Cisco UCS C240M3 12-bay LFF NAS barebone for $200 (price drop from $250) free shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DRAGONKZ

Apr 9, 2018
All UCS servers can run in HBA/IT mode without flashing. It’s an option in CIMC.

Have a 240 M4 LFF with FreeNAS on a pool of disks in HBA mode. No issues.
The 9266 and 9271 Cisco branded LSI controllers in the M3 generation can only do RAID mode.

M4 onwards can do JBOD.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Full lspci attached.

The RAID

Code:
0d:00.0 RAID bus controller [0104]: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic MegaRAID SAS-3 3108 [Invader] [1000:005d] (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Cisco Systems Inc MegaRAID SAS-3 3108 [Invader] [1137:00db]
        Physical Slot: 0-2
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 37, NUMA node 0
        I/O ports at 5000 [size=256]
        Memory at c7500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        Memory at c7400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
        Expansion ROM at c7300000 [disabled] [size=1M]
        Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [68] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [d0] Vital Product Data
        Capabilities: [a8] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable+ 64bit+
        Capabilities: [c0] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=97 Masked-
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [1e0] #19
        Capabilities: [1c0] Power Budgeting <?>
        Capabilities: [148] Alternative Routing-ID Interpretation (ARI)
        Kernel driver in use: megaraid_sas
        Kernel modules: megaraid_sas
Thanks! So you have a LSI SAS3108? Yeah, I think that can do HBA mode, and that perfectly answers my question, as you can see at the bottom line, that is using the megaraid_sas driver and not the mpt3sas or other driver. That's exactly what I wanted to know. From my experience, if it is using the megaraid_sas driver, one issue you will have (compared to proper IT mode firmware) is that the /dev/sgX devices don't show up, so you can't run sg_format on the HDDs in the megaraid "HBA" mode. At least, I had that problem with Dell H330 with megaraid firmware and using the megaraid_sas driver. Once I moved to a proper IT mode firmware card, I could access the /dev/sgX devices.

Now, LSI SAS3108 probably means that machine is NOT the M3, right? I think the M3 generation of machines only had SAS2008 or SAS2208, no?

oddball

May 18, 2018
Thanks! So you have a LSI SAS3108? Yeah, I think that can do HBA mode, and that perfectly answers my question, as you can see at the bottom line, that is using the megaraid_sas driver and not the mpt3sas or other driver. That's exactly what I wanted to know. From my experience, if it is using the megaraid_sas driver, one issue you will have (compared to proper IT mode firmware) is that the /dev/sgX devices don't show up, so you can't run sg_format on the HDDs in the megaraid "HBA" mode. At least, I had that problem with Dell H330 with megaraid firmware and using the megaraid_sas driver. Once I moved to a proper IT mode firmware card, I could access the /dev/sgX devices.

Now, LSI SAS3108 probably means that machine is NOT the M3, right? I think the M3 generation of machines only had SAS2008 or SAS2208, no?
I have a 220 m3, 240 m3 that have this RAID controller. I also have a number of m4 UCS machines with the MegaRAID 12g controller. I sent the output from the MegaRaid one because I have Linux on one of those machines. The rest have Windows, or a hypervisor.

klammore

Jun 17, 2016
No matter what version of java I use i get the following error. This is after whitelisting the IPs and loading the cert.

CIMC Firmware: 3.0(4j)

Code:
com.sun.deploy.net.FailedDownloadException: Unable to load resource: https://10.10.0.101:443/software/avctNuova.jar
    at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.actionDownload(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.downloadResource(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.deploy.cache.ResourceProviderImpl.getResource(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.deploy.cache.ResourceProviderImpl.getResource(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.LaunchDownload$DownloadTask.call(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Attached is the HBA info, windows is currently on this device so let me know what driver/device properties you'd like to know.

Looks like it's utilizing the MegaRaid firmware as Smart info isn't being passed to the host OS.

Attachments

Last edited:

klammore

Jun 17, 2016
Yeah, I've tried the following versions, thanks to different forum posts saying they work:

EDIT: Just a major issue on one of my workstations with Java.

Last edited: