ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Elton_Setan

Jan 18, 2019
Don't worry it'll work fine, if you don't mess up ;)

That's what mine looked like, just insulate and ziptie away the cables you don't need anymore

Looks good, I'm getting the adapter tomorrow so I won't have to directly modify my PSU. I'll let you know how it worked out. :)

Reactions: nero243

ground1556

Jan 9, 2019
Apparently some ebay buyer managed to get one of the blank x299 CPUs to work, but the information surrounding it is quite lacking.

Not sure if I'm allowed to link the seller, but if you search the above title in sold items you can probably find the review. Couldn't find anything beyond this yet though.

Elton_Setan

Jan 18, 2019
Don't worry it'll work fine, if you don't mess up ;)

That's what mine looked like, just insulate and ziptie away the cables you don't need anymore

Hello,

I'm trying to reconnect the cables to a new adaper, but I keep wondering which cable is the P5V_STBY.
Is it the purple one? I'm kind of using your picture as a guide, would you mind uploading another picture from different angle?

Thanks.

Last edited:

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
Sold the PSU with Board a long time ago, can't provide you with another picture.

Purple is normally 5V Standby, just use take a look at a normal ATX connector pinout.

kijun93

Mar 19, 2017
If the price was cheaper, I would definitely get it for my QDBW.

As far as I know, the early samples of haswell-ep's only supports DDR3.
I assume that's why it shows memory error q-code when I try to boot it up with DDR4 rams.

I gotta keep my eyes on that mobo.
Thank you.

tesla100

Jun 15, 2016
Depends on the CPU... Check the Intel's ARK for the specific CPU to see the supported memory speeds..

EvilMagpie

Feb 18, 2019
I have a Supermicro X11SPL-F that I'm trying to use with a QJW0 CPU. The problem is the board isn't happy with any memory I use in it, and won't properly POST. I've tried super-gamer-XMP-DDR4-2800 desktop memory, DDR4 registered ECC 2133, and even a single DDR4 registered ECC 2666 stick. Yes, I've tried different slots and resetting the CMOS battery several times. I'm using a standard ATX PSU, if that helps any.

Janiashvili

Dec 16, 2016
Depends on the CPU... Check the Intel's ARK for the specific CPU to see the supported memory speeds..
They don't mention 1.35v speeds (motherboard manuals if I understand it correctly note max speed of 1333 mhz for PC3L/1.35v DIMMs)

Oh, I just noticed this is a ES Xeon Discussion board, not General Xeon Discussion

Last edited:
Reactions: arglebargle

EvilMagpie

Feb 18, 2019
The board posts and works just fine with an actual S-series Bronze 3104. It even likes the AData unregistered non-ECC DDR4-2800 memory.
Max power usage of the CPU is around 30W, oddly enough, as indicated by Core Temp. When going into AVX mode with Prime 95, it stays at 1.3 GHz. I have a power meter which measures barely over 80W coming from the wall under full load.
I haven't tried to put the QJW0 back in yet.

Mihail

Dec 4, 2017
got exactly same board and xeon ql1l xeon works fine with 64GB (8x8 2133 RDIMMs) only thing thats annoying usb detection beeps are, the problem i think you have with qjw0 is that its xeon phi and not scalable that board supports...

Judgie

Jul 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
So an update for anyone who may be experiencing a similar problem, Bios version P3.70 finally corrects this issue. Memory finally runs at the full speed supported by the CPU.

It's been a while but......

So it seems the Asrock X99 Extreme 3 simply won't support Haswell and Crucial DDR4 Registered Memory running at 1866mhz, despite supporting it just like the E5-1628L v3 does. I've just tested with a genuine (non-ES) E5-1603 v3 with all pads intact and Windows Server absolutely will not boot unless the ram is running at DDR4-1333 or less. Only V4 E5's will boot at DDR4-1866 on this board.

Seems the E5-2628L V3 was running correct for a Haswell Xeon in this board to begin with.... Very very interesting.....

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
Hi fellas.

First of all, thanks for having generated this interesting and instructive thread.

