SM 36 Bay SAS2 With Pics

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
This Is what i got after pevious 36 bay was damaged. So it already has a card with v20 IT Mode on it. Have to check again to see exactly which card.

Supermicro 4U 36-Bay SAS2 Server X9DRI-LN4F+ 2x Xeon E5-2680 2.7ghz 128gb

Reactions: gigatexal

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
On this one - no - the handles were takn off prior to shipping and this one was packed with the hard foam. I only the one with the power switch one. Buty the previous one - yes the handle with the power switch was sheared right off damaging the chassis holes.

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
Glad this one worked out! Did you end up exchanging the broken one? I can't believe the crappy supermicro design on these handles given how well thought out the rest of the chassis is.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
Yes i sent the broke one back. Seller gave me the refund. This one cost more but has newer hardware so that's a plus.

kapone

May 23, 2015
Glad this one worked out! Did you end up exchanging the broken one? I can't believe the crappy supermicro design on these handles given how well thought out the rest of the chassis is.
It's not a "crappy" design. In the 846/847 chassis, there literally is no other place to put these buttons. None.

And since the handle has a small PCB inside with an even flimsier ribbon cable that goes inside the chassis, the handle is naturally less sturdy than something that does not have these parts and is attached more securely to the chassis.

The problem is...packaging. If you use the stock Supermicro packaging it is so substantial that there is no risk of the handle breaking off. If you use aftermarket but good packaging, it'll not break off. If you use crappy packaging...well...

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
So an update: Got the Boot drive an 800gb S3500 installed and W10 installed. It's way more noisy than my 24 bay. And there's no option in the BIOS for fan speed on the X9 series so i assume i have to do it via IPMI?

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
IPMI is definitely your friend for this. Changing fan settings without needing to boot into BIOS setup is great. The basic settings provide some flexibility but the raw commands allow for much more granular control of the PWM fans. I'm sure you've already seen it, but the guide below is a great resource.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?resources/supermicro-x9-x10-x11-fan-speed-control.20/
Thx for that!

Now another question for you or anyone else - with 36 bays obviously i will run out of letters so should i use volume mount points from the start or use letters and then when i run out use mount points? W10 FYI.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
Why would you use that as 36 individual disks in the first place?
so it's going to running W10 Pro, Snap Raid and drive pool but i have to make the disk visible to windows first though before adding to snapraid and drivepool and i see stuff on reddit where most folks recommended volument mounts over drive letters so i just asking should i start with mount points first or am i missing something?

this is to offer some degree of protection for about 200 TB of video.

kapone

May 23, 2015
@Kneelbeforezod - 200TB of data and you're not sure about drive letters vs mount points? Not to sound..well...let's just say there's a learning curve here.

p.s. Disks in Drivepool pool(s) do not require drive letters before or after being added.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
@Kneelbeforezod either option would work, but since you know you're going to end up with at least some mount points I'd just stick with them to be consistent. It will look much nicer when you're working on your snapraid configs and when you need to navigate to specific volumes.