Anyone ever used Dell Force10 S55t-AC switch (or similar)? Any good?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
Hey,

So I have a similar switch, a D-Link DGS-3427, which is a 24-port gigabit switch with a 10G backbone (I have two CX4 expanders currently). I really like it but I can't help there might be some nicer stuff out there that could be had cheap.

Has anyone worked with the Dell Force10 network equipment? I didn't even know Dell made switches until I saw these on eBay for like <$100.

Plus, 48-ports (44 1Gbase-T + 4 SFP) and the expanders are groups of two either CX-4 or SFP+ (two expansion slots). Oh, and redundant power supplies.

Looks pretty kick ass, but is anyone familiar with them? Are they shitty for some reason I'm not noticing? WTF are they so cheap? I'm sure it's loud AF but I had to put new fans in my D-Link anyway, so it's not anything I can't handle...

Lemme know if you've tried one of these or something similar, would love to hear your experiences...

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
i bought a couple of force10 s4810p for $300 and they work pretty good, no web gui, and firmware was a couple year old, but performance was spot on! just make sure you get ipv6 if you think you might need it, and web gui if you fancy that, and make sure firmware is reasonably up to date last couple of years!

aero

Apr 27, 2016
I've used various force 10 switches before Dell bought them, and they are excellent. The cli can take some getting used to though.

I'd say force10 is the best line that Dell has to offer in networking.

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
I'm not sure how important this is to you, but it doesn't look like you can get access to the Force 10 firmware updates without a support contract.

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
i bought a couple of force10 s4810p for $300 and they work pretty good, no web gui, and firmware was a couple year old, but performance was spot on! just make sure you get ipv6 if you think you might need it, and web gui if you fancy that, and make sure firmware is reasonably up to date last couple of years!
Mmmmm... that looks like a yummy switch for $300 (!) guhdarm.

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
I'm not sure how important this is to you, but it doesn't look like you can get access to the Force 10 firmware updates without a support contract.
I was thinking the same thing when I saw their support portal.

Do you think it's possible to just get an account without a contract for access to downloads? Not at all familiar with Dell enterprise equipment.

Edit:

How do I get upgrades for my Force10 unit? - Dell Community

Gotta love the googles.