I'm in the process of building a cheap but powerful workstation for deep learning. I already selected the mainboard, the Asrock x99 OC Formula, since it supports four GPUs, it is shown to consume less than many other x99 products, supports 8 ecc RDIMMs, and should have the microcode needed for ES support (I don't care about overclocking).

Coming to the cpu, I'd like to stay >=10C/20T and above 2.6/2.8 GHz. I'd prefer a QS rather than an ES.

That said, I'd like to ask:

1. Is a QS cpu equal (in terms of compatibility, power draw and functionality) to a retail/oem equivalent?

2. Is there any substantial difference between v3 and v4, apart from TSX-NI? How much will a v4 be faster than a v3 on a basis of same core count/frequency?

3. Is there any substantial difference between e5-46xxv3/v4 and e5-26xxv3/v4? Particularly, in terms of compatibility. Note that this chart: List of Intel Xeon microprocessors - Wikipedia, does not show the usual turbo steps (e.g. 2/3/4/5/6/6/6/6) for 46xx cpus. There is just one turbo frequency. Why? Last but not least, the 46xx tend to be cheaper than their 26xx equivalents. Why?

Thanks! ;)

Last edited:

kijun93

Mar 19, 2017
Hi fellas.

First of all, thanks for having generated this interesting and instructive thread.

I'm in the process of building a cheap but powerful workstation for deep learning. I already selected the mainboard, the Asrock x99 OC Formula, since it supports four GPUs, it is shown to consume less than many other x99 products, supports 8 ecc RDIMMs, and should have the microcode needed for ES support (I don't care about overclocking).

Coming to the cpu, I'd like to stay >=10C/20T and above 2.6/2.8 GHz. I'd prefer a QS rather than an ES.

That said, I'd like to ask:

1. Is a QS cpu equal (in terms of compatibility, power draw and functionality) to a retail/oem equivalent?

2. Is there any substantial difference between v3 and v4, apart from TSX-NI? How much will a v4 be faster than a v3 on a basis of same core count/frequency?

3. Is there any substantial difference between e5-46xxv3/v4 and e5-26xxv3/v4? Particularly, in terms of compatibility. Note that this chart: List of Intel Xeon microprocessors - Wikipedia, does not show the usual turbo steps (e.g. 2/3/4/5/6/6/6/6) for 46xx cpus. There is just one turbo frequency. Why? Last but not least, the 46xx tend to be cheaper than their 26xx equivalents. Why?

Thanks! ;)

26xx are for 2 cpu configuration.
46xx are for 4 cpu confirguration.
so you can install 2/4 maximum depends on your mobo.

it's probably because you have to install more cpus in small room? i dunno haha xD

kijun93

Mar 19, 2017
I have purchased this mobo today.

I already got 16gb pc12800r x 4 for 60. so i'll test out with QDBW sample and other xeons.
hope the turbohack work with this mobo as well.

Reactions: scraper

Marsh

May 12, 2013
95% of the time is true. Depend on the QS version of the chip.

If your software does not take advantage the latest instruction set. Then it comes down to cost / benefit.
V4 QS chip cost is much higher than V3 , supply and demand plays a major factor with ebay seller.

3. Supply and demand . Price is cheaper because E5-46xx v3 is not well understood by most user , not well document , too many unknown and risk. I buy E5-46xx v3 chip when it is below $90-$100

I just looked up my ebay purchase record.
Mar 2017, purchased 2 x E5-2683 v3 retail SR1XH for $75 each with Best Offer on Ebay

During the time, E5-2683 v3 was not well understood that would worked well with the all-core-turbo-hack.

It comes down to supply-demand, luck-timing

EvilMagpie

Feb 18, 2019
Interesting. I've obtained an actual Xeon Phi 7210, and the heat spreader is keyed differently when compared to the QJW0 and the Xeon Bronze. Further, when looking at the underside of the 7210, there are four spots where a 4x4 or 4x6 set of pins are missing; this isn't the case with the QJW0 or the Bronze.