Understanding operating temperature of a device especially ones that are pci mounted.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
One of my file server is using adaptec 81605 hardware raid adapter. I havent paid much attention to the temperature of the card, but recently I noticed that it is idling at 80 degrees Celsius. I've done some research on their operating temperature and I came across this docs. The doc also refer to this link for further explanation.
The doc stated that operating temperature of the controller should be between 0 degrees Celsius to 55 degrees Celsius, yet the other link says maximum die operating temperature is 100 degrees Celsius. Warning will be issued at around 95 degrees Celsius.

So my question is; the 55 degrees operating temperature they are talking about, is that a recommended running temp ?? or is it chassis ambient temperature ?? (the second docs have note after the tables that describe temperature is measured 1" away from the raid processor).

Does this logic only works on adaptec raid controller ?? Let say i have a SSD or NVME with 0-60 degress operating temperature, is that mean the device smart temp monitor cannot exceed 60 degrees or the case ambient temperature should not go over 60 degrees ?

nvmetemp.JPG

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Those are device-specific temperatures.

Add a fan to your adaptec card, or situate one blowing over the pci-e slots to get some airflow.

Swap any solid pci-e blank covers out for slotted ones and encourage airflow past the card.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Those are device-specific temperatures.

Add a fan to your adaptec card, or situate one blowing over the pci-e slots to get some airflow.

Swap any solid pci-e blank covers out for slotted ones and encourage airflow past the card.
The chassis is supermicro 836 and I have done all that.. Currently the fan is running on Heavy IO mode with the fan on the left (which are cooling the PCI slot) running at 5000 rpm where the other 4 fan running at around 3600 rpm. I've also used slotted pci blank cover, yet the card temperature is still at 80 degress with ambient temperature around 78 degrees Fahrenheit.

I suppose since it is still below the 95 degrees Celsius that I am safe, however, I am curious as to why the recommended temperature and the trip temperature is almost double ? or is it ambient temperature that they are listing and not the core/die temperature.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
operating temperature of the controller should be between 0 degrees Celsius to 55 degrees Celsius
That's the system/ambient temperature
the other link says maximum die operating temperature is 100 degrees Celsius. Warning will be issued at around 95 degrees Celsius.
These are the temperatures of the chip itself, and it's usually much higher than the ambient temperature
Does this logic only works on adaptec raid controller ?
No, this applies to most (if not all) add on cards.
The chassis is supermicro 836
If you have the air shrou,d you could adjust it to force air through the heatsink of the controller and still run the optimal fan settings
Edit:

Last edited:

azev

Jan 18, 2013
If you have the air shrou,d you could adjust it to force air through the heatsink of the controller and still run the optimal fan settings
Edit:
Thanks for the info, at the very least this confirm my suspicion about understanding the temperature specs.
As far as the shroud, I didn't realize those sliders are meant to direct air to the slots. As it stands now I put all my PCI addons card in the middle thinking that it would get more air flow that way.

Another thought I have right now is to vhb tape another supermicro fan to the lid position close to the pci slot and connected them to the FAN A/B. This way there are more static air pressure towards all the pci cards. Another thought I have is probably swap the far left fan with a higher CFM fan from other supermicro chassis. The noise increase on the later solutions is the downside, so I might go with the additional fan.
I need to do some measuring to make sure I can put in the biggest fan that would fit, hopefully this way I can limit the amount of additional noise.

Another options is to ignore it I suppose, since both the ambient and the card temperature is still within the parameters of the specs.

Sixthofmay

Jan 15, 2019
All the HBA or RAID cards and expanders I've used by 3Ware , LSI, Adaptec, Chenbro run too hot for long life. Even the ones with fans...

I've had to add a fan to all that had none, and reengineer those that did have a fan.