis: Storinator AV15
Drives: (15) - 8TB Drives - Already Owned
RAM: 16GB
Add-in Cards: Intel 10GB AIC, Intel 1.2TB AIC, NVidia P2000
Power Supply: Corsair (Came with Storinator kit)
Other Bits: Need a SAS3 HBA

Usage Profile:
(1) Plex - Nvidia P200o for transcode of 1080p content under windows VM - 4k content will not be shared. (2) Dockers for Plex media management

I'm in a vicious cycle of upgraditus. My QNAP Ryzen TS-1277 bay unit is almost filled and I don't feel like replacing all the drives.

I'v been eyeing the Storinator AV15 for a while now but I didn't think the compute was up to par. I contacted them and was able to purchase the chassis. I'mplanning to transplant my desktop motherboard into the chassis. I'm also considering just getting a supermicro motherboard with it built in.

I have a few SAS2 AICs around buttThe "back plane" in the storinator kit need to be directly connected to a SAS3 HBA. I need to source that card.

Anyone has a suggestion on where I can pickup a SAS3 HBA? I also welcome any comments.

Reactions: BennyT and maze

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Seems like a Powerful setup - Nice looking :)

Im doing the p2000 passthrough thing myself. Works quite well :)

Reactions: gigatexal

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Very nice looking build! I've always liked the Storinator chassis'...didn't realize you could get just the case, nice work. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

I'm actually about to tackle the upgrade of my Plex server right now. Will post some before pics in a bit and then some after pics later tonight.

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
Seems like a Powerful setup - Nice looking :)

Im doing the p2000 passthrough thing myself. Works quite well :)
@maze I had a Windows 2016 VM with Plex under UnRaid and it was unstable. I'm hoping to give it another swing.

Very nice looking build! I've always liked the Storinator chassis'...didn't realize you could get just the case, nice work. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

I'm actually about to tackle the upgrade of my Plex server right now. Will post some before pics in a bit and then some after pics later tonight.
@IamSpartacus I was following your build as well. You made a great choice moving to the x10 platform. It's much more bang for your buck. If I didn't have this Ryzen system laying around I would follow your lead.

45Drives didn't sell the Storinator chassis only before, but I read on another forum that they opened up to it. I sent them an email and was rocking two days later.

Spec sheet for AV15 says they are using this mothervoard which has a Broadcom 3008 12G SAS3 with 8 ports: X11SSH-CTF | Motherboards | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc.

You could get add-in card with same 3008.
@amalurk - That's the plan. I just need to source one.

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
I need three 92mm and 120mm fans. I love noctua but my wallet hates them. Does anyone have suggestions on good fans that aren't loud?

May 4, 2015
I might have a LSI 3008 in my collection of parts... I can check to see when I get home if you are interested.

halfelite

Oct 10, 2014
Why run a windows VM for plex? Why not just run a docker with passthrough to the GPU?

Also just to note as you said you are not passing 4k content. The newest version of plex has some tone mapping built in for HDR being transcoded so it no longer a huge issue.

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
Why run a windows VM for plex? Why not just run a docker with passthrough to the GPU?

Also just to note as you said you are not passing 4k content. The newest version of plex has some tone mapping built in for HDR being transcoded so it no longer a huge issue.
@halfelite
They finally tackled tone mapping? That's great news. On what version was this implemented? I just updated to the latest beta and it's still washed out for me.

Now for pass-through. I just saw the video from spaceinvaderone. I wonder if it does encode and decode.

What are the dimensions on the chassis?
@jingram - The case is 20.000" x 17.125" x 7.000"

Last edited:

maze

Apr 27, 2013
@maze I had a Windows 2016 VM with Plex under UnRaid and it was unstable. I'm hoping to give it another swing.
Mine is running quite well, win 2016 vm, 16gb ram, xeon-d 1521 4 cores passed through and the p2000.

Unless im wrong, linux still cant decode content with cpu, windows can.[/QUOTE]

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Unless im wrong, linux still cant decode content with cpu, windows can.

I believe this is still the case. It's actually not Linux, it's Plex's version of ffmpeg. In Emby both encode and decode work in Linux. Once Plex updates their version to support this and I see the progress of the container supported passthrough coming along I will consider adding a P2000. For now I've got enough CPU juice to handle the job and I've also gone the Optimized Versions (of recently added media) on very fast (pool of Samsung 950 Pro's) storage route to limit transcoding needs.

halfelite

Oct 10, 2014
@halfelite
They finally tackled tone mapping? That's great news. On what version was this implemented? I just updated to the latest beta and it's still washed out for me.
It was briefly released in the forum version the lighter faster version. They turned it back off when they moved that release over to main so it is coming it was undisclosed that it was activated on the forum release most likely by accident. But it did max a cpu core 100% no hardware for that.

I believe this is still the case. It's actually not Linux, it's Plex's version of ffmpeg. In Emby both encode and decode work in Linux. Once Plex updates their version to support this and I see the progress of the container supported passthrough coming along I will consider adding a P2000. For now I've got enough CPU juice to handle the job and I've also gone the Optimized Versions (of recently added media) on very fast (pool of Samsung 950 Pro's) storage route to limit transcoding needs.
I run unraid with plex docker and it uses my Xeon HW just fine. Almost all the Linux HW encoding was fixed as of 1.13.9 as long as you are running somewhat of a new kernel. You still have to to enable modprobe i915 but it works.

Last edited:

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
It was briefly released in the forum version the lighter faster version. They turned it back off when they moved that release over to main so it is coming it was undisclosed that it was activated on the forum release.

I run unraid with plex docker and it uses my Xeon HW just fine. Almost all the Linux HW encoding was fixed as of 1.13.9 as long as you are running somewhat of a new kernel. You still have to to enable modprobe i915 but it works.
iGPU works for both encode and decode in Linux for Plex yes, but not nvidia cards based on what others have reported.

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
Got the donor mobo/cpu prepped and I'm just wondering if I should just go the same route as @IamSpartacus . I need want more PCI-E lanes, IPMI and low power consumption. Why can't I just be content :( ?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Got the donor mobo/cpu prepped and I'm just wondering if I should just go the same route as @IamSpartacus . I need want more PCI-E lanes, IPMI and low power consumption. Why can't I just be content :( ?
IPMI alone is a deal breaker for me. I can't tell you how many times it's made my life so much easier in major troubleshooting situations. It's also nice to not need a VGA capable display laying around anymore.

Reactions: DaddyGrant

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
How much did they charge for the chassis?
Everything came out to like $1200 including shipping (Not cheap - Luxury Purchase for sure)

Chassis + Corsair Power Supply + Pre-wired Backplane + Front USB adapter + All the cabling needed for powering everything + Rails + Screw Pack + Power Button (Added Option)

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
Got the Front Panel installed with some of the custom power cables. The 92mm front fans go directly into the power supply while the 120mm Fans in the middle plug into the motherboard.