Interview with Liu Jun, AVP and GM of AI and HPC for Inspur

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
AI is so full of crap. there is no I.

Basically because of modern processing power they just brute force solutions. Throw enough neurons and you can map anything. Hence why these companies and others are making a fortune off of it.

You end up with big server rooms to do simple tasks. just like the 1960s.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011

Basically because of modern processing power they just brute force solutions. Throw enough neurons and you can map anything. Hence why these companies and others are making a fortune off of it.

You can blame google for that, they brought back the AI buzzword.
Traditional HPC is brute force for exact answers... machine learning or deep learning is for when you don't need exact answers, when 92% will do... it can get there much much faster. It is the optimized solution.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Being fair here, the HPC guys are looking at DL training precision and thinking that in many cases that works for them as well.

S-F

Feb 9, 2011

As long as there is a non 0% probability computer assisted Montecarlo will get there faster.