$380 Micron 3.2TB S630DC SAS SSD & other capacities available

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Have the same as @Axam on my labels.

@RobSam do you have blanks in the caddies around the SSD's / all empty caddies ?
Without blanks these can hurt the whole airflow quite a lot, what might show up with the SSD's now.
Or do you mean the slots are empty, no caddies at all when you say 'Both slots above and below the Micron SSD are blank.' ?
This would be fatal, if so put anything in there - best an empty caddy with the beige 'blank', if you have no 'blank' an empty caddie is better than nothing.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Worst case just build you own blinds with pieces of cardboard or duct tape only to force the air to go via the filled drive sleds...
Else most of the air goes via the empty slots since there is less resistance.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
And is everybody who already installed them seeing the high heat levels? Makes me slightly worried... especially with the mentioned high failure rate... @iriscloud any idea re the failure rate percentage? I mean, a couple a week if they have thousands might not be much, but on dozens...

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
And is everybody who already installed them seeing the high heat levels? Makes me slightly worried... especially with the mentioned high failure rate... @iriscloud any idea re the failure rate percentage? I mean, a couple a week if they have thousands might not be much, but on dozens...
from @marcoi 's post, it's temp at 25c which is pretty good. But regarding failure rate, that might need to wait for a while to see if it's that bad :(.

Axam

Aug 15, 2017
Up to 960GB drives are 7mm height with single board, 1.6-3.84TB are 2 boards "sandwich" and 15mm height. My educated guess is that 1.6TB+ drives will run hotter.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
any update on which cable to use if connecting the drive directly to the hba? there was some discussion about the sff8482 vs 8680. I was wondering if the hba supports sas3 (12Gbps), would the sff8482 limit these drives? also, does anyone know how to benchmark within vmware?

Reactions: Gadgetguru

ru me

Jun 2, 2018
I was just looking into this. It seems that there is both a WD SAS and a SATA version. Just be sure what you are buying. Also not clear from the pictures whether the full face of the drive will make contact with the heat sink. Do you know?

If you get these, be sure to get the WD version not the generic. The WD ones were wired for SAS while the generic ones are usually SATA only. I did not know this until some eBay SAS SSDs came in them.[/QUOTE]

azev

Jan 18, 2013
any update on which cable to use if connecting the drive directly to the hba? there was some discussion about the sff8482 vs 8680. I was wondering if the hba supports sas3 (12Gbps), would the sff8482 limit these drives? also, does anyone know how to benchmark within vmware?
I think the main key is to use quality cable such as Amphenol or supermicro brand (I used either for all sas cable needs). Do not use cheap cables from ebay or amazon as those proven to be hit or miss sometimes. The cable I use to connect individual sas drive in my desktop is Amphenol MiniSAS SFF8643 4xSAS SFF8482 that I got from ebay. I got my 12Gb sas drive connected at 12Gb just fine and benchmark shows expected performance. I've tested this cable with sandisk lightning II & HGST 12Gb sas drive and they works fine at 12Gb. Here's the link.

Reactions: Gadgetguru

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I think the main key is to use quality cable such as Amphenol or supermicro brand (I used either for all sas cable needs). Do not use cheap cables from ebay or amazon as those proven to be hit or miss sometimes. The cable I use to connect individual sas drive in my desktop is Amphenol MiniSAS SFF8643 4xSAS SFF8482 that I got from ebay. I got my 12Gb sas drive connected at 12Gb just fine and benchmark shows expected performance. I've tested this cable with sandisk lightning II & HGST 12Gb sas drive and they works fine at 12Gb. Here's the link.
Thanks for the info. What do you use the white molex connectors for? Do you know how to test the speed with vmware?
Thanks again for your help,
jp

azev

Jan 18, 2013
The molex connector is for powering the sas drives and you can validate negotiated sas speed in the HBA bios, or the software that came with the HBA. I am not sure if you could natively check for negotiated sas speed within esxi.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
The molex connector is for powering the sas drives and you can validate negotiated sas speed in the HBA bios, or the software that came with the HBA. I am not sure if you could natively check for negotiated sas speed within esxi.
thhanks for the (very) quick reply. does that mean that we would need to run power cables from the psu and connect to each of the white molex on the sff8482? Is that potentially another difference between the 8482 and 8680 or do both require separate power from the psu? thanks also for the heads up on checking the bios for any info on negotiated speed. I may just try and boot temporarily with w10 to run some diagnostics with crystaldiskinfo tools.
jp

AVD2359

Jan 27, 2017
Any reason NOT to keep a 400GB as a spare for a ZFS pool of 400GB S3710? Are there better options that don't cost too much more?

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Any reason NOT to keep a 400GB as a spare for a ZFS pool of 400GB S3710? Are there better options that don't cost too much more?
I think these drive latency are not good enough to be used as zil.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I was able to get the 3.2TB drive working with the sm sas3008 hba directly connected via a sff-8643-4x sff8482. I ran some tests under w10 using crystaldiskmark 6. It got 1099 MB/s Read and 859MB/s Write. That should confirm that it is using the sas3 via this older cable. I needed to connect both the black sata/sas connector (to the ssd) and the white molex (to the psu). I was not able to get any detailed smart info yet from crystaldiskinfo. I am not sure if that tool works with sas3 or if I am missing some driver for w10. I simply connected the drive to the hba and installed into a server that was already configured with w10. I have another server that is an hpdl380 g10 that I was able to connect the micron ssd into the hp's backplane. That server is using vmware and was able to recognize the drive. I had a tough time trying to get any stats from vmware's monitoring menus but was able to find some cryptic hp cli (a combination of esxcli and hp cli) that showed some odd stats. it did manage to show some temps which I was having a hard time trying to find any way to query them.
Does anyone have any suggestions on which sw to use with w10 to see this drives smart info? am i missing a driver for crystaldiskinfo to work with this drive?
thanks,
jp

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I was able to get the 3.2TB drive working with the sm sas3008 hba directly connected via a sff-8643-4x sff8482. I ran some tests under w10 using crystaldiskmark 6. It got 1099 MB/s Read and 859MB/s Write. That should confirm that it is using the sas3 via this older cable. I needed to connect both the black sata/sas connector (to the ssd) and the white molex (to the psu). I was not able to get any detailed smart info yet from crystaldiskinfo. I am not sure if that tool works with sas3 or if I am missing some driver for w10. I simply connected the drive to the hba and installed into a server that was already configured with w10. I have another server that is an hpdl380 g10 that I was able to connect the micron ssd into the hp's backplane. That server is using vmware and was able to recognize the drive. I had a tough time trying to get any stats from vmware's monitoring menus but was able to find some cryptic hp cli (a combination of esxcli and hp cli) that showed some odd stats. it did manage to show some temps which I was having a hard time trying to find any way to query them.
Does anyone have any suggestions on which sw to use with w10 to see this drives smart info? am i missing a driver for crystaldiskinfo to work with this drive?
thanks,
jp
sorry for replying to my own thread but I wanted to get this sorted before the weekend! I found some sw on micron's site called storage executive: https://www.micron.com/products/solid-state-drives/storage-executive-software

This sw was at least able to show the temp (54C!) and some basic info. It also allowed me to upgrade to the latest firmware pretty easily. It checks to see if you have the latest and then prompts to upgrade to a newer version if available. If the machine is connected to the internet, it will automatically update. My 3.2TB drive was at M017 and it upgraded to M019. I was testing this on an openbench and ran some benchmarks. the drive got up to 54c so i put a small fan on it and it cooled back down to 39c.
hope this helps.
jp